• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

He was Fulham's best player(not that it says much), just he and Magath have history.

These quotes remind me of when my kids were at school and it was always the teacher who was responsible for their poor grades.

Irrespective of history, do you really think Magath would bite off his nose to spite his face and leave out Holtby, if he was genuinely having an impact on the side?

The truth is that we gave Holtby a shot, a low risk venture seeing he was almost a free, but it did not work out.

He is an immensely enthusiastic and passionate player and looks a nice guy to boot; but he is immensely limited. He also has no role in Poch's system; not suited for the defensive 2 and ineffective in the creative 3.

Getting rid is the only viable option for all parties. Allows him to find a team at his level and frees up a squad place for us.

These quotes remind me of when my kids were at school and it was always the teacher who was responsible for their poor grades.

Irrespective of history, do you really think Magath would bite off his nose to spite his face and leave out Holtby, if he was genuinely having an impact on the side?

The truth is that we gave Holtby a shot, a low risk venture seeing he was almost a free, but it did not work out.

He is an immensely enthusiastic and passionate player and looks a nice guy to boot; but he is immensely limited. He also has no role in Poch's system; not suited for the defensive 2 and ineffective in the creative 3.

Getting rid is the only viable option for all parties. Allows him to find a team at his level and frees up a squad place for us

agreed.

We were at The Hawthorns when he made his debut. Thought we had signed a real gem. Didnt quite push on. Nice bloke with a cracking enthusiasm for the game.
Bit disappointed to see him leave, but at the end of the day I dont think he was ever going to be a regualar 1st X1 starter.
Good luck for the future Lewis

So one game is "many games" now is it?

Why not back up your bull**** claim with some stats? Because you can't.

He played a part in all of Fulham's league games under Magath, apart from the final game of the season (and against us obviously).

So one game is "many games" now is it?

Why not back up your bull**** claim with some stats? Because you can't.

FGS, chill out!!

I have made it very clear that I like Holtby for his passion and enthusiasm; I am not trying to dish the guy and would have loved for his to be a success.

In relation to his stay at Fulham: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9306242/premier-league-felix-magath-says-lewis-holtby-lacks-fighting-spirit

Holtby has scored just one goal in 13 appearances for the Cottagers and Magath has substituted him in his last two games, after 34 minutes at Stoke and at half-time against Hull, the game which saw them consigned to the Sky Bet Championship.

"Lewis is a very skilful and a nice player but he is not a fighter - I think it was not the right move for him," Magath said of the player signed by previous Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen in January.

Getting subbed before half time is being dropped in my books... if it is not in yours, then we can agree to disagree

Sorry I might have overreacted but I have seen this trotted out time and again "Holtby couldn't get in Fulhams team" but in reality he started 11 and was subbed on in 2 of the 15 (I think) fixtures Fulham played after we loaned him. One of the ones he missed was against us...

Sorry I might have overreacted but I have seen this trotted out time and again "Holtby couldn't get in Fulhams team" but in reality he started 11 and was subbed on in 2 of the 15 (I think) fixtures Fulham played after we loaned him. One of the ones he missed was against us...

I remember seeing him play Manure and he was the best player of the pitch; sort of like his first game for us at Villa.

But then he really tailed off - this in a team which was really poor and therefore in which he should have shone.

That's why I have high hopes in Pritchard - the kid has stood out in every loan he has been. THAT is the type of performance that makes you think he will eventually be a success with us.

Doesn't make much sense to me, he'd need replacing in my mind if sold.

Not sure why. Look at the number of options which we have:

2 CM spots: Capoue, Sadnro, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, [Mason]. Assume the new frenchie replaces Sandro then thats 5 plus a kid for 2 spots
3 front spot behind the CF: Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, Townsend, Lennon, perhaps Ceballas. Again, 5 plus a youngster

I cant see why Holtby is needed or why he'd need to be replaced

Yeah, I don't think Holtby would need replacing.

Deep midfielders (if Sandro is replaced by Stambouli): Capoue/Stambouli/Veljikovic-----Bentaleb/Dembele/Mason. In an emergency, Paulinho can play back there.

Attacking mids: Lamela/Townsend----Eriksen/Paulinho---Chadli/Lennon. We could also play Kane and Dembele in these positions.

Yeah, I don't think Holtby would need replacing.

Deep midfielders (if Sandro is replaced by Stambouli): Capoue/Stambouli/Veljikovic-----Bentaleb/Dembele/Mason. In an emergency, Paulinho can play back there.

Attacking mids: Lamela/Townsend----Eriksen/Paulinho---Chadli/Lennon. We could also play Kane and Dembele in these positions.

Spot on!

Probably the more important fact is that he didn't manage to do anything extraordinary in those appearances. He's decent but something seems to prevent him from pushing on and becoming better.

Probably the more important fact is that he didn't manage to do anything extraordinary in those appearances. He's decent but something seems to prevent him from pushing on and becoming better.

I seem to recall him laying on a goal that they scored at Aston Villa. I might be wrong though. I'd love him to be able to make a contribution to Spurs.

I seem to recall him laying on a goal that they scored at Aston Villa. I might be wrong though. I'd love him to be able to make a contribution to Spurs.

Don't blame you - most fans have those feelings; seeing a one-off characteristic in a favourite player and hoping against hope that he can replicate it consistently.

That's what impresses me about Poch. He seems to have a surgically clinically eye for a player and ruthlessly makes a decision - with no recriminations or malice.

I am sure Daws wanted to stay (his interviews belies that and the on-off nature of the transfer backs that up) but Poch obviously made it clear that he was not part of his system.

We were at The Hawthorns when he made his debut. Thought we had signed a real gem. Didnt quite push on. Nice bloke with a cracking enthusiasm for the game.
Bit disappointed to see him leave, but at the end of the day I dont think he was ever going to be a regualar 1st X1 starter.
Good luck for the future Lewis

Wasn't his debut Norwich away? He came on as sub and changed the game with some lovely pass and move and also energy. I thought we'd bought a real gem then.

Wasn't his debut Norwich away? He came on as sub and changed the game with some lovely pass and move and also energy. I thought we'd bought a real gem then.

Yes. I stand corrected, thought the match at Norwich was the Weds after not before, should have remembered really, that goal at Norwich by Bale was the start of his amazing goal run

Back