• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T - Interest in international football

I think it was world cup 2006 which did it for most people. That group were just a bunch a self indulged pre-madonnas - also the wags as well just made everyone realize how spoilt they were. Combined with the fact that we majorly disappointed at that tournament as well. Blame it all on Sven.....

Euro 96 was easily the best tournament -you loved everyone in that team as well.

I think 2006 was the final nail in the coffin for me as well, i had been losing interest for a while but the choice of the four forwards for that competition did it for me. Two unfit players ( Roony, Owen) a bloody giraffe ( Crouch) and a 16 year old kid ( Walcott) did it for me.

I think it was world cup 2006 which did it for most people. That group were just a bunch a self indulged pre-madonnas - also the wags as well just made everyone realize how spoilt they were. Combined with the fact that we majorly disappointed at that tournament as well. Blame it all on Sven.....

Euro 96 was easily the best tournament -you loved everyone in that team as well.

This, in 96 we had a team that played above itself and missed out on the final by the length of Gazzas studs. Ever since then we've had a bunch of c*nts who think that they just have to turn up and they'll win everything, a team that constantly fails to impress, especially in major tournaments and they don't look bothered either way.

The national team has been going through the motions since 1990, or more accurately, since the onset of the Premier League.

Skill levels have gone down at the expense of pace and power.

more likely since foreigners have come in and played better football in the premiership.
if anything the FA is at fault for not having enough caps on foreign talents or promoting English players - of all ages.

more likely since foreigners have come in and played better football in the premiership.
if anything the FA is at fault for not having enough caps on foreign talents or promoting English players - of all ages.

A cap on EU players would be against European law and the Premier League clubs would resist any rule changes that would limit their ability to hoover huge sums of money from every corner of the planet.

Spent my hard earned going to france 98 + portugual 2004, i honestly think i loved england back then but maybe we did spunk a good group of players up the wall.

2006 wasn't great, and sven,in a round-a-bout way looking back, was more of a comedy figure....................what followed was a joke figure, ie McClaren, and it died right there. The same old pattern, excuses repeated tournament after tournament, it became boring, predictable, and disengaging.

That said i love football (in general), so when the euros or world cup came around, i'd be well up for the wall to wall games. BUT even this was tested with S.Africa.(yawn) So much so that the next euros i had no expectations of. Luckily it was a good tournament.

As for England...........the other night when they played San Marino i was doing other stuff at home, i was on the computer doing some work/reading, looked at the clock it was 10.30pm, went on BBC site and it was only then that i realised that England were playing that night..........that is how far detached i am.

Gone are the days of Gazza, Shearer, Sheringham, Scholes, Adams, Seaman, Ince Owen, when it was pretty exciting. Now you have the likes of Milner, Lescott, Cleverley etc who are just average.

Also, the foregin players like Batistuta, Zidane, Crespo, Ronaldo (fat one) Baggio, Zola, Suker I loved these players growing up and now there seems to be more average players and not as many stars (bar Messi and Ronaldo). My love of the international game is slowly dying but I still love the tournaments and I do want England to be there, it makes it more exciting.

The big question is, would you rather England win the World Cup or Spurs win the premier league?

For some reason I would still take England winning the world cup. It would be remembered more throughout the world than the premier league win would be...

Gone are the days of Gazza, Shearer, Sheringham, Scholes, Adams, Seaman, Ince Owen, when it was pretty exciting. Now you have the likes of Milner, Lescott, Cleverley etc who are just average.

Also, the foregin players like Batistuta, Zidane, Crespo, Ronaldo (fat one) Baggio, Zola, Suker I loved these players growing up and now there seems to be more average players and not as many stars (bar Messi and Ronaldo). My love of the international game is slowly dying but I still love the tournaments and I do want England to be there, it makes it more exciting.

The big question is, would you rather England win the World Cup or Spurs win the premier league?

For some reason I would still take England winning the world cup. It would be remembered more throughout the world than the premier league win would be...

Spurs all day long!

In fact, give me the FA cup for Spurs over the World Cup for England.

Also those who say they've stopped following (of whom I include myself), do you follow England in other sports? I still cheer on the English Rugby and Cricket teams with as much passion as ever.

Can't stand Rugby but I do root passionately for the cricket team. Same goes when it comes to the Olympics. What a refreshing change it was seeing athletes that were humble and gracious, as well as being successful!

I think there has been a real swing of opinion since 2010 when we got gubbed by Germany. People are more realistic these days when it comes to England's chances. But where did this sense of arrogance come from that we could just rock up and win tournaments? In my lifetime, we have never been good at keeping the ball, which is essential at international level. No trophy since 1966 and yet our fans still felt we were better than the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, Italy and France who had far better technical players and actually delivered at the big tournaments. Italy have won something like 8 out of 10 semi finals in major tournaments! I was the only kid at school who was realistic, everyone else was convinced we would win everything. I think people have finally realised that the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Beckham etc were all massively overrated either by the media or England fans.

The last time we were good to watch was Euro 96.

One more thing, why does the manager always get the blame for the most part? Of course playing certain players in the correct position is important, but what more can they do if they have nothing but crap to choose from?

I sort of understood when we were round like 5th/6th etc. I mean we've been consistently getting to quarter finals in cup competitions, we've beaten the likes of Spain, Brazil etc in friendlies so I do feel thats justified. But fourth? Come on, when was the last time we even reached a semi finals. I do think we'll do well at the World Cup next year, I think England actually has a bright future, the U21s look a good bunch, play good football and they havent conceded since like 2009 or something. Plus, I don't feel there are many ****s in the youth team (although obviously that can all change) and they all seem to want to play for the country. I think pressure will lift off the country when the "golden generation" players pass on.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

...greece are 12th!!!!......and brazil are 18th.....

Those two are easy to explain.

Greece were European champions in 04 and have continued to do well in qualifiers since. Even if they fail in the final tournament, that's only a couple of losses.

Brazil hasn't really done too well and the South American qualifiers means more losses as you have to play more top sides. Now that they're hosts they're only playing showcase friendlies and maybe aren't getting the best of results.

the rankings are actually a very complicated system. how would anybody change them, out of interest? this has come up before (unsurprisingly).

It takes account of the ability of the opponent, the goal difference, goals scored, goals conceded. It weights results according to whether they were achieved in friendlies, against opponents from a ‘weak’ or ‘strong’ confederation, in a confederation competition or a world cup. It weights results from long ago less than ones more recently. I honestly couldn’t think how it could be done any better?

If you look at the actual number of points, as opposed to the table positions, it makes more sense. we're 436 points behind Spain. If you look 436 points below us in the table, you get to around 33rd place - USA/Algeria. is the difference between england and spain comparable, to say the difference between England and those teams?

of course there are flaws, but as systems go, it's actually a very good one imo.

Millner, Smalling, Cleverly, Lescott, Wellbeck in the England XI, seriously WTF no wonder I dont bother watching this crap anymore

the rankings are actually a very complicated system. how would anybody change them, out of interest? this has come up before (unsurprisingly).

It takes account of the ability of the opponent, the goal difference, goals scored, goals conceded. It weights results according to whether they were achieved in friendlies, against opponents from a ‘weak’ or ‘strong’ confederation, in a confederation competition or a world cup. It weights results from long ago less than ones more recently. I honestly couldn’t think how it could be done any better?

If you look at the actual number of points, as opposed to the table positions, it makes more sense. we're 436 points behind Spain. If you look 436 points below us in the table, you get to around 33rd place - USA/Algeria. is the difference between england and spain comparable, to say the difference between England and those teams?

of course there are flaws, but as systems go, it's actually a very good one imo.

Agree, the ranking system isn't as bad as everyone makes out, yes we seem to be too high but the fact is that we don't lose very often and generally breeze the qualifiers.

If I was to change it I'd give major tournaments a bigger baring on the ranks, that's what really matters and that would bring England down to where we should be which I would say is the bottom end of the top 10.

Back