• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I didnt even know until now there was a new one out.. Haven't seen the last one... or the one with women
I enjoyed the last, just about right level of sentiment with action. This one's just abut poor IMO. People will love th3 nostalgia, but that wore off early on for me in the film

I didnt even know until now there was a new one out.. Haven't seen the last one... or the one with women

The last one was pretty good. The one with women got a lot of bad press, it’s not a great film but it wasn’t as bad as the reviews made out. But it wasn’t funny. Had nothing to do with the fact that women were in it, it was a lot of the same cast and the same director from Bridesmaids which is a very good film, the female ghostbusters film was just a misfire.

All 5 Ghostbusters films are pretty crap.

The original was the best, but it's pretty horrendous (misogynistic) re-watching it today: https://www.ravishly.com/2015/02/03/newsflash-original-ghostbusters-was-totally-sexist

And the famous Ghostbusters theme is a rip off of I Want a New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News: https://www.briffa.com/blog/classic-copyright-cases-ghostbusters/

Case in point to what I was talking about earlier re James Bond. People act surprised when old films don’t stack up to today’s more progressive standards. Appreciate them for what they are. Its like watching a film from the 50s and saying “why isn’t anyone using an iPhone?”

Case in point to what I was talking about earlier re James Bond. People act surprised when old films don’t stack up to today’s more progressive standards. Appreciate them for what they are. Its like watching a film from the 50s and saying “why isn’t anyone using an iPhone?”
I listened to an interesting radio conversation today about censorship and changing cultural values.

The main point was how Mary Poppins has just had its rating upped because of the blackface slur in it that no one ever noticed until just now. Whereas the new Bob Marley film passed as ok for 8 year olds (12a rating), despite weed being smoked throughout it, because society is cool with drugs now.

I listened to an interesting radio conversation today about censorship and changing cultural values.

The main point was how Mary Poppins has just had its rating upped because of the blackface slur in it that no one ever noticed until just now. Whereas the new Bob Marley film passed as ok for 8 year olds (12a rating), despite weed being smoked throughout it, because society is cool with drugs now.

A lot of the older (pre 80s) Disney films have disclaimers before them now in case they cause offence because the attitudes were obviously different back then. I wonder if it’s dawned on the people that are behind this movement that there will be disclaimers and trigger warnings in 50 years from now on films released today. We don’t know what will be acceptable in the future just like they didn’t know back then what would be problematic in 2024.

I'm not sure what you mean by blackface slur. But yeah blackface is probably worse than having a smoke.

"Society" has been fine with seeing people on film drink alcohol, imbibe nicotine via smoking tobacco so weed as the healthier option out of the three seems fair game as well to me.

At least it's just the rating that's changed with Mary Poppins and the whole film hasn't been redacted. I'm in favour of ratings / trigger* warnings adding context for macarons who need it as opposed to shelving entire episodes of things. The DND community episode as well as the remaking lethal weapon in it's always sunny are great examples of overcorrection whilst totally missing the point.

*The irony being that people (mainly the new brand of right wing snowflakes) are triggered by the word trigger or mere mention of a safe space. As if a bit of a warning with the aim of compassion is some newfound oppressive tyranny...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by blackface slur. But yeah blackface is probably worse than having a smoke.

"Society" has been fine with seeing people on film drink alcohol, imbibe nicotine via smoking tobacco so weed as the healthier option out of the three seems fair game as well to me.

At least it's just the rating that's changed with Mary Poppins and the whole film hasn't been redacted. I'm in favour of ratings / trigger* warnings adding context for macarons who need it as opposed to shelving entire episodes of things. The DND community episode as well as the remaking lethal weapon in it's always sunny are great examples of overcorrection whilst totally missing the point.

*The irony being that people (mainly the new brand of right wing snowflakes) are triggered by the word trigger or mere mention of a safe space. As if a bit of a warning with the aim of compassion is some newfound oppressive tyranny...

Some trigger warnings are good. I get emails from most brands I buy from asking if I would prefer not to get emails about Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. My dad isn’t around anymore so personally I’d prefer not to get the emails, that’s a considerate thing to do. Like with anything, some of them can be unnecessary IMO. Like some liberal arts colleges in the states require a trigger warning for the phrase “trigger warning”.

It's when the kids go up the chimneys and someone mutters something about them being piccaninnies or something.

A lot of the older (pre 80s) Disney films have disclaimers before them now in case they cause offence because the attitudes were obviously different back then. I wonder if it’s dawned on the people that are behind this movement that there will be disclaimers and trigger warnings in 50 years from now on films released today. We don’t know what will be acceptable in the future just like they didn’t know back then what would be problematic in 2024.
I reckon meat eating and sex will be the two growth areas there. They are two things younger people seem to be swerving significantly away from. Already most American films have become notably more sexless in the last decade or so, due to their insane ratings system (anyone being able to see an R instead of it being a hard 15) and church influence.

I reckon meat eating and sex will be the two growth areas there. They are two things younger people seem to be swerving significantly away from. Already most American films have become notably more sexless in the last decade or so, due to their insane ratings system (anyone being able to see an R instead of it being a hard 15) and church influence.
Used to enjoy a toss in the cinema. Think its why I don't go anymore.

Went to the cinema yesterday, to see if dune part 2 was on. It was just asian films and for some reason the original omen film.

I'll stream it instead.

Back