• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Read some heavy criticism of Avatar (Guardian) but my daughter, who works in the post-production end of the film biz, arrived for Christmas yesterday with great praise for the technical achievements of the movie.

Once she had spelled out what impressed her, my wife and I were convinced and will continue our tradition of spending the afternoon of her birthday (Dec. 31) at a movie cinema, most often watching a sci-fi flick.

You’ll enjoy Avatar I’m sure. You’ve never seen anything like it visually (well except for the first one). Just hope there’s more emphasis on the story in the next one. Doesn’t help that I’m not a big fan of Sam Worthington, nothing against him but he’s not a great actor IMO. One thing I will say is this film packs more of an emotional punch than the last one did.

Watched Pulp Fiction earlier. Haven’t seen it all the way through for years. Vincent Vega is the worst criminal ever! Leaves his gun whilst he goes for a tinkle which doesn’t end well for him, his boss’s wife OD’s on his watch, accidentally shoots someone in the face.

Watched Pulp Fiction earlier. Haven’t seen it all the way through for years. Vincent Vega is the worst criminal ever! Leaves his gun whilst he goes for a tinkle which doesn’t end well for him, his boss’s wife OD’s on his watch, accidentally shoots someone in the face.

And his boss ain't much cop either, easily blindsided and then rogger3d by a bunch of hillbillies

Watched Glass onion and Banshees of Inisherin this weekend . Both enjoyable.

Not sure Banshees lived up to the hype personally. Although enjoyable.

I love the Evil Dead films. The original creators (Raimi, Tapert and Campbell) are all involved, which bodes well

The remake sucked ass and they were credited as producers on that. The Ash vs Evil Dead tv series was brilliant. Easily on par with the original movies.

I’ll echo the praise to Glass Onion and Banshees of Inisherin. Both quality films.

Saw A Man Called Otto tonight. Really enjoyed it. Bring tissues if you do go to watch it.

Gone abit old school (relatively) and watched Nebraska with Bruce Dern, loved it

And also watched for the first time ever, Erin Brockovich, enjoyed it too, Albert Finney is absolutely class in it

I'm a bit 'hmmm' on Glass Onion. We'd never seen Knives Out, so watched it at the weekend, and thought it was pretty good. Not as funny as I had thought it was going to be, but a good watch all the same. Then we watched Glass Onion last night and really didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Knives Out. It seemed far more contrived, although it did pick up a bit, but then ended a bit ott. I think it's a fine, easy watch, but I don't get the posters of 'best film of the year' etc.

I'm a bit 'hmmm' on Glass Onion. We'd never seen Knives Out, so watched it at the weekend, and thought it was pretty good. Not as funny as I had thought it was going to be, but a good watch all the same. Then we watched Glass Onion last night and really didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Knives Out. It seemed far more contrived, although it did pick up a bit, but then ended a bit ott. I think it's a fine, easy watch, but I don't get the posters of 'best film of the year' etc.

Did you see some trailors that gave off the impression that Knives out was a full on comedy? I did find the odd joke in there very funny but if spelt out on a forum seems uninspired ie each member of the family getting the nation of origin of Ana de Armas' character wrong but with such conviction was hilarious imo as was the lack of humanity in the various selfish motives of the characters.

I hope they do as many as possible and thoroughly enjoyed Glass Onion, it was ridiculous (moreso than Knives out) but in a way that was mocking itself openly whilst prodding at "modern" ideas like influencers, social media, phone usage etc etc I'm interested in what made you feel it was more contrived - I loved that line about speaking without thought not being synonymous with speaking the truth.

It came up in the TV thread but to me it's like an episode of midsomer murders but with a far larger budget to get A star actors and far ranging locations / situations so to be a bit more thought provoking and grander than the standard formula.

Back