• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

So, The Whale. Just the images of it seem ridiculous to me. Isn't fatting up like that just a new blacking up? I like Brendan Fraser usually.

I think has put on some weight for natural reasons in his time away from the spotlight, but he also wore a fatsuit for that movie.

I think has put on some weight for natural reasons in his time away from the spotlight, but he also wore a fatsuit for that movie.

I don’t see an issue with fatsuits either tbh. In an ideal world they would get an obese person to play the role but maybe they auditioned plenty of obese people but couldn’t find the right person for the role. Get the best person for the role, if that’s someone who isn’t obese then I don’t see what the issue is. People shouldn’t play outside their own race, but this isn’t really comparable IMO.

So, The Whale. Just the images of it seem ridiculous to me. Isn't fatting up like that just a new blacking up? I like Brendan Fraser usually.

In what way? I mean the story is about the trials of a guy dying of his health so are you saying that stories should not be written about obese people or people should only be employed in those roles if they are obese and not suit up?

In what way? I mean the story is about the trials of a guy dying of his health so are you saying that stories should not be written about obese people or people should only be employed in those roles if they are obese and not suit up?

Opens up all kinds of questions. What if an actor purposely gained weight for the role then lost it gradually after they finished filming? A line needs to be drawn with regards to people playing characters outside their race but other than that, it’s called acting for a reason :D

The latter.

So Melissa McCarthy got Oscar nominated because someone saw sense and decided Julianne Moore fatting-up for Can You Ever Forgive Me would be offensive, so they gave the role to a fat actress (McCarthy) instead.

Fat roles for fat people, the same as black roles for black people. It's mocking at best any other way.

The latter.

So Melissa McCarthy got Oscar nominated because someone saw sense and decided Julianne Moore fatting-up for Can You Ever Forgive Me would be offensive, so they gave the role to a fat actress (McCarthy) instead.

Fat roles for fat people, the same as black roles for black people. It's mocking at best any other way.
Wait til aliens land and start taking offence.

The latter.

What if someone chooses to put on weight rather than wearing a fat suit? Maybe they auditioned plenty of morbidly obese people but no one was suitable? Being overweight can’t be the only criteria, they have to be a good fit for the role too. Should straight people be allowed to play gay roles? Should gay people be allowed to play straight roles?

What if someone chooses to put on weight rather than wearing a fat suit? Maybe they auditioned plenty of morbidly obese people but no one was suitable? Being overweight can’t be the only criteria, they have to be a good fit for the role too. Should straight people be allowed to play gay roles? Should gay people be allowed to play straight roles?

What about if they identify as being fat?

The latter.

Some of Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr's best work was in Tropic Thunder.
And that's got fat suit and blacking up.

Eddie Redmayne has made public apologies for doing exactly that re the Danish Girl

Back