• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**Official OMT** - Who's going to the season opener? (Not an OMT)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What were those three formations? We carried on switching in the second half. We change things when we are winning too.

We started with Winks at the base with Sissoko and Ndombele either side, Lamela was in the #10 position, Kane and Lucas were up front.

At half time Sissoko went wide right, Lamela wide left

We then changed to Sissoko and Ndombele as a double pivot, Lucas on the right, Erisken middle and Lamela left and scored three goals.

These are the formations. Does each play stay rigidly in a defined perimeter of course not, but the general shapes are true. The maps of the final 20 mins show this. We upped the intensity, but it' s the how did we up it, two wider man to press higher and better, wider options when in possession to help open up space that wasn't there before cause we had 3 players holding hands, getting Kane central and high instead of dropping deep and playing sideways passes and so on.

If start in the same formation next week we'll get slaughtered and rightly so. Poch can make all theses cryptic statements about his future, but he needs to address the job in hand, it's rare that I think a performance is down to the manager but today he has to take one on the chin.

Good result against a team that didn't want to play, lots more of these games to come this season. What should have been a good day out was spoilt for me by the macarons around me, the new breed who expect us to win every game by 4 or 5 and talk in pundit speak. It appears Winks only passes sideways along with all the others when they should have been passing forward into the massed defensive area, after 18 minutes the expert behind me (I call him "load the box" man) told us all NDembele was no better than what we have and was a waste of money, this was then followed by a continuing tirade that our season was over with this defeat. That's the problem with success you get a lot of tossers start following you.

I thought moving Lamela out to the left wing changed the game for us as he had been filling the space that Kane and Moura like to move into and blocking our play, he also gave some cover for Rose who looked very shaky in defence, we should have scored 2 or 3 in the 10 minutes of the second half before our saviour (according to the media) came on wearing Sissokos shooting boots.

I really like Eriksen and feel when he plays well we play well, but if he is giving the manager a problem for what ever reason I would back the manager rather than the player.

Eriksen wants to move on but we can’t sell him now as the window has closed. He’s still the most creative player we have by a distance and should start most games. He made a big difference when he came on.

We started with Winks at the base with Sissoko and Ndombele either side, Lamela was in the #10 position, Kane and Lucas were up front.

We then changed to Sissoko and Ndombele as a double pivot, Lucas on the right, Eriksen-sen-sen middle and Lamela left and scored three goals.

These are the formations. Does each play stay rigidly in a defined perimeter of course not, but the general shapes are true. The maps of the final 20 mins show this. We upped the intensity, but it' s the how did we up it, two wider man to press higher and better, wider options when in possession to help open up space that wasn't there before cause we had 3 players holding hands, getting Kane central and high instead of dropping deep and playing sideways passes and so on.

If start in the same formation next week we'll get slaughtered and rightly so. Poch can make all theses cryptic statements about his future, but he needs to address the job in hand, it's rare that I think a performance is down to the manager but today he has to take one on the chin.

These are Sissoko's touches between Erksen coming on and Ndomble going off

Sissoko-double-pivot.png

These are Eriksen's during the same period

Eriksen-double.png

And Ndombele's

Ndombele-double.png

Is that us really playing with a double pivot?

What we did do after Eriksen came on was overload them down our right hand side (Sissoko, KWP and Moura all playing on the right and high up the pitch), pull their players out of position and then play the ball in through the centre. Early on we were chucking in crosses to no one in particular and wasting possession in good positions.

Yes when your camped in the other teams half.

Eriksens' are mostly central

Sissoko's and Ndombele's are mostly central, slightly further back and wider. Sissoko was pushing forward in tandem with Walker-Peters.

Lamela's are more grouped to the left, Moura to the right.

Even though he wasn't directly involved in any of the goals today, Eriksen was the catalyst. Just sign the contract you fudging clam.

Yes when your camped in the other teams half.

Eriksens' are mostly central

Sissoko's and Ndombele's are mostly central, slightly further back and wider. Sissoko was pushing forward in tandem with Walker-Peters.

Lamela's are more grouped to the left, Moura to the right.

Sissoko was playing predominantly in a wide right position. Eriksen and Ndombele centrally.

I just read through this thread for the first time.
So much deja vu, felt like many threads from last season.
Feel like some of you should have learned by now!

(Though I was super-tense all the way up to Tanguy's goal, then I acknowledged the regular pattern was applying again)

We then changed to Sissoko and Ndombele as a double pivot, Lucas on the right, Eriksen-sen-sen middle and Lamela left and scored three goals.

Said it all game big if that’s what people call a diamond then I need to take the ring back off the missus

A diamond has 4 points to it.. ours was a triangle at best

We had so many times winks slightly behind but very expose to sissoko and NDomvele

And Lamela, Kane and moura basically in a line in front so close they were touching hands....

It changed when Lamela got shifted left and stuck there.

It changed again when we went 2 in the middle and I have to say I thought Winks had comfortably been out best midfielder ..

We have to play 4-2-3-1

It works and it suits us

@fernadez

This is Sissoko's heatmap for the 90 minutes but it would be interesting to see this broken down by 30 minute chunks

Sissoko-heat.png

This is Ndombele's for the 90

Ndombele-heat.png

and Eriksens

Eriksen-heat.png

That is a different point to what I am making. I agree that we were flat in the first half.
I agree- but the reason we were flat in the first half was the lack of movement from our strikers who didn’t give the midfield anything to pass to.

I agree- but the reason we were flat in the first half was the lack of movement from our strikers who didn’t give the midfield anything to pass to.

We lacked guile until Eriksen came on. Too many hopeful balls from wide into a packed defence. Our best chances throughout the game came from central positions.

Back