• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T - Interest in international football

milo

Jack L. Jones
More and more people seem to have lost interest in international football. Can anything be done to reverse this or is it just a poor relation of club football outside of major tournaments?

I said this exact same thing to my brother today whilst talking about possibly attending a Euros tournament. I bluntly said I couldnt be bothered as I dont have the same passion for England as I do for Spurs.
When we played in Brazil '02 and germany '06 I was completely pumped up for it and passionate but something changed after the latter and I couldnt be arsed as much.

Dont really want to get into a politics argument too much here but I believe its linked to me having pride in my country as a state. And in the current state its in I just cant do it....

I watch whoever has the most Spurs players playing. So I will be watching Wales tomorrow night.

I'll put my hand up for this. Though in my case it's due to the major c*nts that play for the country at times and how they seem to be forgiven any indiscretion if they can kick a ball around.

It just gets in the way of Club football. I think i'd be more willing to accept it if they didn't stick friendlies and qualifiers everywhere and just had them All in a clump after the season ended.

I'll sometimes watch, but in the same way i'd watch a Spanish or German league match and hope for it to be an entertaining game.

Bored rigid with International football as a whole at the moment. When I think of tournaments gone by and how hyper I was in Euro 96 like everyone else, and the World Cup 2002 with packed out pubs watching England and Ireland matches, even though some of the kick offs were 7am in the morning. World Cup 2006 still had that buzz but that was the end realy.

Its a combination of many things. Dull, dull, dull managers like McLaren, Capello and Hodgson just wont get the punters excited. Appointing Hodgson will set the country years back. The football for the last 6 or 7 years has been pretty much awful for the most part, and there realy isnt anything about the England team to get excited about at the moment.

Roll on the premiership.

Summer tournaments yes, other than that I really find it hard to cheer for a team that features so many footballers I detest, Terry, Ashley Cole etc. That hit home when ArSol scored against Sweden in 02.

I don't give a brick about how well England do.

But I still love the Euros and the World Cup. I always book at least 1 week off work to watch the games. Even put my foot down and told my mum and sister "we ain't going on holiday during when the Euros is on". The last World Cup was poor, but Euro 2008 and 2012 were fantastic! Euro 08 was actually better for England not being there. I for one will be tuning in next summer in the hope that Messi can finally deliver at an international tournament.

But the qualifiers for the most part are mind numbingly boring.

They need to scrap friendlies and change the European qualifying format. Minnows to play pre qualifiers and preferably do the qualifiers as a mini-tournament at the end of the season in odd years. You can then shorten the club season with a couple of weeks at both ends and have room for a winter break.

I hate International football too and yet it's what first launched my interest in the game back in 1990.

I think the Champions League has something to do with my lack of interest. In the past, it used to be that we'd see many stars less often and mainly in the major tournaments. That exclusituvity led to excitement as you would want to see how selected players performed.

Now that you can watch them on TV, playing for their clubs, and football is so much more everywhere, the excitement is waning. The International Tournaments become less exciting and so consequently, the qualifiers mean a lot less.

They need to scrap friendlies and change the European qualifying format. Minnows to play pre qualifiers and preferably do the qualifiers as a mini-tournament at the end of the season in odd years. You can then shorten the club season with a couple of weeks at both ends and have room for a winter break.

I agree that holding international games at the end of the season, rather than during it might help. I resent international breaks during the season, particularly the one for friendlies in August.

What do people think in terms of overall interest towards the national team, not just Spurs fans? I would bet a lot of people who support lower league teams still love the national team. Tv ratings for England games are still high. But I remember when England games at Wembley always used to sell out, not the case these days.

What do people think in terms of overall interest towards the national team, not just Spurs fans? I would bet a lot of people who support lower league teams still love the national team. Tv ratings for England games are still high. But I remember when England games at Wembley always used to sell out, not the case these days.

The quality of football isn't very good and half the players are w*nkers, I find it very hard to summon any interest in the England team.

My favourite international tournament recently was Euro 2008 when England didn't qualify, I hate the plastics who come out for an international tournament and this one was enjoyably free of them.

The national team has been going through the motions since 1990, or more accurately, since the onset of the Premier League.

Skill levels have gone down at the expense of pace and power.

I haven't had affection for an England team since Hoddle's in 98. Before that our ones in 96 and 90.

I think with the right manager and group of players it could return. But there are no green shoots at all at the moment.

The national team has been going through the motions since 1990, or more accurately, since the onset of the Premier League.

Skill levels have gone down at the expense of pace and power.

Disagree with that - Hoddle couldn't get in the team through the 80s because he wasn't a typical blood and thunder British player.

We still lack technique immensely, but there was never a golden age, or if there was it was prior to the 50s.

The quality of football isn't very good and half the players are w*nkers, I find it very hard to summon any interest in the England team.

My favourite international tournament recently was Euro 2008 when England didn't qualify, I hate the plastics who come out for an international tournament and this one was enjoyably free of them.

Pretty much my feelings on england as well.

There is too much international football for me, I'd like to see them get rid of friendlies to be honest, they dilute everything and breed resentment.

More and more people seem to have lost interest in international football. Can anything be done to reverse this or is it just a poor relation of club football outside of major tournaments?

Since the inception of the premiership and subsequent tv deals have contributed massively to a lack of appetite from the clubs to the players for international football. This filters down to the average fan like myself who dosen't see any passion in the players, when they represent their country.
I wish we had the passion and would generate atmospheres at england games, similar to countries like Croatia when they play. But its just not their anymore.

No interest whatsoever in England anymore, i lost interest during the so called golden generation of Goldenballs, Lampard etc.

Back