• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

its hard to integrate with a tight fast passing side. give the boy time. even the senior folks - lennon, bale, defoe all took some time to settle into AVB's setup. not to mention the others who where sidelined...

its hard to integrate with a tight fast passing side. give the boy time. even the senior folks - lennon, bale, defoe all took some time to settle into AVB's setup. not to mention the others who where sidelined...

agree

I honestly thing thr kid struggles with some of the brick technique that surrounds him. Most of our players have no awareness of space and movement and are unable to complete simple passes at times. I think he is on the next book compared to some of the other players to be honest.

I honestly thing thr kid struggles with some of the brick technique that surrounds him. Most of our players have no awareness of space and movement and are unable to complete simple passes at times. I think he is on the next book compared to some of the other players to be honest.

I agree. Other than possibly Carroll I don't think any of our players are on his level when it comes to quick pass and move. Schalke trained him well.

Hope he's given more playing time as a central (deep) midfielder for us before the season is over.

He had a 93% pass completion rate tonight, which is pretty impressive. And I thought he showed flashes of creativity too, with his through-ball for Ade's tame shot and his chipped ball over the top to Ade when he was just offside.

I don't think he has standout attacking ability, at least in terms of shooting and dribbling (in terms of creative passing the jury is still out IMO). But what I think he does have is good movement and very quick, accurate passing - qualities that don't necessarily wow you but that are perhaps important and impressive. He always seems to know where his teammates are without looking, which allows him to make those first-time forward passes and layoffs. I think he ties the team together nicely in that central role, and could be effective if the three most attacking players can offer more in terms of real offensive threats.

I havent seen any of that in his time here SO FAR. The thing is what ive noticed which is very annoying but could be instructions and could be his enthusiasm is that he isnt that disciplined i.e. such a VDV issue. He dropped deep too many times which meant we had not much up front. He did it against Everton and did it yesterday. If he is as creative as you guys say then he has got to stay up front.

Its my bug bear with the team where everyone seems to be everywhere which means we get knackered early on.

I havent seen any of that in his time here SO FAR. The thing is what ive noticed which is very annoying but could be instructions and could be his enthusiasm is that he isnt that disciplined i.e. such a VDV issue. He dropped deep too many times which meant we had not much up front. He did it against Everton and did it yesterday. If he is as creative as you guys say then he has got to stay up front.

Its my bug bear with the team where everyone seems to be everywhere which means we get knackered early on.

What position do you think he was playing yesterday?

In addition to rusx's question, did you think Holtby got knackered early on yesterday? He was one of the players that didn't stop working and running.

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...y_high_at_spurs_says_buoyant_holtby_1_2162500

“We’re buzzing, it’s a fantastic result,” he said. “It shows the team spirit of the lads to come from 1-0 down. To win 3-1 is a massive boost and now I think it puts some pressure on Chelsea as well.

“We had some tough weeks and poor results, especially going out [of the Europa League] against Basel. It’s fantastic to come back and win this game 3-1 against Emirates Marketing Project, the reigning champions at the moment and FA Cup finalists.

“That’s a great achievement for us as a whole team, to believe in what we can do - especially with the setbacks we had.

“I think it was a glorious day for the fans as well. It was a beautiful game of football, Sunday at 1.30pm with the sun coming out in London - you’ve hardly seen that this year so it’s fantastic.

“We’ve got players like Gareth and Jermain back – who both scored - so the belief in the team is high. After a win like that the confidence is just increasing and, with Aaron Lennon hopefully coming back this week, we’re going to be even stronger.

“There’s five cup finals for us now and we just have to try to win every game. We don’t have any games on Thursdays any more so the whole concentration is just on the Premier League and I think that suits us.

“We just have to keep the momentum up. We’ve won a tough game against Emirates Marketing Project but next Saturday is going to be a very hard game away to Wigan, and no game is easy now.

“Southampton play good football so that’s really going to be hard and especially then Chelsea away, that’s going to be the toughest game I guess.”

didn't watch the game but seems like he played well

[video=dailymotion;x10necq]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10necq_hol-dui-u21-holtby_sport[/video]

boy's got talent for sure
edit: in before someone says he learnt that from bale

Last edited:

didn't watch the game but seems like he played well

[video=dailymotion;x10necq]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10necq_hol-dui-u21-holtby_sport[/video]

boy's got talent for sure
edit: in before someone says he learnt that from bale

You can't become captain of that U21 team without having an insane amount of potential. Sandro was U21 captain in Brazil IIRC.

I have seen nothing in Holtby that suggests he is going to be a first choice player in the future, where does he play for a start, he offers energy off the bench but I can't see anything else, if he is not in a starting position early next season I can see him becoming a bit player very quickly.

I have seen nothing in Holtby that suggests he is going to be a first choice player in the future, where does he play for a start, he offers energy off the bench but I can't see anything else, if he is not in a starting position early next season I can see him becoming a bit player very quickly.

He's less than two years older than Carroll, he's younger than Livermore and he's only had half a season in the PL.

He was a fixture for a Schalke team that did well in the CL and at times at least played some great football. He can play multiple positions, far from uncommon in a young player.

Give him some time. A lot of players have looked average at first in the PL only to improve massively as they adjusted, central midfield is probably one of the hardest positions to get used to. Holtby has been inconsistent (as can be expected), but he's also shown some real ability on the ball, great work rate and enthusiasm.

He's less than two years older than Carroll, he's younger than Livermore and he's only had half a season in the PL.

He was a fixture for a Schalke team that did well in the CL and at times at least played some great football. He can play multiple positions, far from uncommon in a young player.

Give him some time. A lot of players have looked average at first in the PL only to improve massively as they adjusted, central midfield is probably one of the hardest positions to get used to. Holtby has been inconsistent (as can be expected), but he's also shown some real ability on the ball, great work rate and enthusiasm.

I agree and said pretty much the same thing in the U21 thread last night;

Tonight, Holtby has really shown the intelligent and crisp passing/distribution that we all heard about when we signed him. Is this because he currently feels more settled in the German team and the role he is playing? I hope that the more he settles at Spurs the more of this we will see of him.

Always thought this was the problem when Rebrov started playing with us. Watching from the Gods you could see what he was trying to do but the players round him were either static, too slow or anticipating something less imaginative.

I'm excited about this kid and feel if he's given a run of games he will produce. To me it looks like he can play the deeper role as well as the more advanced role.

Completely agree with this. Theres a couple of great gifs of bale screamers where defoe, ade, siggy etc are all standing still and holtby is making intelligent runs. The other players need to wake up and holtby will hopefully be more settled with ! full pre season with is.

Holtby was good last night in behind the striker, but what he did was get the ball off the centre backs and pop off a pass, one touch triangles and 1-2s, then make a stupidly long run from defence, past the midfield, past the defence, past the striker and try to get on the end of a pass.

It was a bit odd, reminded me a lot of Stevie G or Beckham in his England pomp, like a one-man heroic focus for the team... he would go and get it, then tell others where to go, then try to finish the move as well!

He did well all night, nearly always one-touch which can be great, but is also risky and can lose posssession with ambitious passes which only have a slim chance of coming off.

He captained the Germans, drove them forward, won set pieces, won a penalty, scored a good goal... if that had been Isco or whoever else we would be clamouring to sign the lad, so let's celebrate a bit ffs!

I thought the board would be red hot with discussion about this performance, but there are about 10 posts!

Holtby was good last night in behind the striker, but what he did was get the ball off the centre backs and pop off a pass, one touch triangles and 1-2s, then make a stupidly long run from defence, past the midfield, past the defence, past the striker and try to get on the end of a pass.

It was a bit odd, reminded me a lot of Stevie G or Beckham in his England pomp, like a one-man heroic focus for the team... he would go and get it, then tell others where to go, then try to finish the move as well!

He did well all night, nearly always one-touch which can be great, but is also risky and can lose posssession with ambitious passes which only have a slim chance of coming off.

He captained the Germans, drove them forward, won set pieces, won a penalty, scored a good goal... if that had been Isco or whoever else we would be clamouring to sign the lad, so let's celebrate a bit ffs!

I thought the board would be red hot with discussion about this performance, but there are about 10 posts!

26565179.jpg

Cheers for posting that. I'm guessing a lot of people, like myself, didn't watch the game yesterday and so there hasn't been much discussion.

Didnt even know it was on! But agree with what Bullet says about Holtby.

When he first came here his first couple of games I could see he was a gifted player. Where some of our players would take 2 touches to control the ball and lay it off he would do it in one which is a sigb of a good technical and skilfull player. I just think he stalled a bit after his first month but I think he will start next season and be an awesome player.

Back