• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Sh1t, We're Tense..

raboner

Banned
http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/football/2013/04/201349105457413912.html

Tottenham Hotspur forward Clint Dempsey says there has been a tense atmosphere at the Premier League club in recent weeks as they pursue a top four spot and a chance to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Spurs have been in the hunt for third place all season but lost twice in March and drew against Everton on Sunday to drop to fourth, with fifth-placed Arsenal now breathing down their neck just two points behind.

"It's been tense. I've felt like that's kind of what the atmosphere's been. That's the way it's been the last few games," Dempsey was quoted as saying in British media on Tuesday.

"It's been noticeable in the last three home games," the American said.

"Who's to say the reason why? Maybe a few injuries, maybe a lot of games. It makes it more interesting for people to watch. It's a little bit more stressful but it's a good stress."

There was welcome injury news for Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas on Monday, however, when central defender Younes Kaboul, out with a knee injury since the first game of the season in August, completed an hour for the under-21s.

Dempsey said Tottenham's position was preferable to battling relegation or having nothing to play for by being stuck in mid-table.

"At least we're pushing to try to get that (Champions League) spot. Hopefully we have enough character to get the job done.

"I thought the boys showed a lot of character to fight back and get a point against Everton. It's an important point. You would have like to have got three but at least we fought back.

"We have the quality. It's about being confident. It will be difficult all the way until the end of the season."

Tottenham's next game is a Europa League quarter-final second leg tie away to Swiss club Basel on Thursday, the first leg was a 2-2 draw, before they take on second-placed Emirates Marketing Project in the league on April 21.

No it doesn't make it more interesting Clint, it fudges with my heart and strips years from my life!

So it's not just in our minds, the players are feeling the pinch and we're probably going to crumble under the pressure of expectation and choke. Yay! 8-[

My question to you, how do we overcome this dreaded, seemingly tense atmosphere that emerges at our beloved club towards the end of most seasons?

I'm over it.

Re: No brick, We're Tense..

It's tense because Clint Dempsey spends cannot control a football and insists on embarrassing himself with shots from outside the box when even one of his misplaced or backward passes would have been a better option.

The tense atmosphere in the ground and even among the players is just something that will be there, not something that can easily be overcome.

We can only hope that our management team and our more experienced players can deal with it. We have quite a few players with some very good experience from other clubs and their national sides even among the players brought in last summer. In addition to that we have some experienced players that have been at the club a bit longer than that.

While most of you get on the defensive about what he has said and turn it back on to him - I realise what he is getting at. For a while now it's been White Hart Morgue. Turn that Morgue into something that gets tense and it will have an effect on the players. Supporters have to be supporters and get right behind the team. Most of the time, the supporters think the likes of a Fulham coming to the lane is a guaranteed 3 points, I bet the players think the same. Yet when it doesnt go according to plan the quiet fans start to make all the wrong noises. Players have to take some responsibility but so do the fans. I'm most impressed by the Away support, we have one of the best, but the home support (with the away excluded) are too busy making grumbling noises while muching on their prawn sandwiches to truly get behind the team when its needed. It will happen against City though wont it, that because its a game that we need support for.

You are right Wriggly but its hard to sing at WHL now. I used to sing all the time (albeit in the family stand) but people just go and talk now, and the only shouting they do is when its going wrong.

Its really hard to get going again, the only games that are any good are Ar5enal, Utd, West Ham, and sometimes then they are quiet.

That's the thing.. I think a lot of the tension is generated by the crowd.. Think we can be a big help when it comes to relieving some of the unease that is surrounding the entire club at the moment..

I didn't see the Everton game but heard the commentator ask AVB about the crowd and how they really rallied around the team. Was that true?

While most of you get on the defensive about what he has said and turn it back on to him - I realise what he is getting at. For a while now it's been White Hart Morgue. Turn that Morgue into something that gets tense and it will have an effect on the players. Supporters have to be supporters and get right behind the team. Most of the time, the supporters think the likes of a Fulham coming to the lane is a guaranteed 3 points, I bet the players think the same. Yet when it doesnt go according to plan the quiet fans start to make all the wrong noises. Players have to take some responsibility but so do the fans. I'm most impressed by the Away support, we have one of the best, but the home support (with the away excluded) are too busy making grumbling noises while muching on their prawn sandwiches to truly get behind the team when its needed. It will happen against City though wont it, that because its a game that we need support for.

Ahhh the old get behind the team routine! Of course that's what the problem has been all along. What utter bollox!
So the team (who have been carried along since January by Bale's goals) will perform better if we sing more?
So Emirates Marketing Project fans influenced their first premiership title win? Nothing to do with the fact that they now have better players than they have ever had?

Ahhh the old get behind the team routine! Of course that's what the problem has been all along. What utter bollox!
So the team (who have been carried along since January by Bale's goals) will perform better if we sing more?
So Emirates Marketing Project fans influenced their first premiership title win? Nothing to do with the fact that they now have better players than they have ever had?

I think you quoted and replied to the wrong post there mate.

Erm.

Yes. That's a pretty simple concept. If the crowd is more supportive then the players will feel supported. If the crowd spend all game booing or silent, the players will wonder what the point is.

Simple question:

You are at work and the guy next to you spends all his time insulting you.

You are at work and the guy next to you is nice and supportive of you.

Which situation do you think you would work better?

Last edited:

I have a couple that started sitting near me this season and during the Everton game we all got frustrated when we picked a pass sideways or back to build play, yet he continually shouted backwards, backwards, sideways to every pass, and proceeded to call every one of our players a clown shoe, and then left after 73 minutes! Ridiculous

Erm.

Yes. That's a pretty simple concept. If the crowd is more supportive then the players will feel supported. If the crowd spend all game booing or silent, the players will wonder what the point is.

Simple question:

You are at work and the guy next to you spends all his time insulting you.

You are at work and the guy next to you is nice and supportive of you.

Which situation do you think you would work better?

Third option: The guy next to you is concentrating intently so is quiet.

To both you and tommysvr, I've picked up over the seasons that when there's a big game that's finely balanced and gripping is when the crowd is often quietest, I guess it's a human reaction when people are concentrating intently, perhaps the Lane has been quieter of the last few seasons because we're getting better meaning that when we're playing for higher stakes more frequently we as fans concentrate more intently.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well but I hope you get my gist.

Third option: The guy next to you is concentrating intently so is quiet.

To both you and tommysvr, I've picked up over the seasons that when there's a big game that's finely balanced and gripping is when the crowd is often quietest, I guess it's a human reaction when people are concentrating intently, perhaps the Lane has been quieter of the last few seasons because we're getting better meaning that when we're playing for higher stakes more frequently we as fans concentrate more intently.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well but I hope you get my gist.

That is a fair point. Though i would still think support would offer more help than concentration.

sounds like the office I share with 2 colleagues, and it works a treat, we have a great working relationship

Sure, but you know your colleagues. If it was a guy you didn't know it would be an entirely different concept. If it was 20-30 thousand of them? :p

The Lane has been brick for a few seasons now.

Does this seem to have come since Jol went? Place seemed to be rocking before then?

I'm probably wrong as I haven't managed to get to game in years since moving to Oz.

Back