• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Everything everywhere all at once. I probably shouldn't have liked it but i really did. Have no idea how it worked for me. Or probably anyone else.

Having abit of a late to the party film session recently and caught Gangs of New York the other night for the first time. Some film that, Daniel Day Lewis is a class act, was supwerb

Dude that's so late to the party the party finished.

DDL's portrayal of Bill the Butcher is insane, how he never won an Oscar for it (i know he got it for Lincoln later). One of the truly brilliant characters in modern cinema and his performance in every scene is just epic. You genuinely feel a dislike towards him.

I'm hoping you watched Scorcese's The Departed. If not, put that next on the list.

If anyone is looking for a good easy watch, saw Runaway Jury last night on Netflix. Not sure how I missed this one, seeing as it stars Dustin Hoffman, John Cusack and Gene Hackman (excellent as always).

Dude that's so late to the party the party finished.

DDL's portrayal of Bill the Butcher is insane, how he never won an Oscar for it (i know he got it for Lincoln later). One of the truly brilliant characters in modern cinema and his performance in every scene is just epic. You genuinely feel a dislike towards him.

I'm hoping you watched Scorcese's The Departed. If not, put that next on the list.

Oh I love the departed, Nicholson is amazing an sinister,

Yeah i enjoyed that as well. Triangle of Sadness is a film with similar themes that was out recently that is also worth a watch

Have to say I was a bit disappointed with The Menu. Went into it not knowing much in terms of the plot, just read the reviews which were mostly positive. Without wanting to give away any spoilers, where didn’t the guests try harder if you know what I mean? They just sat there and took it pretty much. I know it’s satire but didn’t think it was remotely realistic other than the hero worshiping of celebrities.

Have to say I was a bit disappointed with The Menu. Went into it not knowing much in terms of the plot, just read the reviews which were mostly positive. Without wanting to give away any spoilers, where didn’t the guests try harder if you know what I mean? They just sat there and took it pretty much. I know it’s satire but didn’t think it was remotely realistic other than the hero worshiping of celebrities.

The first half was really intriguing, but once the mystery was gone, what was left wasn't very interesting and towards the end it just got silly.

Can you believe Scorsese won his first and only Oscar for that film? Crazy given his body of work. Spielberg only has 2 best director
Oscar’s. How can the GOAT only have 2? Shows how quite often it’s not about talent or merit.

Yeh the Oscars are weird, Newman should have won for Hustler and many others and then wins for Colour of Money which is a good film but not as good as the ones he lost out on. Far too much politics involved in the oscars

I think I knew Infernal Affairs so well, the first time I saw Departed in the cinema I was instinctively comparing it shot-for-shot etc. Like when someone covers one of your favourite band's songs.

I do get the comparisons as in there is an IA policeman looking for another, but then the introduction of Nicholson makes it more of its own story and the fact that the actual IA cop is being pursued by an undercover and his demise

I do get the comparisons as in there is an IA policeman looking for another, but then the introduction of Nicholson makes it more of its own story and the fact that the actual IA cop is being pursued by an undercover and his demise

The same happens in infernal affairs? Or is that part 2? Long time ago since i watched them.

The same happens in infernal affairs? Or is that part 2? Long time ago since i watched them.

Na, in IA Garcia investigates Gere from the off, never seen the second one so can't comment

Edit, just read that its a remake of the one set in Hong Kong........never seen it

Back