• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

Re: Brad Friedel

I like Brad and thought he had a good season last year BUT he was rooted to his line twice last night and cost us one and could have cost us two goals. I am convinced Lloris would have come for their goal. Difficult for the defence to play with one keeper who comes for everything and another who comes for nothing. Perhaps Blackburn in January would be a good move.

That's fair, I'm pretty convinced he wouldn't have gotten there.

Brad indeed is a top guy, and love him as a person (from my admittedly limited public knowledge)

However he is nowhere near the level of keeper that Lloris. Hugo is world class, Brad isn't.

It still baffles me how AVB preferred Brad for so long, and it might end up costing us CL at the end of the day, but what's done is done. At least we'll have Hugo back to face what is likely to be a testing aerial time up at Goodison.

Brad is a solid, consistent performer, and pana's goal was all about a great pass and header, neither of which another keeper would have got to, I think.

But, for me, as we bought Lloris, who's an established player overseas and captain for the frogs, he has to play as he is our future. Imagine - we now have a keeper and back up better than mayoo's, scum, in fact probably better than anyone aside from cheatski and Emirates Marketing Project's !

Brad is a solid, consistent performer, and pana's goal was all about a great pass and header, neither of which another keeper would have got to, I think.

But, for me, as we bought Lloris, who's an established player overseas and captain for the frogs, he has to play as he is our future. Imagine - we now have a keeper and back up better than mayoo's, scum, in fact probably better than anyone aside from cheatski and Emirates Marketing Project's !
I think Lloris would have been in a lot more advanced position for Pana's goal, he probably would have gone for the cross But I'm certainly not blaming Brad for the goal.

I disagree though about Brad being better than Chesney if that's what you're saying, I definitely rate Arsenal's keeper as better than Brad. I also rate quite a few other keepers in the Prem better than Brad, he's simply too slow and cumbersome to be seen as one of the top keepers for me.

I don't actually think Brad's that solid, except in his build of course. His sticking to the line leads to defensive fragility for me, and makes me nervous. He hasn't managed one clean sheet all season, not exactly a definition of solidity. I always think we're going to concede when he's in goal.

Last edited:

If Brad is happy to stay on as number two then I think we should keep him. He is head and shoulders above Carlo and Gomes right now and if Lloris got injured then he would be a lot better bet.

Brad indeed is a top guy, and love him as a person (from my admittedly limited public knowledge)

However he is nowhere near the level of keeper that Lloris. Hugo is world class, Brad isn't.

It still baffles me how AVB preferred Brad for so long, and it might end up costing us CL at the end of the day, but what's done is done. At least we'll have Hugo back to face what is likely to be a testing aerial time up at Goodison.

Lloris does indeed look like a top top keeper, however so was brad in his prime and he is still very good even at 41. I think avb broke lloris in perfectly, hell even coming into the team lloris had a few wobbles, but of he'd been thrown in at the deep end with no preseason then he would have struggled massively IMHO.

It is amazing to think how Friedel managed to stay injury free and played continoulsly for all those years. It is almost impossible to follow in football today.

Lloris does indeed look like a top top keeper, however so was brad in his prime and he is still very good even at 41. I think avb broke lloris in perfectly, hell even coming into the team lloris had a few wobbles, but of he'd been thrown in at the deep end with no preseason then he would have struggled massively IMHO.

Hi Rab, I loved your programme BTW.

Have to disagree about Lloris though, one of the best keepers in the world and captain of France, I don't think he would have struggled at all, apart from initial bedding in that can affect any keeper

I don't think AVB handled the situation well, and when he dropped Lloris after the Villa game it was very poor management indeed.

We may well have got something out of that Chelsea game with Hugo in goal.

Brad has wobbles every game, so I see no advantage in playing him over a superior keeper.

A few observations for those saying Lloris is world class and should therefore automatically have been chosen ahead of Brad from Day One.

Yes at his best he is world class, but that is not the form he was in when he arrived. It was reported he had just completed a poor season in goal for Lyon. How far that's true I don't know, but I do know, and what AVB would have observed, is that he was far from at his best when he arrived.

In his first few games for us he made several alarming errors. There were occasions when he came for crosses but completely misjudged, where he would punch a soft shot to the feet of an opposing player when it was easier to catch, misunderstandings such as rushing out to the edge of the penalty area to clear when a defender already had it fully covered as well as other rank poor clearances.

All this when Brad was in excellent form, making great saves and staying calm.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly believe Lloris is capable of being the better keeper once he gets his eye in. Chances are all the initial shakiness was down to adjusting to a new country, a new defence plus the more rigorous demands of the Premiership.

But to insist he should been chosen ahead of Brad from the word go is just plain wrong. As Crab says, by introducing him gradually AVB has broken Lloris in perfectly.

If Brad is happy to stay on as number two then I think we should keep him. He is head and shoulders above Carlo and Gomes right now and if Lloris got injured then he would be a lot better bet.

Do you think a 41-year old can maintain good levels of fitness and match sharpness without regular game action?

He can offer so much experience and worth to a lower team by playing regurarly- much like a vintage motor needs regular 'spin'.

I much rather offload all 3 off our wage roll and bring in a young understudy

Don't get me wrong, I certainly believe Lloris is capable of being the better keeper once he gets his eye in. Chances are all the initial shakiness was down to adjusting to a new country, a new defence plus the more rigorous demands of the Premiership.

But to insist he should been chosen ahead of Brad from the word go is just plain wrong. As Crab says, by introducing him gradually AVB has broken Lloris in perfectly.

Another great thing about Brad is his ability to waste a bit of time or cool things down when we are under the cosh.

A couple of times I have seen Lloris scramble to keep a ball in play when we are leading instead of letting it go for a goal kick.

A few observations for those saying Lloris is world class and should therefore automatically have been chosen ahead of Brad from Day One.

Yes at his best he is world class, but that is not the form he was in when he arrived. It was reported he had just completed a poor season in goal for Lyon. How far that's true I don't know, but I do know, and what AVB would have observed, is that he was far from at his best when he arrived.

In his first few games for us he made several alarming errors. There were occasions when he came for crosses but completely misjudged, where he would punch a soft shot to the feet of an opposing player when it was easier to catch, misunderstandings such as rushing out to the edge of the penalty area to clear when a defender already had it fully covered as well as other rank poor clearances.

Completely disagree, he was in fantastic form for France, and has never made the consitent level of mistakes that Brad makes by staying on his line both for crosses and through balls, plus Lloris is a better shot stopper. Brad hasn't been in excellent form at all this season, he makes the defence look fragile and shaky and also very difficult for AVB to play his favoured high line properly.

Lloris should have stayed in after he kept a clean sheet v Lazio, the thing that Brad can't do any more, and to be dropped after keeping a clean sheet v Villa was scandalous.

Of course by not installing him as No. 1 straightaway, AVB put pressure on a new keeper, which to be honest Hugo has handled brilliantly. But the lack of confidence shown by Villa Boas, and the humiliation that the captain of France received in his own country for playing second fiddle to a 41 year old could have wrecked his career with us. Luckily da Boss is made of strong stuff.

Last edited:

Nah, czesny's a fluffer for me, he has his ups and downs. I find it amazing between him, vermalen and koscielny they still contrive at times to bungle it and create comedy in their own box - mind you, I thought we did that at home to liverpool when daws smacked it against gallas, then azza did it against bale ! Lucky liverpool couldn't finish any of their chances or half chances.

I think for me though, rather than just worry about Brad, I am concerned about our whole back line - still far from convincing, but we manage to get away with it recently. I still don't know what our best CB pairing is for instance, because chopping and changing, which we've had to do rather than by choice, is worrying.

Do you think a 41-year old can maintain good levels of fitness and match sharpness without regular game action?

He can offer so much experience and worth to a lower team by playing regurarly- much like a vintage motor needs regular 'spin'.

I much rather offload all 3 off our wage roll and bring in a young understudy

I don't really care what he can offer another team, I want what is best for Tottenham Hotspur this season.

I do not think that the one and a half years difference between Friedel and Cuducini is significant when it comes to match fitness. Friedel is in terrific shape and I am sure that he has just as much chance as Cuducini of staying match sharp.

If Friedel wants to stay, then I would be overjoyed because we would have a better squad with him in it. If Friedel wants to go and have one last challenge as a first choice keeper then good luck to him but I think we are a little weaker.

I should have added that I trust Parks' judgement on whether Friedel can continue as a second choice. I think that Parks has done an excellent job since he rejoined the club.

I think Cudicini has looked really poor in his last few outings.

I also believe Brad's great form over the years has been primarily down to the fact he played week in and out (over 300 consecutive games) and that will probably signifantly drop after 2-3 months warming the bench.

I think Cudicini has looked really poor in his last few outings.

I also believe Brad's great form over the years has been primarily down to the fact he played week in and out (over 300 consecutive games) and that will probably signifantly drop after 2-3 months warming the bench.

I agree that Carlo doesn't looks as good as he once did. It is speculation whether Friedel can adapt to playing less regularly which is why i suggest that Parks has a better idea than us and that we should trust his judgement.

What did i say about our back line ? Caulker is still young and learning (have to give a little benefit of the doubt), Lloris played well, really well at times. Then a mix up comes along ...

I like Lloris and think he's been good lately BUT he didn't make the save on a saveable ball for the first goal and cost us one.. I am convinced Freidel would have saved that goal.

Back