• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

If I said we were after a premier league striker who had scored the following..

2003 - 7
2004 - 13
2005 - 9
2006 - 10
2007 - 4 (19 Games sold)
2008 - 3 (8 Games after bought back)
2009 - 18
2010 - 4
2011 - 11
2012 - 11

Seriously would you be keen?.. I know I wouldn't..

Those were the days... How we could've done with something like a repeat performance last season...

Twitter / HotspurRelated: On this day in 2009 we smashed Wigan 9-1 at White Hart Lane with Defoe grabbing 5 goals.
BZqpgrBIIAAXpEy.jpg

Nothing to do with today's game and I'm sorry for picking on him, but why exactly does every English non-Spurs fan believe that he's some type of natural finishing, goal a game Messi type goal machine who we are doing a disservice to the nation by not picking? Just about every English pundit bigs him up, ironically the only one with any sense is Paul Merson who stated correctly that Defoe wouldn't get in Liverpool's, United's, Emirates Marketing Project's, Scum's or Chelsea's sides.

Nothing to do with today's game and I'm sorry for picking on him, but why exactly does every English non-Spurs fan believe that he's some type of natural finishing, goal a game Messi type goal machine who we are doing a disservice to the nation by not picking? Just about every English pundit bigs him up, ironically the only one with any sense is Paul Merson who stated correctly that Defoe wouldn't get in Liverpool's, United's, Emirates Marketing Project's, Scum's or Chelsea's sides.

Probably because most of those pundits support Liverpool, Chelski, L'**** etc and would want us to be even less equipped to challenge by picking Defoe...

An astute, attentive and erudite Spurs observer posted this story on the Olde Summer Transfer Window of 2013 thread way back on Oct. 31.

Erm, me, actually.

Right after it popped up on the Mirror and Toronto news websites. Actually, almost before them. Defoe's cousin lives here. She works with my wife and told her about his interest in transferring here back in the summer. I sort of pooh-poohed it back then.

Sources here say the move's happening in January.

Last edited:
An astute, attentive and erudite Spurs observer posted this story on the Olde Summer Transfer Window of 2013 thread way back on Oct. 31.

Erm, me, actually.

Right after it popped up on the Mirror and Toronto news websites. Actually, almost before them. Defoe's cousin lives here. She works with my wife and told her about his interest in transferring here back in the summer. I sort of pooh-poohed it back then.

Sources here say the move's happening in January.

I wonder did that have any influence on the promotion of Ade ahead of Defoe on Sunday.

Happy for him, 4 years £90k a week contract, that's gold.
Think he need to move on, and MLS will suit him well, he'll be king over there.
Allowing him to play with confidence, I don't see why it should be an obstacle for his World Cup hopes.
Should face reality though, that he only got half a year at max left of his England career - no matter where he decide to play.

Tottenham's Jermain Defoe agrees transfer to Toronto of MLS in January window

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...tenhams-jermain-defoe-agrees-transfer-2854640

I think it will be a bad move by Defoe, if this story is true. He is only 31 and still can play about 2-3 season more in the top leagues. Also, he has not won any trophies during his career in England. I think he will regret it forever if he goes without ever winning one. As for Spurs, I think it will be a bad move to let him leave before the season ends. He is our top scorer in Cup matches and we can still win 1 or 2 Cups with him around. Also, the 6m valuation seems too low since he is still our top scorer with 9 goals in all competitions so far this season.

Last edited:
I think it will be a bad move by Defoe, if this story is true. He is only 31 and still can play about 2-3 season more in the top leagues. Also, he has not won any trophies during his career in England. I think he will regret it forever if he goes without ever winning one. As for Spurs, I think it will be a bad move to let him leave before the season ends. He is our top scorer in Cup matches and we can still win 1 or 2 Cups with him around. Also, the 6m valuation seems too low since he is still our top scorer with 9 goals in all competitions so far this season.

Disagree. I can't see him being at Spurs next season whether he moves to Toronto in January or not. We can spend all day discussing whether that's a good or a bad thing for Spurs, but I can't see AVB holding on to him, and if AVB is fired, then the new guy will surely want to bring in a new striker to replace an ageing Defoe. Sure, he'd probably be good enough for the premiership for another couple of years, but it'd be with a team like West Ham or Norwich. Less money, shorter contract and no real chance of silverware. Or alternatively he can get a massive pay-off, a four year contract and be one of the stars of the (admittedly lesser) league. To me, that's a no-brainer. Toronto every time in my view.

Remember how the likes of Lineker, Owen, Andy Cole etc fell off a cliff soon after they hit 30. Age really affects players of that ilk in a way it doesn't big centre backs or casual ballplayers.

With one year left on his contact, even £2-3m will be a good return on him. As one of our highest earners, the saving on his wages will be considerable too.

Defoe out, Pato in, Spurs progress.

The problem remains with Defoe that he's too similar to Soldado and that he doesn't offer us anything different.

I wouldn't mind seeing him sold if a replacement player was brought in that could give us a somewhat more balanced strike force with a few more options. Not sure who that striker is though.

The Defoe to Toronto story gaining steam again

But he's poised to complement a much bigger name, someone Leiweke claimed this off-season will be one of the biggest signings in league history.

The Toronto Sun has learned Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe will join Toronto FC next season in what's sure to be the biggest off-season move MLS-wide -- both financially and tactically.

The Reds are believed to be dropping as much as $10 million on a transfer fee to secure the services of a player they'll pay upward of $150,000 per week, numbers that will make Defoe the highest-paid player in MLS history.

It's unclear whether the 31-year-old will join the Reds before next summer's World Cup, but TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko told the Sun last weekend he's working to have both DPs settled in Toronto before next season.

By the end of next week, expect TFC's roster to be -- on paper -- a lock to make the post-season, a prediction Leiweke made two months before the Reds embarked on what will eventually turn out to be the most transformational few weeks in club history.

Combine the additions of Jackson, Gilberto and Defoe with a number of likely veteran signings next week and we might be witnessing the start of an unprecedented turnaround by league standards.

"We promised our fans back in September that this club would make bold moves this off-season and that they should evaluate our progress in January," Bezbatchenko said today in downtown Toronto. "We will continue to work toward delivering on that promise over the next month."

After Defoe is introduced in January, the Reds will sport a championship-caliber striking trio in Gilberto and Bright Dike, who will go from being the club's first-choice No. 9 to a solid choice off the bench.

Keeping in mind Matias Laba has fully recovered from a toe injury, the addition of Jackson this past week will pay off in a midfield that already includes Alvaro Rey, who's expected to produce more in his second season with the club.

At the back, expect the Reds to add to a base that already includes the club's top player from a year ago, Steven Caldwell, another piece in the club's quest to check all of its boxes before next season.

"Hopefully, everything is teed up and ready to go so that when dates come along you can start checking the boxes," Bezbatchenko said of the club's swift off-season transformation. "The boxes are being checked."

With the addition of Gilberto and Defoe, the DP box is officially completely filled in.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/13/tfc-set-to-land-tottenham-hotspur-striker-jermain-defoe

But he's poised to complement a much bigger name, someone Leiweke claimed this off-season will be one of the biggest signings in league history.

The Toronto Sun has learned Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe will join Toronto FC next season in what's sure to be the biggest off-season move MLS-wide -- both financially and tactically.

The Reds are believed to be dropping as much as $10 million on a transfer fee to secure the services of a player they'll pay upward of $150,000 per week, numbers that will make Defoe the highest-paid player in MLS history.

It's unclear whether the 31-year-old will join the Reds before next summer's World Cup, but TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko told the Sun last weekend he's working to have both DPs settled in Toronto before next season.

By the end of next week, expect TFC's roster to be -- on paper -- a lock to make the post-season, a prediction Leiweke made two months before the Reds embarked on what will eventually turn out to be the most transformational few weeks in club history.

Combine the additions of Jackson, Gilberto and Defoe with a number of likely veteran signings next week and we might be witnessing the start of an unprecedented turnaround by league standards.

"We promised our fans back in September that this club would make bold moves this off-season and that they should evaluate our progress in January," Bezbatchenko said today in downtown Toronto. "We will continue to work toward delivering on that promise over the next month."

After Defoe is introduced in January, the Reds will sport a championship-caliber striking trio in Gilberto and Bright Dike, who will go from being the club's first-choice No. 9 to a solid choice off the bench.

Keeping in mind Matias Laba has fully recovered from a toe injury, the addition of Jackson this past week will pay off in a midfield that already includes Alvaro Rey, who's expected to produce more in his second season with the club.

At the back, expect the Reds to add to a base that already includes the club's top player from a year ago, Steven Caldwell, another piece in the club's quest to check all of its boxes before next season.

"Hopefully, everything is teed up and ready to go so that when dates come along you can start checking the boxes," Bezbatchenko said of the club's swift off-season transformation. "The boxes are being checked."

With the addition of Gilberto and Defoe, the DP box is officially completely filled in.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/13/tfc-set-to-land-tottenham-hotspur-striker-jermain-defoe

So long and thanks for all the fish.

southpark-dp.jpg

Are we going to replace him in January if he goes though? I think most of us felt we needed an extra striker last January and we never got one, and it cost us to some degree.

We have to surely? Adebayor seems to be completely out of favour and we can't try to go through a season with just a Soldado that isn't quite firing.

Back