• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Better not cast an Aussie or an Irishman then…

Dalton is Welsh, Craig and Moore English.

Even Connery only got it half right, as Bond is half Scottish and half Swiss-French.

In terms of an accurate representation of the character from the book (age, background, values), I always thought Prince Phillip was a bit of the one that got a way.

We're they playing as an irishman or aussie?

Just make him a disabled, black, hindu, transexual.

I really don't give a brick.

I prefer asian films anyway. They just stick to making good stories and leave the agendas out of it.

It depends if they go for period setting or contemporary.

Period setting/Cold War/East Berlin Patel might not work.

But he's exactly what a modern British spy would look like. The one I know is Afghan immigrant, and that's probably quite typical.

There is no agenda other than I think he’d be awesome as Bond

They are actors. They act.

Which is how it should be. Get the best person for the role regardless of their race, sexuality etc. Bryan Cranston and Eddie Redmayne both got stick for playoff people with disabilities. Tom Hanks said he wouldn’t play another gay character as he’s straight but I don’t see why. Gay and straight people should be allowed to play opposites. It’s one of the reasons why football and sport in general unlike most other industries because you know the people on the field are the absolute best at what they do. There’s no nepotism, Lebron James wants to play in the NBA with his son but his son won’t make it on the team unless he earns it and because he has talent.

Good luck with that. They'll probably do it.

Think he's a great actor though.

Haven’t they pretty much decided it’s going to be Aaron Taylor Johnson? Again im not sure he’s the right fit for the role, can’t put my finger on why, but he might prove me wrong. I wasn’t convinced Daniel Craig was the right choice but he was great.

It depends if they go for period setting or contemporary.

Period setting/Cold War/East Berlin Patel might not work.

But he's exactly what a modern British spy would look like. The one I know is Afghan immigrant, and that's probably quite typical.

Make a film of a british spy of asian descent. Got no problem with that. I'd watch it over a bond film. But why change bond from who he is? His backstory etc...

I've lived in india, i'm in asia now and am travelling to sri lanka on monday. Had an asian wife. Got no problems with asians. Got problem with people fudging about with established characters.

If it was a black, latino, asian hero i wouldn't dream of race swapping him for a white person (yes i know hollywood has done that and i don't like it.

If you want to make a new story, make a new story.

Make a film of a british spy of asian descent. Got no problem with that. I'd watch it over a bond film. But why change bond from who he is? His backstory etc...

I've lived in india, i'm in asia now and am travelling to sri lanka on monday. Had an asian wife. Got no problems with asians. Got problem with people fudging about with established characters.

If it was a black, latino, asian hero i wouldn't dream of race swapping him for a white person (yes i know hollywood has done that and i don't like it.

I think you're taking things a bit too literally bro.. You know it's a work of fiction yeah?

Your mask is slippin.

The bond thing is weird.
Surely, as you say, a better idea would a spy story with characters and back story that reflect the background of the ethnicity of the actors.
Highlight their journey, whatever ups and downs they have suffered or enjoyed.
Always felt putting in an idris Elba (who would have been great) for instance is down playing what a person who isn't white and from that privileged background has went through to get there.

The bond thing is weird.
Surely, as you say, a better idea would a spy story with characters and back story that reflect the background of the ethnicity of the actors.
Highlight their journey, whatever ups and downs they have suffered or enjoyed.
Always felt putting in an idris Elba (who would have been great) for instance is down playing what a person who isn't white and from that privileged background has went through to get there.

I'd love original stories. It's got to be better than trying to shoehorn.

Bond has been done to death. Do something new. Aliens too.

@jrh you might laugh. But i'm in a beach bar, drinking a rum and coke, watching a beautiful sunset.

Let bond be whatever you want.

Too many are confused about the Bond characters, the film persona is miles apart from the middle class, xenophobic, chauvinist, homophobic action hero in the books of Ian Fleming.

Too many are confused about the Bond characters, the film persona is miles apart from the middle class, xenophobic, chauvinist, homophobic action hero in the books of Ian Fleming.

Is it? He's always been upper middle class, chauvanist, probably xenophobic.

Alright he might not think gays can't whistle.

The books were written 70 years ago so it’s not that surprising that his attitudes don’t exactly measure up to today’s standards. Judi Dench even called him a “sexist, misogynist dinosaur” in Goldeneye.

It’s absolutely right that they should update him and make him more modern but it does make me laugh when people look back on historical figures, real or made up and are shocked that they’re not as progressive as we are today or understand that people evolve as time goes on.

Is it? He's always been upper middle class, chauvanist, probably xenophobic.

Alright he might not think gays can't whistle.

Almost got battered for the gays can't whistle bit.

Took my mum to the local pub. About 10 posties were in there.
Mum was a bit tinkled.

- i miss when postmen used to whistle while delivering mail.
- well ian flemming says gays can't whistle.
- peter, my son said you're all gay.

Cheers.

Back