• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Manager Sack Watch

I think Martinez is inheriting a better situation at Everton, with one of their strongest squads in years and little expectation, than Moyes at United with one of their weakest squads, massive expectation and the "rooney" dilemma.

Martinez is the right guy for Everton. Both lack ambition. Good news for Spurs if he takes the job. I can see Moyes having issues with the stars at Utd and City will struggle (relatively) so if I am right maybe Spurs can gain from the problems of those around us.

Martinez is undoubtedly a nice guy and he talks a good game but I am not sure how good a football manager he is. Wigan have taken ages to get going each season under him, this makes me wonder whether he has trouble getting his ideas across to players or that he does not have a clear idea of how they wants them to play. If Wigan's 2011-12 season had happened the other way around, he would have been sacked.

Everton need a major overhaul of their squad over the next couple of seasons. I wouldn't let Martinez be in charge of that, but it's their choice. He's going to demand complete control and will get it as Moyes did well. Will have to unearth some seriously better players than he has at Wigan.

Everton need a major overhaul of their squad over the next couple of seasons. I wouldn't let Martinez be in charge of that, but it's their choice. He's going to demand complete control and will get it as Moyes did well. Will have to unearth some seriously better players than he has at Wigan.

Anyone would have their work cut out to better Moyes record in the transfer market at Everton, the only area you could argue he was weak was in signing strikers. I agree with you, if I was Kenwright, I'd be looking to bring someone in to oversee transfers.

Anyone would have their work cut out to better Moyes record in the transfer market at Everton, the only area you could argue he was weak was in signing strikers. I agree with you, if I was Kenwright, I'd be looking to bring someone in to oversee transfers.

I completely disagree. I think Wigan has done very well in the transfer market.

I completely disagree. I think Wigan has done very well in the transfer market.

They've made a profit of a few players, but most of the rest weren't of the required quality. I'd be worried about trusting Martinez with the sole responsibility of building a top half squad.

They've made a profit of a few players, but most of the rest weren't of the required quality. I'd be worried about trusting Martinez with the sole responsibility of building a top half squad.

There's the rub. There is a big difference in enticing a promising player to "park" at Wigan than build a team.

Are there any managers that Everton could realistically get that you would feel confident about having the sole responsibility of building a top half squad?

I think the idea of giving a manager the sole responsibility quite silly anyway, unless it's someone proven over years to be a top class manager for the club there really should be more people involved.

Are there any managers that Everton could realistically get that you would feel confident about having the sole responsibility of building a top half squad?

I think the idea of giving a manager the sole responsibility quite silly anyway, unless it's someone proven over years to be a top class manager for the club there really should be more people involved.

Probably not and I agree with you. It stopped being sensible many, many years ago. There's so much money involved, yet quite a few clubs not only let the manager have complete control, but will allow him to only buy the same players he always buys, from the same agent he always uses. *cough* Mark Hughes, Sam Allardyce, Steve Bruce *cough*

_67873170_20130525_132629.jpg

For the record, I think Martinez is a superb manager, his management at Swansea set them in the style they still play with today and he was the impetus that got them promotion. In a better funded club than Wigan he would have repeated that success.

And I agree with the Stoke fans, Hughes is pants.

I agree with GGYid, I think Martinez is an excellent manager and I hope we speak to him when AVB goes in the hopefully distant future.

The whole 'organise a defence' criticism I feel is a gross simplification of what it takes to manage a football team at the level we are talking. It's about getting a team to play in the system that you want them to. Year on year, he has had to replace key players that he has lost with bargain basement buys, and he managed to keep them up playing one of the most tactically innovative systems in the league. That's an awesome achievement. He didn't go for percentage football, he wanted to do it the right way and with better players he will be awesome IMO. Everyone likes to laugh at Whelan's hyperbole but I don't think he is far wrong with how he talks of Martinez.

So tactically very good, and I don't worry about his niceness either. I think he is pretty demanding in what he expects of his players, but the key thing is if you want them to play the system he uses, they need the confidence to try what it requires. Therefore he radiates positivity because eventually it will click for them. If he was playing percentage football that required blood and thunder throwing themselves into tackles every ten seconds then I suspect he would have laid into his players a bit more, but he knew what he was trying to do and went about it the right way.

You guys saw the cup final right? Regardless of City being poor, Wigan were excellent. Tactically they were superb, they were up for it and they completely took the game to City with no problems with their defence. If we need a new manager in the next few years I hope we are looking at Martinez.

I agree with GGYid, I think Martinez is an excellent manager and I hope we speak to him when AVB goes in the hopefully distant future.

The whole 'organise a defence' criticism I feel is a gross simplification of what it takes to manage a football team at the level we are talking. It's about getting a team to play in the system that you want them to. Year on year, he has had to replace key players that he has lost with bargain basement buys, and he managed to keep them up playing one of the most tactically innovative systems in the league. That's an awesome achievement. He didn't go for percentage football, he wanted to do it the right way and with better players he will be awesome IMO. Everyone likes to laugh at Whelan's hyperbole but I don't think he is far wrong with how he talks of Martinez.

So tactically very good, and I don't worry about his niceness either. I think he is pretty demanding in what he expects of his players, but the key thing is if you want them to play the system he uses, they need the confidence to try what it requires. Therefore he radiates positivity because eventually it will click for them. If he was playing percentage football that required blood and thunder throwing themselves into tackles every ten seconds then I suspect he would have laid into his players a bit more, but he knew what he was trying to do and went about it the right way.

You guys saw the cup final right? Regardless of City being poor, Wigan were excellent. Tactically they were superb, they were up for it and they completely took the game to City with no problems with their defence. If we need a new manager in the next few years I hope we are looking at Martinez.

Nice post. But at the end of the day Wigan blew it and Martinez was to blame. Without the Cup he would have kept them up, perhaps.

Martinez is an enigma. Could be great tactically, cup final and wins at Arse and Man utd last season, but at the same time his win percentage at wigan was 29%, when his teams lost they were often tonked and he finished 2 seasons in row below swansea and norwich. Wasn't sure about him as manager at Spurs, glad he is going to another club first so we can see how that pans out.

i have my doubts about martinez and everton.

the way i see it, the type of quick teamwork based passing football requires a squad with technical ability and skill. so its train from young (which england in general is found lacking) or buy players who are already good at it (expensive).

so while martinez is still an excellent manager in my eyes, i think he will struggle badly at everton at the start. and hopefully they will have the patience to see him implement his thing, right down at the academy level, as everton doesn't really have deep pockets.

the only way out I see is that everton accepts an overhaul of the club and choose to profit handsomely from the the sale of their key players, to buy them talent and time to tide over the revolution, and buy time with the fans.

Hughes confirmed at Stoke, promises to make them more entertaining, he didn't say whether that was to entertain the stoke fans or the rest of the PL.

Back