• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

Re: Brad Friedel

I didn't see anywhere confirmation (or even suggestion) he would start tonight - i.e. direct quote from AVB. Where did he say so? (apologies if I've missed it)

Personally, I think it would be pointless having a keeper who hasn't been in goals for a month come into what is a cruical game in place of Lloris who is finally picking up match sharpness and is looking good.

I suppose we'll see for sure at around 7 o'çlock tonight when the team is named.

But my money is on Friedel in goal.

I didn't see anywhere confirmation (or even suggestion) he would start tonight - i.e. direct quote from AVB. Where did he say so? (apologies if I've missed it)

Personally, I think it would be pointless having a keeper who hasn't been in goals for a month come into what is a cruical game in place of Lloris who is finally picking up consistent match sharpness and is looking good.

It was in the Daily Mail today as well that AVB is going with Friedel. Direct quotes or no direct quotes, its quite obvious Lloris isn't being selected for tonights game....

It was in the Daily Mail today as well that AVB is going with Friedel. Direct quotes or no direct quotes, its quite obvious Lloris isn't being selected for tonights game....

...from what I understand, Lloris isn't even in the squad of 18 for tonight - Carlo Cudicini will be the back-up goalkeeper.

There is no direct quote from him confirming that though

You do realise that the media don't do direct quotes for every sentence a manager says at a press conference? Reporting that AVB hasn't selected Lloris in the squad is just the same as them putting more or less the same thing in quotation marks. It's not transfer news, you don't always need quotes to say a certain player isn't playing....

You do realise that the media don't do direct quotes for every sentence a manager says at a press conference? Reporting that AVB hasn't selected Lloris in the squad is just the same as them putting more or less the same thing in quotation marks. It's not transfer news, you don't always need quotes to say a certain player isn't playing....

they also have a habit of making up whatever they like to fill column inches

believing a press article with quotes is dangerous and needs double checking, believing one without quotes is just naive

believing a press article with quotes is dangerous and needs double checking, believing one without quotes is just naive

Yes of course, hence my reference to transfers. But several media sources not just one are saying that AVB has said Friedel will start, it's hardly that newsworthy that they need to provide quotes for it - they aren't making it up for column inches, it's not like anyone is going in with the story 'Lloirs dropped for big game'. It's just a sentence in relation to team news, if that's not enough for you and think they're going to the trouble to fabricate then fair enough....

Cudicini, Friedel, Naughton, Walker, Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Livermore, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Mason, Sandro, Dembele, Carroll, Townsend, Dempsey, Defoe, Adebayor.

Chosing from this squad. Lloris isn't there. Friedel will start, the same way Lloris did when he was second choice.

Cudicini, Friedel, Naughton, Walker, Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Livermore, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Mason, Sandro, Dembele, Carroll, Townsend, Dempsey, Defoe, Adebayor.

Chosing from this squad. Lloris isn't there. Friedel will start, the same way Lloris did when he was second choice.
ArcspacE = Lloris's agent :lol:

When they do make stuff up they don't tend to go with definites though. They go with 'it is expected' or 'it has been reported' or something else like that with wiggle room.

Something as direct as 'manager Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed that Friedel will play.' will have been confirmed by AVB.

You do realise that the media don't do direct quotes for every sentence a manager says at a press conference?

Sorry, but I tend to work with factual matters and not what the media have 'assumed' or 'fabricated'

I'm sure if he said 'Brad will start tonight' - would have been the first quote in that article confirming their headline. Why would they logically omit the most important part in that piece?

Last edited:

They haven't omitted information, its team news for a Thursday night match against a Greek side. It's not a big deal. There is no headline, its just standard team news. The manager confirmed Brad wouldn't start, the media has chosen to state it as a fact rather than giving pretty much the same sentence with quotation marks. It's not the first or last time it will happen. Just don't be surprised when Lloris isn't starting, or by the looks of it even in the squad....

I'm not surprised at all, tbh - simply wanted to understand why some claimed with certaintly Brad is definitely starting based on an artcile which stated nothing of the sorts if you read in detail.

Anyhows - upwards and onwards

Last edited:

Its not just an article, its been stated in a lot of different sources....But yes, whoever is in goal (would be great if it was Lloris after all this!) lets hope does us proud. COYS

I like Brad and thought he had a good season last year BUT he was rooted to his line twice last night and cost us one and could have cost us two goals. I am convinced Lloris would have come for their goal. Difficult for the defence to play with one keeper who comes for everything and another who comes for nothing. Perhaps Blackburn in January would be a good move.

From his twitter:
@friedel_b: Just want all the spurs fans to know it was an honour to be captain today. Good win which keeps the run going. Everton Sunday, big one!!

Top man and pro

Back