• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T How long will it be until a team wins the Premier League playing 4-4-2

milo

Jack L. Jones
How long will it be until a team wins the Premier League playing predominantly 4-4-2 or are its days permanently over for top teams?

Fancy foreign managers have made 451 the flavour of the month for too long now. 442 is the way forward. Look at united since the start of the premiership ffs they've always had 2 strikers. Also I don't buy that 'times have changed' Walob.

AVB get us back to 442 quickly ffs instead of so stubbornly refusing cos your making the same mistake you made at Chelsea which is not realising your mistakes in the first place!!

Fancy foreign managers have made 451 the flavour of the month for too long now. 442 is the way forward. Look at united since the start of the premiership ffs they've always had 2 strikers. Also I don't buy that 'times have changed' Walob.

AVB get us back to 442 quickly ffs instead of so stubbornly refusing cos your making the same mistake you made at Chelsea which is not realising your mistakes in the first place!!

United don't really play 4-4-2 though, Rooney drops deep and plays more of an AM role these days.

I love 442. Manure play 442 although Rooney does drop deep to maybe making it a 4411 which is still a 442 as far as im concerned. Fergie hasnt really swayed from those tactics too much and has always played 442 - unless im mistaken. You have Chelscum and man bricky playing other tactics but they have the players and have spent a brickload to make it that way. I think ultimately play the system that fits the players at your disposal UNTIL you have players at your disposal that fits the system you want. 442 suits our players - Bale, Lennon, Ade, Defoe, Dembele, Sandro/Parker. I think that would be brilliant.

What is more important is playing with 11 players not 10 or 9 (not going there though).

Yeah latterly. I'm talking when they dominated the lot they played 442. Yorke and Cole, Teddy etc..??

442 is the most successful tactic ever. Fact. Don't fudge with it.

Didnt someone say football is a simple game made complicated? It is a simple game. 442 pass move.

Don't think it will ever happen in an old school 4-4-2 with two traditional wingers, as matching the numbers in the middle are crucial to control games.

Might work in a 4-4-2 like the one Redknapp used with Kranjcar and Modric as playmakers cutting in from the left. Think it also might be possible to make it work in a 4-4-2 diamond formation without wingers, where the width is provided by the full backs.

Not to say that you can't use a 4-4-2 against lesser teams, but when facing quality opposition you'll get overrun in the middle, if you don't match their numbers.

I love 442. Manure play 442 although Rooney does drop deep to maybe making it a 4411 which is still a 442 as far as im concerned. Fergie hasnt really swayed from those tactics too much and has always played 442 - unless im mistaken. You have Chelscum and man bricky playing other tactics but they have the players and have spent a brickload to make it that way. I think ultimately play the system that fits the players at your disposal UNTIL you have players at your disposal that fits the system you want. 442 suits our players - Bale, Lennon, Ade, Defoe, Dembele, Sandro/Parker. I think that would be brilliant.

What is more important is playing with 11 players not 10 or 9 (not going there though).

That's funny because I'm sure I remember you moaning last season that VDV and Ade was 451.

That's funny because I'm sure I remember you moaning last season that VDV and Ade was 451.

Well unfortunately it seemed that way as VDV never stayed in his position - which I pointed out in the VDV thread and thats why I wasnt too bothered for him to go (as much as I loved his passion).

Rooney on the other hand tends to be in between the midfield and RVP - Rooney is more disciplined in that role so it is a 442/4411.

Don't think it will ever happen in an old school 4-4-2 with two traditional wingers, as matching the numbers in the middle are crucial to control games.

Might work in a 4-4-2 like the one Redknapp used with Kranjcar and Modric as playmakers cutting in from the left. Think it also might be possible to make it work in a 4-4-2 diamond formation without wingers, where the width is provided by the full backs.

Not to say that you can't use a 4-4-2 against lesser teams, but when facing quality opposition you'll get overrun in the middle, if you don't match their numbers.

Plenty of teams have played 4-4-2 with right and/or left midfielder as opposed to wingers.

4-4-2 was the dominant formation between the mid 60s and late 90s.

3-3-4/2-3-5 was dominant from about the late 20s to the mid 60s.

That's a 35 year lifespan for a dominant formation.

Since 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 is still really in its first decade, my answer to the original question is at least 2035.

4-4-2 was the dominant formation between the mid 60s and late 90s.

3-3-4/2-3-5 was dominant from about the late 20s to the mid 60s.

That's a 35 year lifespan for a dominant formation.

Since 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 is still really in its first decade, my answer to the original question is at least 2035.

Even though a team did it in 2011?

Plenty of teams have played 4-4-2 with right and/or left midfielder as opposed to wingers.

I guess this thread was started as a reaction to AVB refusing to play 4-4-2. With Lennon and Bale it would always be a very open 4-4-2 with to wide wingers. This formation would be punished against some of the better teams. However against teams like Wigan at home, we should definately be more versatile, when it's quite obvious that the 4-4-1-1 clearly didn't work.

I just don't buy into the "just stick to 4-4-2". It's a system that has it's advantages, but definately also it weaknesses. Although I think football was more entertaining back in the 90's, when most teams played 4-4-2.

What do the 442 fundamentalists mean by 4-4-2? It's success has been that it is flexible and has many variations. The most famous English version was hardly 4-4-2 with two wingers.

Why are the 442 fundamentalists so offended by anyone playing any other 'fancy' formation?

Because at the moment our personnel suits 442.

Why are so many people hell bent on a formation that at present, with the current crop of players we have at our disposal, is brick?

I guess this thread was started as a reaction to AVB refusing to play 4-4-2. With Lennon and Bale it would always be a very open 4-4-2 with to wide wingers. This formation would be punished against some of the better teams. However against teams like Wigan at home, we should definately be more versatile, when it's quite obvious that the 4-4-1-1 clearly didn't work.

I just don't buy into the "just stick to 4-4-2". It's a system that has it's advantages, but definately also it weaknesses. Although I think football was more entertaining back in the 90's, when most teams played 4-4-2.

Which is exactly what happened 10 times in a row last spring when we tried it. When Redknapp reactivated his 4-4-2 habit after we beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we pulled our pants down for teams week after week by going a man short in midfield. It cost us CL and it cost Redknapp his job.

Why are the 442 fundamentalists so offended by anyone playing any other 'fancy' formation?

80s nostalgia.

4-4-2. Simple game. Run about a bit. Tactics are for Champ Man geeks. Ketchup and chips pre-match meal. Defoe can be anonomous for 89 minutes so long as he toes one in. Fancy dan foreigners - no good for rainy Tuesday nights at Grimsby...

It was started because I frequently see people post on here that 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and other variants are progressive and forward looking.

I was interested in how many people thought this and whether people thought that the current trend is here to stay or a passing fad. Will its weaknesses be exposed and teams revert to 4-4-2.

Back