• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Holtby was consistently one of the best creators for me, when Defoe was in the team, they had a really good understanding. He needs a striker that is always moving in front of him though. Soldado was far too static when he was playing with him. Its a shame he didn't get a go playing off Ade, I think that could have been a really promising combination with Eriksen and him floating off the big man.

That COC match at Villa they were superb together

His natural position right now is like that of VdV, in the hole. Or as one of the two runners in a midfield 3 (4-3-3, one anchor) Could also see him play in a wide position, particularly if cutting inside.

In time he might develop to fit a deeper role. So far for us he hasn't seemed to get his positioning right for that role.

Agreed. At least if he wants to play deeper he needs to be more disciplined.

If he wants to be a "number 10" he'll mainly have to get much more productive - goals and assists.

Pretty much agree with all of this... Think he'd fit in well along side Eriksen and Bentaleb in a midfield 3. Honestly if FDB comes, we have an excellent amount of young options that all offer a little something different in midfield.

if it's FDB, I could see him being used like this:

Sigg - Soldado - Lamela
Eriksen - Holtby
Bentaleb
New LB - Verts - Kabs - Walker
Lloris​

Just thinking about it I really am hoping it's de Boer because I think he'd get a lot out of Holtby, Bentaleb, Carroll, Sigg, and even a guy like Livermore if he's still around.

Well that all worked out great.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9306242

Premier League: Felix Magath says Lewis Holtby lacks fighting spirit

Fulham boss Felix Magath has slammed midfielder Lewis Holtby, claiming the Tottenham loanee is one of a number of players in his squad lacking fighting spirit.

Magath and Holtby worked together in the past at Bundesliga side Schalke, with the 23-year-old being sent out on loan twice, and it is clear the pair have failed to gel again in west London.

Holtby has scored just one goal in 13 appearances for the Cottagers and Magath has substituted him in his last two games, after 34 minutes at Stoke and at half-time against Hull, the game which saw them consigned to the Sky Bet Championship.

"Lewis is a very skilful and a nice player but he is not a fighter - I think it was not the right move for him," Magath said of the player signed by previous Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen in January.

"I think he has put too much pressure on himself.

"Against Hull it was not him who was playing and against Stoke it was even worse.

"It was too early, he came here for a chance to go to the World Cup but after a few weeks it was clear it wasn't working. It was not the right decision for him."

Magath pledged his future to the club last week and he is now questioning whether he was too soft on his players - he came to England with a reputation as a hard task master.

He added: "The players told me they cannot fight, I don't know why. They cannot fight, they haven't learned it.

"Have I been too soft on them? Maybe. At the end of the day you can't find one reason and blame that for relegation.

"I didn't take on something that could be cured easily, we were bottom of the table and things were very messed up."

He needs our supply teacher to drill some: Passion, Fight, and Saluting into him, that'll get him right.

"Against Hull it was not him who was playing and against Stoke it was even worse.

Then show your a manager and get the best out of him, if you start him you only have yourself to blame. You have to wonder what he thought of those he didn't start!

I wouldn't read too much into this. Holtby and Magath have previous from Schalke.

Magath is just trying to deflect some blame of relegation away from himself. Holtby has been their best player this season.

Anyone have any views of where Lewis fits in next season

I don't particularly thing as a player he is anything special, but because of his energy I think he could impress Poch and be an important member of the squad, especially away from home.

Can see him moving above Dembele (in fact I can see Dembele getting sold this summer if there is interest)

I think he could quite easily be in Pochs plans. Like you say, he has alot of energy but he can also play a bit

It really baffled me last season why we never tried a 3 man midfield of Eriksen, Holtby and Sandro/Capoue, especially against the weaker sides who sit back and park the bus. In those types of games, the need for players who can play a quick, accurate ball to a man who has somehow managed to find a bit of space is more important than ever, yet instead we persisted with Dembele and Paulinho who can't pass for ****.

He's hardly Pirlo, but I think he has got a far better level of technical skill than most of our midfielders, something that was seriously lacking in our team. He was absolute class in this game:

[video=youtube;wG5hh8390W0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG5hh8390W0[/video]

I think that his energy is not an asset at the moment. He tends to be a little unfocussed and chase the game a little. I think that the challenge for Poch is to get Holtby to channel his energy and become more a team player. If he can do that, we will have a real player on our hands.

I can't think of anyone who I expect to thrive more under Poch than Holtby (even Lamela).

He absolutely thrived under Tuchel's system, which is virtually identical to Poch's.

I think that his energy is not an asset at the moment. He tends to be a little unfocussed and chase the game a little. I think that the challenge for Poch is to get Holtby to channel his energy and become more a team player. If he can do that, we will have a real player on our hands.

i thought he was growing and learning under AVB; but under Sherwood's do-as-you-would-as-a-pro-footballer system he could not find a rhythm to sync to. Not surprising because German football is based first on a method that the team plays, and the player adapts to the system. I would think that Poch would try to turn Holtby into a Lallana with all his energy.

The players i worry about is Siggurdson and Paulinho, who seems best at playing "mop up" - not sure if there is such a role in a system as tight as Poch's where everyone has distinct roles and responsibilities.

Id say Gylfi is more likely to develop to the Lallana role and Holtby more the steven davis role!

Im so unsure about Paulinho at the moment but there is a player in there somewhere im convinced

This should be our midfield / forwards

Sandro Holtby

Lamela Sig Eriksen

Ade​

I am convinced that is and will be our strongest team.

This should be our midfield / forwards

Sandro Holtby

Lamela Sig Eriksen

Ade​

I am convinced that is and will be our strongest team.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PLAY SIG IN THE STARTING 11!!! you would even have him there over the guys we have on the bench thats let alone anyone else who we bring in??
he would be the first for me to be sold, still a good player but not for us anymore...

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PLAY SIG IN THE STARTING 11!!! you would even have him there over the guys we have on the bench thats let alone anyone else who we bring in??
he would be the first for me to be sold, still a good player but not for us anymore...

To be fair I think Sig would be a very good no 10 but rarely gets played there, he would pick up a lot of goals with his long range shots...

Vastly underrated by our fans. Not given a proper chance in his strongest position and imo one of our better players.

Back