• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby to join in January - pg 25

26 - Lewis Holtby had more touches (26) in 19 minutes vs Norwich than Jermain Defoe (25) did in the whole match. Involved.

And a couple more stats just to emphasise what we all saw anyway =D>

Twitter / SpursStatMan: Lewis Holtby made 26 touches in 19 minutes vs Norwich, Dempsey only made 36 in 71 minutes.

Twitter / WindyCOYS: Dempsey made 24 passes (83% completion) in 71 minutes. Holtby made 24 (@ 79%) in 22. Incredible difference.

some care in interpreting those stats required!

that said, do you think dembele+holt could be as formidable as sandro+dembele ?

Looks like he is decent in the tackle as well, very disgusted when the ref gave him a yellow for dissent when it was not a foul to begin with.

some care in interpreting those stats required!

that said, do you think dembele+holt could be as formidable as sandro+dembele ?

Holtby does appear to be a tenacious tackler so perhaps could strike up a formidable partnership with Dembele but I'd prefer to see him play further forward in place of Dempsey for now, as we desperately need someone to link up play whilst Parker hopefully will go back to just shielding the defence and leave the surging runs to Dembele.

-------------Lloris------------
Walker--Daws----Vert-----BAE
-------Parker----Dembele-----
Lennon------Holtby-------Bale
-------Defoe/Dempsey/New---

Not sure why everyone wants to drop Dempsey, he's the only striker scoring at the moment.

Drop Defoe, play Dempsey up front with Holtby behind. I think Holtby's apparent intelligence in the pass would suit Dempsey well.

26 - Lewis Holtby had more touches (26) in 19 minutes vs Norwich than Jermain Defoe (25) did in the whole match. Involved.

Assuming that those stats are somewhat accurate.

I don't find the number of passes or touches compared to our other players that surprising or very telling. The game dynamics were changing when he came on as Norwich were tiring and starting to give us space to play.

What looks exceptional to me though is the correlation between number of touches and the number of passes along with his pass completion. If the numbers are accurate that must mean that he made 22 first touch passes and only used two touches on two occasions (or 3 once). Combine that with him playing as an attacking midfielder and his fairly high pass completion and that looks really impressive. Even if the numbers are slightly off the point remains. We should have course all see that during the game too, but the numbers look super impressive.

The counter attack and goal came as a direct result of one of those one touch passes as the flicked the ball on to Defoe. One of those situations where taking two touches might not have been good enough and taking 3 touches almost certainly would have seen the move break down.

Edit: Assuming that touches means touches, not involvements or something like that.

Last edited:

Assuming that those stats are somewhat accurate.

I don't find the number of passes or touches compared to our other players that surprising or very telling. The game dynamics were changing when he came on as Norwich were tiring and starting to give us space to play.

What looks exceptional to me though is the correlation between number of touches and the number of passes along with his pass completion. If the numbers are accurate that must mean that he made 22 first touch passes and only used two touches on two occasions (or 3 once). Combine that with him playing as an attacking midfielder and his fairly high pass completion and that looks really impressive. Even if the numbers are slightly off the point remains. We should have course all see that during the game too, but the numbers look super impressive.

The counter attack and goal came as a direct result of one of those one touch passes as the flicked the ball on to Defoe. One of those situations where taking two touches might not have been good enough and taking 3 touches almost certainly would have seen the move break down.

A good point you make there, as we have lacked that incisiveness which one touch football can provide ever since Modric and VdV left. So when teams sit deep and defend in numbers to nullify the threat that our pacey wingers provide then Holtby' ability to play the ball accurately first time could prove to be decisive.

Drop Defoe, play Dempsey up front with Holtby behind. I think Holtby's apparent intelligence in the pass would suit Dempsey well.
The issue with Dempsey playing up front is not one of supply, he is just not good enough at making the correct runs to make use of said supply.

He is naturally a deep-lying striker/attacking midfielder, his instinctual off-the-ball movements are different to those required of a proper centre-forward.

The issue with Dempsey playing up front is not one of supply, he is just not good enough at making the correct runs to make use of said supply.

He is naturally a deep-lying striker/attacking midfielder, his instinctual off-the-ball movements are different to those required of a proper centre-forward.

You might be right, but I haven't seen enough from Defoe recently to suggest he's a better option.

Holbt should make a big difference to our home games....bit of ingenuity

Will be a great signing for us, can see Chel$ea and Man utd come running in 2-3 years time

Hotlby......whaaaooo
Hotlby......whaaaooo

He came from Ger - manyy
To play for AVB

or, my fav

Leeewis Holtby......whaooo
Leeewis Holtby......whaooo

He came from Germanyy
He cost Levy moneyy

539240_10151295152233505_1801602228_n.jpg

Didn't see the game so no idea how he played but he is fit as fudge in a Spurs kit.

to Dembele

"Take more men on"

to Parker

"we are playing in white"

Back