• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Further proof of a manager who can see what he has in his locker. Both Defoe and Azza, two players who I fear were drifting into oblivion, are like new signings!

Would agree with that, Defoe and Lennon have both looked more dangerous so far this season and its got a lot to do with leadership from AVB.

I was just about to post that. In fact I think I still will to make it easier for others. An excellent read.

Jermain Defoe's deft movement provides Tottenham with fresh threat

The striker was Spurs' unsung hero at Old Trafford and showed the team do not need Luka Modric to be a lethal attacking force

Michael Cox
The Guardian, Sunday 30 September 2012 23.00 BST

Jermain-Defoes-movement-f-001.jpg

Jermain Defoe's movement for Tottenham's first two goals against Manchester United was excellent
For Tottenham's second goal, Jermain Defoe dragged Manchester United's Jonny Evans behind Rio Ferdinand, giving Gareth Bale space to exploit.​

This was three separate contests condensed into a single, breathless period of 90 minutes. There was the first-half pattern, where Spurs were superior at passing, pressing and counter-attacking. This was followed by a manic period of end-to-end football immediately after half-time, before Spurs conceded the midfield battle and focused on last-ditch defending for the final half hour.

Tottenham took command through a combination of patient possession play and powerful running. André Villas-Boas's side started strongly, with Sandro sitting deep and Mousa Dembélé and Clint Dempsey in advanced positions, forming triangles around Manchester United's midfielders.

Jan Vertonghen was an unlikely source for the opening goal, especially as United seemed to target him in the first half, constantly hitting long balls towards Nani. Vertonghen's directness in possession was the theme of the first half, and will be a key feature of Spurs' approach throughout the 2012-13 season.

Luka Modric's departure robbed Spurs of their most astute passer, and by replacing him with Dembélé, a converted forward who runs past defenders readily, their midfield has a very different bent. It was an accidental tactical shift – Villas-Boas was desperate to sign João Moutinho instead – but it proved very useful at Old Trafford. Dembélé led Spurs' fight with four successful dribbles – and United had been warned about his threat after his excellent display at Old Trafford in a Fulham shirt only a month ago.

Gareth Bale's goal was another fine example of Tottenham's dribbling at the heart of United's defence. Questions must be asked of United's backline – particularly Rio Ferdinand – but Jermain Defoe deserves huge credit for his off-the-ball movement for both first-half goals. For Vertonghen's strike, he saw Rafael da Silva moving up the pitch trying to stick tight to Bale, so drifted out towards the left flank. This dragged Ferdinand wildly out of position into the right-back zone, opening up space in the centre of the pitch, exploited eagerly by Vertonghen.

His movement for the second goal was even better. Realising Bale's speed had led Spurs into a two-versus-two situation on the break, the striker again darted left, taking Jonny Evans into a position behind Ferdinand, so Bale was presented with space to run into to the right. Defoe won't be credited with an assist – he didn't touch the ball in either move – but his contribution was vital.

United have looked vulnerable to different types of attacking on consecutive eekends – they were unable to compete with Liverpool's ball retention last Sunday, and were uncomfortable against Spurs' direct play here. The two problems have the same root cause – the lack of a ball-winning midfielder.

Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick's passing ability is renowned, however, and Tottenham's early pressing to limit their influence was highly impressive. The stamina and defensive work shown by the attacking players disproved theories that the players aren't committed to Villas-Boas's project, and United's first-half passing was toothless.

After the early second-half madness, prompted by a rollicking from Sir Alex Ferguson and the addition of Wayne Rooney to provide extra movement, Tottenham sat back. Dembélé played alongside Sandro, the wide players dropped deep, and United dominated possession to a staggering extent – they completed 392 second-half passes to Tottenham's 35.

Villas-Boas attempted to maintain Tottenham's energetic midfield pressing, replacing Dempsey with Gylfi Sigurdsson and telling Dembélé to get tight to Scholes, but this left Carrick free – and his players were simply too tired to keep on chasing. Eventually he brought on Tom Huddlestone to sit deep, allowed United the run of midfield and relied on scrappy, old-fashioned penalty-box defending to secure a famous victory.
So much for those saying Defoe was too old to learn.

Attachments

• Jermain-Defoes-movement-f-001.jpg
    Jermain-Defoes-movement-f-001.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 7

To be fair, I thought Defoe had improved his all round game about a year ago but never really got a real opportunity to show it....

Defoe´s movement was horrible before this season and has been all his career. He is like a new player under AVB, loving it so far and I was his biggest hater before the season

Ever since returning from Portsmouth he has shown glimpses of being able to hold up the ball and involve others, but it always fades quickly. I still feel I need to see a bit more consistency.

Ever since returning from Portsmouth he has shown glimpses of being able to hold up the ball and involve others, but it always fades quickly. I still feel I need to see a bit more consistency.

I agree but I would date it to when he came back from the injury after he rejoined us. He bulked up a bit during his time out.

Do you really truly believe that Harrys mantra was to tell every to 'run around'? you dont get to Quarters in CL by running around and you dont have 454 finishes in the league employing the same philosophy. It wasnt just Harry who thought Defoe couldnt play on his own - lots of people thought the same so many.

There is a change in Defoe's game and yeah it may be down to AVBs coaching but it could also be Defoe having all this confidence and playing like a free man. It may well be because he sees himself as the main man now so has to play like one. He could have learnt from the likes of Ade and VDV?

It is still early days to judge AvB and Defoe (as a lone striker) but what i am sayings the signs in the last few games are good and a fair bit should be credited to tatic and playing in a "system".

Harry (A manager that i highly appreciate) is a manager we saw in action for the last few years so clearly there are enough time for most of us to form our own observations. To me, he is excellent in motivating the players and putting them at their respective natural positions. tatic wise Harry can be rather clueless. This is why last season when he was "busy" with England the motivating factors went away, players were at a lost and we sucks. I truely believe Harry cost us CL.

I agree but I would date it to when he came back from the injury after he rejoined us. He bulked up a bit during his time out.

was that when he used ian wrightss old fitness coach? there was a player who could run all day as well, i feel wright is not given the credit he deserved as aa top striker because he became a bit of a joke figure when he retired from football. That was in the days when i did not mind cheering arsenal players when they played for england now we just have a bunch of nobs playing for england all across the pitch.

To be fair, I thought Defoe had improved his all round game about a year ago but never really got a real opportunity to show it....

Possibly, although I think Defoe has always had a rough deal. I was watching some goals from the Berbatov era recently and it struck me that the partnership of Berbatov/Keane was a complete myth. Almost all the best linked up striker goals involved Defoe and Berbatov, ironically with Defoe usually supplying Berbatov.

Possibly, although I think Defoe has always had a rough deal. I was watching some goals from the Berbatov era recently and it struck me that the partnership of Berbatov/Keane was a complete myth. Almost all the best linked up striker goals involved Defoe and Berbatov, ironically with Defoe usually supplying Berbatov.

I'd be interested in seeing how many games Defoe and Berbatov played together and their stats from that period, from memory it doesn't seem like that many but I could be wrong.

I think that Defoe has been very unlucky in his second stint at the club, he was injured when he first came back and then he was played in a position behind Pav because he was the more adaptable of the two. The following season was pretty successful and him and Crouch formed an effective partnership. 2010-11 got injured in on England duty after a really strong start to the season and was effectively then replaced by VdV.

Indeed...I remember getting slaughtered for saying Berbs and Defoe worked together, and that when he scored, what was it, 9 in 12 or whatever that time Keane was out, and was subsequently dropped the second Keane was fit, it was clear that there was a first 11 regardless of form!

Nice to see people finally waking up to him, what he's always had in his locker, the appalling luck he's had over the last few seasons...of course, most of all, it's nice to see a coaching staff who get it! Hope Ade gets on board with the squad game...

was that when he used ian wrightss old fitness coach?

Defoe looked finished in the 2010/11 season. Lost all his quickness and power, scored only 4 times in 22 games.
He probably would have been as well, if it wasn't for his attitude change and his work with said fitness coach.
Impressive how he's worked on himself and his game these two years.

Defoe looked finished in the 2010/11 season. Lost all his quickness and power, scored only 4 times in 22 games.
He probably would have been as well, if it wasn't for his attitude change and his work with said fitness coach.
Impressive how he's worked on himself and his game these two years.

For a player who was lip-serviced and shat upon for years to go away the close season before this and train with a French fitness expert during the times when most of the are off in Dubai or Aya Napa larging it up showed INCREDIBLE dedication. Defoe's work rate and dedication can never be questioned, which is why when he was getting called 'lazy' by some a year ago it beggared belief!!!!

was that when he used ian wrightss old fitness coach? there was a player who could run all day as well, i feel wright is not given the credit he deserved as aa top striker because he became a bit of a joke figure when he retired from football. That was in the days when i did not mind cheering arsenal players when they played for england now we just have a bunch of nobs playing for england all across the pitch.

For me, Ian Wright, like the Donkey, was 110% them, wore it, gave it their all and took every single bit of stick from us in the right way. I always respected them even though I screamed abuse!!!! Wright is actually a player and personality I have a lot of time for because he is not a trumper.

Defoe has obviously looked at his game and worked hard on it, I have never been a big fan of JD but the improvement in his movement is clearly visible, I would not have thought in a million years he could play up top on his own but he is making a great job of it, the run for Bales goal was class, great stuff JD.

Defoe has obviously looked at his game and worked hard on it, I have never been a big fan of JD but the improvement in his movement is clearly visible, I would not have thought in a million years he could play up top on his own but he is making a great job of it, the run for Bales goal was class, great stuff JD.
He has to be the biggest success story of AVB's reign. He left Spurs to go to Portsmouth so I have never really understood the love he gets. But right now he is doing great and long may it continue.

Last edited:

Nice to see people finally waking up to him, what he's always had in his locker, the appalling luck he's had over the last few seasons...of course, most of all, it's nice to see a coaching staff who get it! Hope Ade gets on board with the squad game...
I've always backed Defoe, but have to admit I didn't think he was going to fit in with AVBs plans and said as much. Happy to be wrong. Still not completely convinced but we're winning, so...

He has always been underrated IMO. always had a good all round game. Technically a very good player. Good eye for a pass, Good at dribbling, good shot, good at making space for himself, two footed, scored a hat trick for England with his left foot.

He was very good with Berbatov, they played some great stuff together. Defoe has just been unlucky with managers. Jol, Harry and Erickson.

Mourinhio has always rated him, so has Wenger. Sure he is going to have a few bad games, going to be off form for a bit, all strikers do, but the bar has been set high for him.

There was never any reason he could not play up top by himself, no good reason.

I always think we are more likely to score, with him on the pitch.

Back