• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I think thats quite silly, to be honest. Strangely judgemental.

I assume there are many films that could apply to the same criteria that you actually like.

I see nothing wrong with an adventure, a popcorn movie, whatever genre it falls in.

One thing in the comic book movies favour is that there is a genuinely rich mythology to mine and add depth to these things, which can be really enjoyable.

What, you think Rudyard Kipling IS "silly" ?

What an incredibly boring life that must be.

When I became a man, I continued to laugh at fart jokes. When I became a man I continued to grin like a madman every time I get my car sideways. When I became a man I bought my whole family Nerf guns for Christmas and chased them around the house shooting at them. When I became a man I continued to love Star Wars, except now I have a fricking awesome setup to watch it on.

When I became a man I kept many of the fun bits of being a child, that's how I know I'm still alive.

That's not the same thing as watching throwaway 'film.'

That's not the same thing as watching throwaway 'film.'
Isn't it? Many of the best things in life involve embracing one's childhood. That despite all the pressures and responsibilities we find ourselves lumbered with as adults, we're still able to enjoy the things that made the world so ridiculously fudging exciting when we were 6 year olds.

For many people one of those childhood memories/experiences is a comic book movie. I still look back very fondly at the Superman films despite knowing they were utter brick.

Isn't it? Many of the best things in life involve embracing one's childhood. That despite all the pressures and responsibilities we find ourselves lumbered with as adults, we're still able to enjoy the things that made the world so ridiculously fudging exciting when we were 6 year olds.

For many people one of those childhood memories/experiences is a comic book movie. I still look back very fondly at the Superman films despite knowing they were utter brick.
That and wine.

I don't mind some comic book films, but I think they've torn the arse out of them for now.
I liked the films up to and including the first Avengers film. Thor 2 had some good moments - especially that reveal of Loki in the prison cell. The first Guardians was amusing and a good break from the norm.

Past that it all gets a bit rushed. The last Avengers film* really suffered from having too many characters - it didn't spend any time on the relationships between them, which was what made the earlier ones good.

In their defence, when compared to the fudging buzzkill that is the DC stuff, and the casting horror show that created Fatbatman, it's pretty much Sergio Leone.

*Edit: I might be thinking about the latest Captain America one (#teamTomFord) - the latest ones all blur a bit.

Slightly off this topic, but embracing your those of 'fart jokes as an adult' (I concur!) Sascha Baron Cohen has kept me amused and maintained my faith in adulthood's ability to be utterly pathetically puerile, yet strangely informative and current, like no other. The Brothers Grimsby deserves an Oscar. Snuck off one night to see it alone, was in the theatre with a couple of pensioners, a very fat teenager and some semi-homeless bloke who'd schlepped his cans in. When Rebel Wilson queefs and looks at Nobby to breathily announce 'that wasn't my arse' I swear, I was crying with uncontrollable laughter and dotted around the theatre I could hear the other weirdos giggling too. That was TWENTY MINUTES IN! By the time him and Mark Strong were playing Pan's Pipes during the final frame, my sides hurt and I had tear stains on my cheeks. I felt like a naughty childish 12 year old. Subsequently, I bought the film on iTunes and made the missus watch it (she laughed at my laughing)...bear in mind, I am a Kubrick acolyte, but there HAS to be room in life for films like this!

Last edited:
I liked the films up to and including the first Avengers film. Thor 2 had some good moments - especially that reveal of Loki in the prison cell. The first Guardians was amusing and a good break from the norm.

Past that it all gets a bit rushed. The last Avengers film* really suffered from having too many characters - it didn't spend any time on the relationships between them, which was what made the earlier ones good.

In their defence, when compared to the fudging buzzkill that is the DC stuff, and the casting horror show that created Fatbatman, it's pretty much Sergio Leone.

*Edit: I might be thinking about the latest Captain America one (#teamTomFord) - the latest ones all blur a bit.

They are coming a bit thick and fast, but there is still some gems in there.

Logan, while IMO not quite deserving of the hype, was wonderfully emotional. Saying good bye to the character and actor who played him near 20 years. It really hits you in the feels.

Recently Ragnarok was just a riot. Its like they just said "fudge it, lets have fun" and I loved it.

Last year, Deadpool, wonderfully subversive.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, while probably not as good as the first was still brilliant. Again, surprisingly emotional - even more surprisingly the little Raccoon is the one with the emotional journey. Its not often a CGI character is so fully realised.

But, of course, in that time there has been a number of fun but throwaway ones, Spiderman, Civil War, Ant Man...

And some outright brick - anything DC or Xmen.

So I totally understand the whole saturation/superhero fatigue angle, but there is still some quality in there.

They are coming a bit thick and fast, but there is still some gems in there.

Logan, while IMO not quite deserving of the hype, was wonderfully emotional. Saying good bye to the character and actor who played him near 20 years. It really hits you in the feels.

Recently Ragnarok was just a riot. Its like they just said "fudge it, lets have fun" and I loved it.

Last year, Deadpool, wonderfully subversive.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, while probably not as good as the first was still brilliant. Again, surprisingly emotional - even more surprisingly the little Raccoon is the one with the emotional journey. Its not often a CGI character is so fully realised.

But, of course, in that time there has been a number of fun but throwaway ones, Spiderman, Civil War, Ant Man...

And some outright brick - anything DC or Xmen.

So I totally understand the whole saturation/superhero fatigue angle, but there is still some quality in there.
How could I forget Deadpool - my favourite of all of them.

Superhero films are the movie equivalent of saturday night on BBC1 and ITV.........pap.
There like a trump rally in their predictability and lack of variety.....Deadpool was at least watchable....sudoku got me through poor parts.

Im excited about The Last Jedi on Thursday. Heard too many good things already. Thankfully no spoilers, but the buzz from those that have seen it is very positive.

Im excited about The Last Jedi on Thursday. Heard too many good things already. Thankfully no spoilers, but the buzz from those that have seen it is very positive.

Yup, I enjoyed the nostalgia trip of The a Force Awakens and the finale of Rogue One was glorious.

I’m booked in, with a fellow Wembley Pass holder, to watch The Last Jedi up local IMAX on Wednesday at midnight; so hopefully the trains are running punctually to whisk us home after the Brighton game.

Yup, I enjoyed the nostalgia trip of The a Force Awakens and the finale of Rogue One was glorious.

I’m booked in, with a fellow Wembley Pass holder, to watch The Last Jedi up local IMAX on Wednesday at midnight; so hopefully the trains are running punctually to whisk us home after the Brighton game.

Watch closely and these 'new' Star Wars films are nothing more than reboots off the old ones, i.e. Luke Sky Walker is now playing the role of Obi Wan. The plot lines are identical, i.e a new set of twins one a boy and one a girl.

Back