• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official OM(usic)T Thread ***

Haha! Whilst I bought every album and single released by Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden back in my youth I just never got into Pearl Jam for some reason 8-[

Do you mean the Scott Weiland who was trying to copy Vedder's voice?

Ah that old chestnut which ignores the fact that the Stone Temple Pilots formed in 1986, 4 years before Pearl Jam, and released a demo in January 1990 featuring several tracks that would later be included on Core, 18 months before Ten was released, but because PJ happened to get a recording contract first the STPs are seen as copy cats #-o

[video=youtube;952e35lDpgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952e35lDpgY&list=PL4B18D6B7F12F4142[/video]

Ah that old chestnut which ignores the fact that the Stone Temple Pilots formed in 1986, 4 years before Pearl Jam, and released a demo in January 1990 featuring several tracks that would later be included on Core, 18 months before Ten was released, but because PJ happened to get a recording contract first the STPs are seen as copy cats #-o

[video=youtube;952e35lDpgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952e35lDpgY&list=PL4B18D6B7F12F4142[/video]

Well yeah, couldn't get a recording contract BEFORE Pearl Jam set the path for them and the record execs told STP "be like them".

Well yeah, couldn't get a recording contract BEFORE Pearl Jam set the path for them and the record execs told STP "be like them".

Then they heard the STP' demo and realised that here was a band that was around before PJ and were already better than them :D

Last edited:
Nah, I like STP. But Plush was such a PJ rip off. Their good stuff (which includes Wicked Garden by the way) is as good as any of the other bands, especially when they just did their own thing (Big Bang Baby).

I liked both of them. Was never into the 'A is ripping off B' or 'B is better than A' stuff. If I liked their sound, I liked them.

You guys like Mindfunk? Criminally underrated.

[video=youtube_share;SSKbxdSnOzE]http://youtu.be/SSKbxdSnOzE[/video]

I always felt sorry for Weiland…he used to be an enthusiastic, happy young dude, always insecure and seeking 'love' but there goes every frontman in history possibly…he got lead down several paths by several people…record company saw something, band saw something, he was always 'looking to please' IMO and then came the darkness when he was introduced to heroin by an indie hero of his (I won't state the name but if anyone's interested, PM me - I witnessed it!)…and it just got murkier and murkier…always thought STP were unfairly slated.

Pearl Jam? Yeah, they just never ever grabbed me. Nirvana, Tad, Mudhoney, all great, some Soundgarden great too…of course AiC…but not PJ. For what it's worth, I never saw AiC as 'grunge' in that sense…just a label tagged on them geographically IMV.

For what it's worth, I never saw AiC as 'grunge' in that sense…just a label tagged on them geographically IMV.

Weren't they all though? A 3-piece who played simple power chords (Nirvana) has little in common with a prog-rock type bank like Soundgarden who were all masters in their craft, or Pearl Jam who had a big ballsy sound and played epic songs. "Grunge" was supposed to show that if we wanted, you and I could buy some guitars, make a band and be famous because it wasn't about being technically outstanding on your instrument, it was about the music, man. Yet, I bought a tab guide for Superunknown, every song had a different tuning pretty much. No way anyone could do a Soundgarden song justice either on the guitar, drums or vocally without being very ****ing good.

When looking at old Mother Love Bone stuff, it's hair metal. Andy Wood wouldn't have looked out of place at a Poison concert. And yet he's one of the key people in the birth of "grunge" that put an axe to that whole hair metal scene.

Going to see Mudhoney and PJ this Friday at the Big Day Out. I'm biased, but I think Pearl Jam are the best live band in the world (and Arcade Fire are getting close as well, good thing they are 2nd headliner!). Have Alice in Chains in a month for Soundwave along with STP (playing with the Linkin Park bloke - not sure what to make of that, but I'll check it out).

One band from that era that we havent talked about is Smashing Pumpkins. Would be interested if you ever dealt with them Steff. I really liked Siamese Dream, but Mellon Collie never grabbed me. Some good songs, Bullet with Butterfly Wings was always good, and Zero is a 90's classic hands-down, but the whole double album thing was a massive barrier to entry. Too much filler.

Good point about Andy Wood who was very much the 'glam' showman and as you say had the hair-metal look down pat. Though the same could have been said for Alice in Chains at their beginnings and Layne's first band was a glam-metal band.

Talking of Smashing Pumpkins, I saw them back in 1995 at the Reading Festival (line-up below SuperTed, you'd have loved that one) and they were amazing. Saw them a few years ago in Perth and they were godawful. I loved Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon a little less so, after that they became a bit 'meh'.

How about the Melvins? You into them?

p_1995.jpg

Attachments

• p_1995.jpg
    p_1995.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1
I was at Reading 95 too!

It was absolutely ****ing awesome!!

Highlight for me was Mudhoney-Pavement-Soundgarden-Neil Young (with Pearl Jam).

You guys are so weird, grunge is all you talk about and still I haven't seen Tad mentioned once!? What's the matter with you?

[video=youtube;tH6tRYZDRMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6tRYZDRMM[/video]

How about the Melvins?

Oh lordy lord, Melvins are great, they have such a high standard for the stuff they release, and the pace that they have been releasing albums throughout their career is oustanding. Buzzo is a riffmachine and Crover must be one the best drummers of his generation. Finally got to see them a couple of years ago at a pretty small club along with the Big Business guys (which are also pretty ****ing awesome, as is Karp, Warren's earlier band) and it was brilliant. Crover's other band Altamont isn't too shabby either.

Grammy Awards once again proving how out of touch with reality it is. Jeff Hanneman of Slayer not included in the In Memoriam section, despite Slayer winning a Grammy in the past. Former Iron Maiden drummer Clive Burr snubbed as well, but they're in good company: Paul Gray (Slipknot) and Peter Steele (Type O Negative) some of the others that have been missed in recent years, but the most notable one was when Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney walked out of the Grammys in 2003 when Layne Staley was not shown.

Here's another band to throw into the mix (and talking of amazing voices). Screaming Trees and Mark Lanegan.

Never really listened that much to Screaming Trees, they do have some good stuff, but I need to delve a little deeper in their discography.

Listened alot to 'Hawk' though which he released together with Isobel Campbell, great stuff. You Won't Let Me Down Again is such a beautiful song, went on repeat for a couple of weeks here I think.

Weren't they all though? A 3-piece who played simple power chords (Nirvana) has little in common with a prog-rock type bank like Soundgarden who were all masters in their craft, or Pearl Jam who had a big ballsy sound and played epic songs. "Grunge" was supposed to show that if we wanted, you and I could buy some guitars, make a band and be famous because it wasn't about being technically outstanding on your instrument, it was about the music, man. Yet, I bought a tab guide for Superunknown, every song had a different tuning pretty much. No way anyone could do a Soundgarden song justice either on the guitar, drums or vocally without being very ****ing good.

When looking at old Mother Love Bone stuff, it's hair metal. Andy Wood wouldn't have looked out of place at a Poison concert. And yet he's one of the key people in the birth of "grunge" that put an axe to that whole hair metal scene.

Going to see Mudhoney and PJ this Friday at the Big Day Out. I'm biased, but I think Pearl Jam are the best live band in the world (and Arcade Fire are getting close as well, good thing they are 2nd headliner!). Have Alice in Chains in a month for Soundwave along with STP (playing with the Linkin Park bloke - not sure what to make of that, but I'll check it out).

One band from that era that we havent talked about is Smashing Pumpkins. Would be interested if you ever dealt with them Steff. I really liked Siamese Dream, but Mellon Collie never grabbed me. Some good songs, Bullet with Butterfly Wings was always good, and Zero is a 90's classic hands-down, but the whole double album thing was a massive barrier to entry. Too much filler.

I remember the term 'grunge' as being different in so much as it referred to the buzz and thickness of an indie rock/punk band. Thus for me, grunge referred to a specific group of bands. Soundgarden might've got in there on the basis of their Sabbath-eque riffery, but MLB, Pearl Jam, to an extent Soundgarden and AiC were always a different proposition to me, always much more just alt-hard rock than 'grunge'…like every shoebox, I suppose it depended on who was doing the genrefication…the Pumpkins…I gave their debut a 4 out of 5, sort of kept tabs on them, liked a few of their songs but no, never did anything with them. Funny one, as Corgan and I share the same birthday and several very good friends of mine have worked extensively with them. I have always heard pretty decent things about Corgan from the people who's opinion I would respect. 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' is, I agree, an absolute corker. Although my wife ruined the chorus for me, singing 'despite all my rage' in an Elmer Fudd voice, complete with Fudd-esque impediment….AiC are still really strong right now IMO…I was never a massive PJ fan. Again, for me, Nirvana were very very special, and I still get bummed out that Cobain killed himself…****, it will be 20 years ago this April. That's just insane.

You guys are so weird, grunge is all you talk about and still I haven't seen Tad mentioned once!? What's the matter with you?

[video=youtube;tH6tRYZDRMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6tRYZDRMM[/video]

Oh lordy lord, Melvins are great, they have such a high standard for the stuff they release, and the pace that they have been releasing albums throughout their career is oustanding. Buzzo is a riffmachine and Crover must be one the best drummers of his generation. Finally got to see them a couple of years ago at a pretty small club along with the Big Business guys (which are also pretty ****ing awesome, as is Karp, Warren's earlier band) and it was brilliant. Crover's other band Altamont isn't too shabby either.

No no mate, I mentioned Tad for sure…and Melvins? Oh yes! Insane band. Genuinely. Insane. In the true 'insaney' sort of sense...

Grammy Awards once again proving how out of touch with reality it is. Jeff Hanneman of Slayer not included in the In Memoriam section, despite Slayer winning a Grammy in the past. Former Iron Maiden drummer Clive Burr snubbed as well, but they're in good company: Paul Gray (Slipknot) and Peter Steele (Type O Negative) some of the others that have been missed in recent years, but the most notable one was when Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney walked out of the Grammys in 2003 when Layne Staley was not shown.

It just goes to show what those things are all about. I actually think Hanneman's passing has been sorely under-covered…an enormous loss…@mullet, Screaming Trees and Lanegan are a great shout, I frankly just never quite liked them enough, but I DO respect them greatly.

Back