• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

No just different, if anything would guess Netflix is stronger. You can get a monthly prime sub for £8 to give it a go.

Am with them, but was a lovefilm guy(just enjoyed getting something other then bills in the post) and got a great selection of films both western and foreign. I enjoy foreign movies and not dirty ones.

The is a french movie about an art dealer and a taxi driver who goes on who wants to be a millionaire which is one of my favourites of all time.

Am with them, but was a lovefilm guy(just enjoyed getting something other then bills in the post) and got a great selection of films both western and foreign. I enjoy foreign movies and not dirty ones.

The is a french movie about an art dealer and a taxi driver who goes on who wants to be a millionaire which is one of my favourites of all time.
In my pretentious post uni days blitzed my way through loads of foreign films, these days a little too lazy to do subtitles and won't watch dubbed so not sure about the foreign output.

I am naming the obvious but if you haven't watched Amelie or Old boy then do.

In my pretentious post uni days blitzed my way through loads of foreign films, these days a little too lazy to do subtitles and won't watch dubbed so not sure about the foreign output.

I am naming the obvious but if you haven't watched Amelie or Old boy then do.

Amelie was crap, old boy was amazing.

Loved this as well, really nice take on a well worn concept.

It was the second time I saw it, and honestly it was a much better (and more emotional!) experience.

I think knowing the story allows you to really appreciate how its told, pick up on the details etc.

If youve only seen it the once I would highly recommend another viewing.

Off the top of my head, foreign movies that I think are brilliant:
Le Diner Des Cons
La Haine
Tale of Tales
Visitor Q
Gozu
Delicatessen
Funny Games
Audition
Man Bites Dog

Haven’t seen all of those but a few more foreign films that I’ve enjoyed:

City of GHod
The Motorcycle Diaries
Belleville Rendez-vous
Battle Royale
Elle
Zatoichi
Seven Samurai

do amazon have a better selection of movies then netflix? not impressed by the netflix offering
I use Justacoch.com to find which of Amazon (I pay the upfront annual fee of £79 for Prime) or Netflix are showing a particular movie... not so diverse a selection as LoveFilm used to stock though.

Watched Darkest Hour - not bad, pretty decent, good performances, one very obvious "yeah, didn't happen..." scene. Gary Oldman is good.
Captain Phillips - seen it before, Tom Hanks is good in it, forgot how harrowing and pretty intense it was. Cargo ship gets taken over by Somali pirates, and the Captain gets held to ransom.
Angels & Demons - missus wanted to watch it (again for her, first time for me), because it's set in Rome, and we're off there for a few days in May. Cheesy, and a bit bland, but it passed the time.
Logan - don't usually like comic book films, but this wasn't so bad. Some good bits, some funny bits, and the moody kid reminded me of my "teenage" 9 year old.
Get Out - well made, good film, but could have done with a bit "more" in the final third. Found the ending all a bit quick and a bit lacking. But still good overall.

Watched Darkest Hour - not bad, pretty decent, good performances, one very obvious "yeah, didn't happen..." scene. Gary Oldman is good.
Apparently the 'tube' scene is not supposed to be realistic, it is supposed to be a shorthand way of getting to the feelings and subtext and zeitgeist and general emotional heart of the situation... it is not supposed to be "so this actually happened". I do feel they could have got this feeling across without shoe-horning in a silly scene.
Captain Phillips - seen it before, Tom Hanks is good in it, forgot how harrowing and pretty intense it was. Cargo ship gets taken over by Somali pirates, and the Captain gets held to ransom.
I thought you meant Huddy or Hudson or Captain Hudson lands his plane on the Hudson or whatever it is called, that is a good, solid film.
Angels & Demons - missus wanted to watch it (again for her, first time for me), because it's set in Rome, and we're off there for a few days in May. Cheesy, and a bit bland, but it passed the time.
Utter tripe.
Logan - don't usually like comic book films, but this wasn't so bad. Some good bits, some funny bits, and the moody kid reminded me of my "teenage" 9 year old.
Yeah, agreed. It is OK. Still annoying in places, but watchable.
Get Out - well made, good film, but could have done with a bit "more" in the final third. Found the ending all a bit quick and a bit lacking. But still good overall.
Agreed, everyone said "OMG you have to watch this, you'll never believe what happens, it is SHAMAZING" and I just thought "Yeah, thought so, yeah and ... er... where is the amazing reveal? Oh... it already happened"

I do feel they could have got this feeling across without shoe-horning in a silly scene.
Yeah - agreed, it was a bit too obvious and stand-out really.

"Sully: Miracle on the Hudson"
Presume you mean this, which is also Tom Hanks - I've not seen it actually, though I'm sure the plot sounds familiar. Is there another version or another very similar sounding film from a few years back, and without Tom Hanks? :D

I was being polite about Angels & Demons, but it is. You're right :D Did see a bit of Rome from it though.

Saw Coco today. Excellent film. Had to fight hard not to shed a tear at the end too.

It sounded like every woman in the cinema was blubbering at the end when I watched Coco!

Academy Screener of The Post out

I watched The Post last week, can understand why Spielberg wanted to rush the film out but it just felt a politically correct TV movie prequel to All The President’s Men.

Darkest Hour with Gary Oldman - very good film and extrmemly educational for me 8/10 (worth watching Dunkirk first)

New Star Wars 6/10 Disney are turning these films into a joke and its half an hour too long

Yet to watch Darkest Hour but I also found The Last Jedi was disappointing but guess I shouldn’t have expected too much as I didn’t rate Looper.

Back