• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official OMT ****Tottenham Hotspur vs West Bromwich Albion****

Saw the hole game. On balance a draw is fair, and there are plenty of positives to take from it as well as clear areas of work.

Some of the responses in here are a bit hormonal to say the least - what exactly did people expect? Perfoection straight away?

The start of the game was fine, as was last week's performance.
But those subs and that high backline...

I hear people saying he can't take Defoe off because of the crowd. Frankly, fudge the crowd, if you want to bring on Adebayor then take off Defoe. Keep the shape ffs!! Once we went 2 up top we lost midfield. I was hoping he'd take off Defoe and bring on Sigurdsson to balance it up but he took off Sandro! Frankly that was Ramos-esque - massive massive gamble. Had we not scored from that corner I think West Brom would've scored. Jenas was brought on which was definitely the right sub to tighten it up but its the changes that have me massively worried.

I'm happy enough with that. Bale, Rafa, Walker and Vertonghen all had good games.
We are never gonna control the game with a midfield 2 of Livermore and Jenas though.
This is the way its gonna be without Modric or a replacement.

So what was AVBs options if not to play Defoe up front? Adebayor? Do any of you know how fit Adebayor is considering he's had sod all football lately? Or should we of gone with Kane? Enlighten me please....

I would have started Adebayor, we needed him. If he's absolutely not fit enough, then he should have started Bale and Defoe together up front with Townsend on the wing.

Or more importantly, he shouldn't accept that Adebayor, Defoe and Kane is anywhere near good enough. He has said that he's not in the market for another striker and that three are fine. Perhaps, but not those three. In a 4-3-3 formation then Defoe is ONLY an option to play as a wide forward because otherwise teams will continue to force our play out wide knowing that we can't score a goal from a cross we put into the box. So as it is, we only have Adebayor, who is unfit, and Kane, who is brick, to play in that role in the middle.

Put simply, if AVB and Levy don't identify that we need another striker and sign a good one, then we can forget about challenging for a top 4 spot this season.

AVB isn't obligated to start anyone he doesn't want starting. He made a decision to start VDV when he really should have stuck with Sigurddson and it has nothing to do with what players have been left over from the previous manager. VDV had a good first half tbf but it's baffling that AVB decides to drop Sigurddson after 1 game.

AVB's substitutions so far have been atrocious. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine game where he took off Sigurddson for VDV was garbage, today he takes off VDV for Ade and goes 4-4-2 which is another garbage decision, jeans coming on is a waste substitution. I'm very annoyed at the fact that we haven't brought in the neccesary players after 2 games but we need to sort ourselves out asap.

Let's judge his subs when he has completed his transfer business and has had a few games with the players he wants. I agree today they were bad, at Saudi Sportswashing Machine I don't think they were bad at all, Rafa for Sig allows us to keep shape. But today they were bad. But he is hamstrung by the fact that this isn't totally his squad and he hasn't completed his business yet.

Our squad? Lacking a striker fit for the system and a possession player I think its doing West Brom a dis-servicve to be honest.

they are a decent team, dispatched Liverpool comfortably last season and have some good players.

Well judging by those comments, you are going to be very happy this season, as it's pretty clear that you are very easily pleased. Good luck with that!

Oh well, 36 game season like last year. Credit to WBA, they went for us at the end. Lukaku was a beast. We really could have done with him. Can't believe Chelsea would rather loan him out.

I would have started Adebayor, we needed him. If he's absolutely not fit enough, then he should have started Bale and Defoe together up front with Townsend on the wing.

Or more importantly, he shouldn't accept that Adebayor, Defoe and Kane is anywhere near good enough. He has said that he's not in the market for another striker and that three are fine. Perhaps, but not those three. In a 4-3-3 formation then Defoe is ONLY an option to play as a wide forward because otherwise teams will continue to force our play out wide knowing that we can't score a goal from a cross we put into the box. So as it is, we only have Adebayor, who is unfit, and Kane, who is brick, to play in that role in the middle.

Put simply, if AVB and Levy don't identify that we need another striker and sign a good one, then we can forget about challenging for a top 4 spot this season.

I'm 100% certain we will have a more suited striker than Defoe brought in by Friday. I don't doubt that for a second.

It's far from something not being perfect though isn't it. As I've said even if we'd got lucky and won I still wouldn't feel particulary good about it, as the luck only goes on so long.

Essentially we have an almost 30 year old who has never been suited to the role which he was playing today for 60 minutes and the most of the last game. We have had a serious amount of time to address this issue. Ade could have been brought in and actually had a pre season and that might have helped. But even then, we'd still only be one injury away from having to witness the limp flaccid attempts at playing football which is what happens when you've got Defoe up top alone. I'm not hating on Defoe, think he is a good player in the right system for sure but it's sure as fudge not our system.

Generally it doesn't take much for some to go off on a rant.

I agree that this match was far from perfection, but it's not as bad as you'd think it was by reading this thread. Next match might come too soon, but we will see big improvements once we start with Ade and get another midfielder in. Too bad the window closes later than the deadline to register players for next weekend.

I dont think we should get carried away with negative reactions. In both the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game and this game there have been plenty of positives to take away. We are a team in transition at the moment, there will be more people to come into the squad (hopefully) this week and i'm sure we will get positive results in the next couple of games. 3 points would have been nice, we have 1 today. Its only the 2nd game of the season. There is a long way to go and the basis is there for a good year. I think we at least need to wait until after 10 games or so to have any idea of where we are going to be aiming this year. Its a bit premature to be chucking your toys out of the pram in my opinion.

Oh and just to add West Brom aren't some kind of mug team that we are just going to roll over. Go into the game expecting the win yes but it shouldn't be a suprise to come out with the draw.

Let's judge his subs when he has completed his transfer business and has had a few games with the players he wants. I agree today they were bad, at Saudi Sportswashing Machine I don't think they were bad at all, Rafa for Sig allows us to keep shape. But today they were bad. But he is hamstrung by the fact that this isn't totally his squad and he hasn't completed his business yet.

Absolutely. It will take more than just this window before he has a squad in his own image. we are miles away at the moment. On the bench there were absolutely no suitable replacements apart from Sigurdsson, and unfortunately he plays in the same position as one of our best players who happens to also be one of the few who fits the new formation too.

I dont care about up front so much at the moment: we have to get more wing options, its crucial. We must have someone who can cut in and score, someone he is a constant, genuine goal threat to challenge/replace Lennon. Floaty balls to the back post arent enough in this formation.

The start of the game was fine, as was last week's performance.
But those subs and that high backline...

I hear people saying he can't take Defoe off because of the crowd. Frankly, fudge the crowd, if you want to bring on Adebayor then take off Defoe. Keep the shape ffs!! Once we went 2 up top we lost midfield. I was hoping he'd take off Defoe and bring on Sigurdsson to balance it up but he took off Sandro! Frankly that was Ramos-esque - massive massive gamble. Had we not scored from that corner I think West Brom would've scored. Jenas was brought on which was definitely the right sub to tighten it up but its the changes that have me massively worried.

I remember when we were at Pompey, and Ramos took Bent off and brought on Pav...or vice versa. Our fans started chanting 'you don't know what you're doing'. I think if that happened today, it wouldn't have been good for the atmosphere. And if it didn't work, all the match reports would have painted him as Ramos mark II and it would have not been good for us. I completely agree that we lost the midfield because of it, but I think considering his options, he had to channel his 'inner Harry' and have a go at them with 2 strikers. Take the gamble, maybe nick a goal and tighten up afterwards. It almost worked.

Well judging by those comments, you are going to be very happy this season, as it's pretty clear that you are very easily pleased. Good luck with that!

Not at all. I would suggest Im simply looking at the situation with the appropriate perspective and not that of a child stamping his feet "Waaah! I want it now!!!"

I dont like the draw. I dont like collapsing in the second half. I dont like the subs if Im honest. I loved the early team shape. I loved the possession. I loved that we won it back quickly and that WBA couldnt string 3 passes together. I appreciate that without Adebayor and Modric (or similar) we are two key players away from our best 11 last season - and two missing components from AVBs ideal (based upon how he set us up). I appreciate that to expect a new system to be fully bedded down and working at 100% is unreasonable for the second game of the season. Its a new manager, a new way of playing, a new start, some patience is required

We didn't need to make a sub against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. They were the home team and the emphasis is on them to attack and create chances when it's at 0-0. AVB took it upon himself to make the first move when Saudi Sportswashing Machine were creating fudge all. We were doing well (ok slightly dropped off a little in comparison to the first half) but it should be Pardew rolling the dice and changing thing ...and then maybe we counter that if needed. Bottom line is Sigurddson was doing well and we on the whole were doing well so no need to change anything.

I'm 100% certain we will have a more suited striker than Defoe brought in by Friday. I don't doubt that for a second.

I'm praying that you're right. But I have my doubts when our manager says thinks like:

"With Adebayor, Defoe and Kane coming through, I think I have enough options. Leandro Damiao is obviously a fantastic player but he is not our prospect at the moment because we are closed with what we are trying to do on the striker situation".

Either he's changed is mind on today's evidence, he's bluffing so that clubs who's players we are targeting lower their prices, or we're absolutely fudged.

Cheeky bid for Lukaku?....

Hilarious the people who wrote him off because of last season. I'be been saying for a couple of years that he honestly does look like the heir to Drogba. Very, very few players, let alone strikers with the power of Lukaku.

I'm praying that you're right. But I have my doubts when our manager says thinks like:

"With Adebayor, Defoe and Kane coming through, I think I have enough options. Leandro Damiao is obviously a fantastic player but he is not our prospect at the moment because we are closed with what we are trying to do on the striker situation".

Either he's changed is mind on today's evidence, he's bluffing so that clubs who's players we are targeting lower their prices, or we're absolutely fudged.

I just don't think he was telling the truth there at all. I think that's going to be a feature of his, confusing the press, talking up the players he has and as you say maybe lowering the prices of other club's players. But yeah, I don't buy for a second he would be happy with Defoe in his system. He is a manager that has clear ideas about which players suit him and which players don't - hence Dawson and Huddlestone deals. We can all see Defoe doesn't suit and therefore I think he will be gone very soon too.

Back