• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Hopefully we would have a loan deal included for each year to help him keep fitness, and also help us cover African Nation tournaments. If not, we missed.. Levy out!

On reading on the subject, just found out that the guy that is leading this Toronto spend is or was the head honcho at AEG.

Guys it doesnt look like it was us, he wanted to leave. Ok he wasnt getting any playing time but its a ne wopportunity for him.

I am gutted as I rate him highly and he still has 3/4 good seasons in him at least in the prem. Ive said it before and Ill say it again if you play JD 38 times in the prem he will get you 15-20 goals. Maybe not more but he will get you those goals. He just hasnt been played much for us and if you keep getting dropped its hard for you to have any kind of form.

Good luck JD, true servant to the club.

Goodbye Jermain. Never got anywhere near fulfilling the massive potential we thought he had when we first signed him 10 years ago, but 142 goals for Tottenham is 142 goals for Tottenham. Lots of points won, lots of great memories from him. Our top European goalscorer, could still become our top Premier League goalscorer, our 5th top goalscorer of all time, highest goalscorer of any player we've had since 1976. Gotta respect it.

Alongside Dawson, Defoe is the only player left from my schooldays still at the club, and he is also the only surviving member of the pre-summer 2004 overhaul we went through which is widely considered to be the start of the time we got our act together and stopped being some pathetic mid-table club who were only there to make up the numbers. For me though, the start of the overhaul was not the signing of Arnesen and the summer's transfer activity, but the signing of Defoe. I remember picking up a newspaper on a nightbus, seeing that we were in for Defoe on the back pages and laughing at what sort of ****e that journalists would make up because he would surely only go to Arsenal or Man Utd. I was over the moon when we got him. Because after years of watching Sheringham, Ferdinand and Iversen play up front at walking pace, with Postiga and Zamora not looking up to it and with Keane still quite inconsistent, to have a fast, nippy, skillful striker who could scores goals out of nothing and cause all sorts of problems for an opposition defence gave me new found optimism for supporting Spurs. Suddenly, we had a talisman. A player who made you excited to come to White Hart Lane again.

Defoe (like Lennon) just seemed to sum up Tottenham as a club over the last 10 years. On his day, brilliant - fast, skillful, exciting to watch, great at ripping the weaker teams apart, but can go off the boil for long periods of time, choke in important matches and lack the composure to really be considered at the very top of the game. In a few years time, I probably won't remember those games in which he went missing, all those shots he blasted straight at the keeper when a calm side-footed finish into the corner would have resulted in an easy goal. My memories will be focused around brilliant, important goals - think last season's goal against City, the wonder goal against Arsenal, the bicycle kick against Man Utd, the 5 goals against Wigan, the hat-trick away to Hull to send us top of the league....and of course, all those goals in the Europa League/UEFA Cup.

Tottenham v Crystal Palace
Swansea v Tottenham
Tottenham v Emirates Marketing Project
Hull v Tottenham
Tottenham v Everton
Saudi Sportswashing Machine v Tottenham
FC Dnipro v Tottenham
Norwich v Tottenham
Tottenham v FC Dnipro

Those are the games he's left for. How fitting it will be for him to score a traditional Europa League goal, in front of the White Hart Lane crowd, the day before he leaves.

We've got 8 other forwards (5 #10s and 3 CFs).

Do you count Harry Kane as one of those centre forwards?

I agree that if Sherwood thinks he can use players like Lamela and Chadli in those more advanced roles with success we probably don't need another striker. That's a pretty big 'if' though. Without Ade we would be back to having no real physical presence up front unless Chadli finds his feet as a forward really quickly. Not an ideal situation for a team with a couple of good wingers and a buildup play that is a work in progress at least.

I think another striking option would be super helpful.

Goodbye Jermain. Never got anywhere near fulfilling the massive potential we thought he had when we first signed him 10 years ago, but 142 goals for Tottenham is 142 goals for Tottenham. Lots of points won, lots of great memories from him. Our top European goalscorer, could still become our top Premier League goalscorer, our 5th top goalscorer of all time, highest goalscorer of any player we've had since 1976. Gotta respect it.

Alongside Dawson, Defoe is the only player left from my schooldays still at the club, and he is also the only surviving member of the pre-summer 2004 overhaul we went through which is widely considered to be the start of the time we got our act together and stopped being some pathetic mid-table club who were only there to make up the numbers. For me though, the start of the overhaul was not the signing of Arnesen and the summer's transfer activity, but the signing of Defoe. I remember picking up a newspaper on a nightbus, seeing that we were in for Defoe on the back pages and laughing at what sort of ****e that journalists would make up because he would surely only go to Arsenal or Man Utd. I was over the moon when we got him. Because after years of watching Sheringham, Ferdinand and Iversen play up front at walking pace, with Postiga and Zamora not looking up to it and with Keane still quite inconsistent, to have a fast, nippy, skillful striker who could scores goals out of nothing and cause all sorts of problems for an opposition defence gave me new found optimism for supporting Spurs. Suddenly, we had a talisman. A player who made you excited to come to White Hart Lane again.

Defoe (like Lennon) just seemed to sum up Tottenham as a club over the last 10 years. On his day, brilliant - fast, skillful, exciting to watch, great at ripping the weaker teams apart, but can go off the boil for long periods of time, choke in important matches and lack the composure to really be considered at the very top of the game. In a few years time, I probably won't remember those games in which he went missing, all those shots he blasted straight at the keeper when a calm side-footed finish into the corner would have resulted in an easy goal. My memories will be focused around brilliant, important goals - think last season's goal against City, the wonder goal against Arsenal, the bicycle kick against Man Utd, the 5 goals against Wigan, the hat-trick away to Hull to send us top of the league....and of course, all those goals in the Europa League/UEFA Cup.

Tottenham v Crystal Palace
Swansea v Tottenham
Tottenham v Emirates Marketing Project
Hull v Tottenham
Tottenham v Everton
Saudi Sportswashing Machine v Tottenham
FC Dnipro v Tottenham
Norwich v Tottenham
Tottenham v FC Dnipro

Those are the games he's left for. How fitting it will be for him to score a traditional Europa League goal, in front of the White Hart Lane crowd, the day before he leaves.

Fantastic post =D>

After 11 seasons of deriding him, I guess it will be strange not to have him about any more.

I pretty much rate all our players, now that the Crouch, Defoe, Bentley and Jenases have all gone.

Guess I'll have to concentrate all my distain just on Timmeh now.

What about Liverbore?

Dawson on his off days can be horrendous :lol: but I think most of us like him a lot.

Our current lesser players...Kyle Naughton springs to mind. Don't think he's very good. Rose isn't very good either but not terrible

Do you count Harry Kane as one of those centre forwards?

I agree that if Sherwood thinks he can use players like Lamela and Chadli in those more advanced roles with success we probably don't need another striker. That's a pretty big 'if' though. Without Ade we would be back to having no real physical presence up front unless Chadli finds his feet as a forward really quickly. Not an ideal situation for a team with a couple of good wingers and a buildup play that is a work in progress at least.

I think another striking option would be super helpful.

Yeah. I was quite impressed by Kane's hold-up play the other day. Having never really seen anything in him, he suddenly looked a bit like Ricky Lambert.

What about Liverbore?

I don't mind him. Plus Hull have apparently got a permanent option on him if they stay up, so I don't think he'll be back.

I did forgot Khumalo though - I can't believe we still own him.

Tbh, I'd rather have two good strikers (RS and EA) than four mediocre ones like we've had in the past. We've enough #10s (CE, EL, LH, GS, NC) to get through the remained of the season, especially as we are out of 2/3 cups.

I'd rather we largely keep our power dry till our next permanent manager is installed.

I'd rather we added one more quality striker to cover for EA or RS injuries / loss of form / loss of will to play so as to avoid tailing off at the end of the season like when we got rid of Pav, or brought in Saha etc etc.

But no, we're going to wing it yet again.

Way to go Daniel. What sort of ****wit keeps repeating the same mistake year after year?

But more importantly - Good Luck JD, not that you'll need it to tear up the MLS, and thanks for all the goals and smashing one into Lehmann's face.

In a way Defoe has represented what has been good and what has been bad about us when he's been here.

On the good side he's obviously a good player, and an exciting player. Had he been around a decade earlier I think he would have left us sooner and gone to a bigger club as we were wobbling around mid table. He's been important for us as we've pushed on from that and up to regular 5th-ish finishes.

At the same time he represents the plateau we've seemingly hit. He's not as good as our best players, he's not good enough for a bigger club to come after him. He's been "the fallback option" when better players have moved on or those we hoped would be great turned out to be average. And so there we've been, like him. Good, exciting, but not quite good enough to get where we want to go next. The unfulfilled potential, the almost great, the oh so close.

Guys it doesnt look like it was us, he wanted to leave. Ok he wasnt getting any playing time but its a ne wopportunity for him.

I am gutted as I rate him highly and he still has 3/4 good seasons in him at least in the prem. Ive said it before and Ill say it again if you play JD 38 times in the prem he will get you 15-20 goals. Maybe not more but he will get you those goals. He just hasnt been played much for us and if you keep getting dropped its hard for you to have any kind of form.

Good luck JD, true servant to the club.

Agree with this.

Twitter / SpursStatMan: Jermain Defoe was offside for 82% of his time at Spurs. :lol:

Twitter / Spooky23: JD is pretty much a mirror image of the club. Erratic, sometimes brilliant, usually not, never reaches potential, struggles with gaps

[tweet]421647372805234688[/tweet]

[tweet]421592597438541825[/tweet]

Last edited:
Good luck to JD

However it's a big payday at the back-end of his career in a **** league that ends any chance of him playing for England again, bit sad.

He'll bang them in in MLS no question, if his team can get the ball to him.

Back