• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Flash on Android - what does this now mean techheads?

Not at all

But as a techie I can see through the flimflam that he peddled to the layman

Apple have never made a single decision for the good of everyone else

Oh yeah the iPhone has been a major setback to humans.

You're so dramatic, all because you hate Apple / Steve Jobs.

Oh and I have an android phone as well. There was a time when practically none of those sites would function properly.

Just because they work now, they might not 5 years ago. Work has been done to make sure it works with android as well as iPhone.

Out of curiosity, people discussing this: what do you do for a living? I'm a front end web developer, the Flash 'controversy' first started whilst I was at Uni developing countless Flash websites and applications and I was absolutely delighted that Apple didn't want to use it.

Just not in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011

:lol:

07 and 08 maybe.

With Jobs it was all about customer experience. As a developer who has worked in the industry, I've had to work with apple.

They were hard work. Sign loads of confidentiality agreements, secret code words for everything and it's their way or nothing. Unbelievable when you consider who benefits more (handsets get bought for a lot and then mobile companies have to take a big loss and only earn profit in the last few months of a contract).

But the one thing you can't accuse Jobs of is doing nothing for the customer. He got so involved with the project I was on he was dialling into Conf calls, because he was so concerned about poor customer experience being linked with his company. I'm reasonably sure they took the decision to improve customer experience rather than any benefit apple would get.

well who wants flash plugin for a browser on a webpage on their mobile anyway? not apple, partly (at the time) because pretty much everything they have since sold as an "app" they could have done, in the browser, in flash. and now it would be foolish anyway, because the app market does work, and people have bought into it. and of course, it runs a lot less buggy than apps anyway, by virtue of the fact its a plugin running it, from within another app (the browser)

will it upset you to learn that a lot of games and apps etc are still flash, programmed entirely in flash, but output to play on a mobile device (apple AND android), but using Air? for which the development and support is ongoing. flash isn't dead, and it's not going to dissapear overnight, but the browser plugin for mobile development, pretty much is.

yes flash is brick for building webPAGES in, but there is a fudgeload more to the web than webpages. there's plenty of room in cyberspace for both to stick around, and tbh, flash is still a pretty good package to put together something pretty quickly.

The very reasons he has a Korean 'alternative' today.

I don't own any device made in Korea

Most of mine are made in Taiwan (PS3, Nexus 7)

Out of interest, do you know where Apple products are made?

I'll give you a clue (the country has been mentioned in this post)

Last edited:
07 and 08 maybe.

With Jobs it was all about customer experience. As a developer who has worked in the industry, I've had to work with apple.

They were hard work. Sign loads of confidentiality agreements, secret code words for everything and it's their way or nothing. Unbelievable when you consider who benefits more (handsets get bought for a lot and then mobile companies have to take a big loss and only earn profit in the last few months of a contract).

But the one thing you can't accuse Jobs of is doing nothing for the customer. He got so involved with the project I was on he was dialling into Conf calls, because he was so concerned about poor customer experience being linked with his company. I'm reasonably sure they took the decision to improve customer experience rather than any benefit apple would get.

He did like to spout brick, or FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) as we call it in the industry

How many 7" tablets do you think tech companies will sell in the next couple of years?

Millions is the answer. Possibly hundreds of millions.

But according to Jobs a 7" tablet was impossible. He did the research and categorically stated that the iPad was the MINIMUM acceptable size.

I wonder how many 7" tablets Apple will sell in the next year.....hmmmm, let me think :-k

Last edited:
Well I have had Jelly Bean for a few weeks now and all I can say is I hate it. Battery life's been brick, phone's been slow, but I have to wait 10 months for an upgrade. I really do not want to uninstall Flash as that was one of the main reasons I bought an Android, but for all it's worth I might just have to if it makes my phone better.

What phone do you have? How old is it?

You do realise you can install any version of Android you like?

If your hardware is old, why not rollback to gingerbread?

Jellybean runs smoother and faster than any other mobile o/s in the world on modern hardware

Well I have had Jelly Bean for a few weeks now and all I can say is I hate it. Battery life's been brick, phone's been slow, but I have to wait 10 months for an upgrade. I really do not want to uninstall Flash as that was one of the main reasons I bought an Android, but for all it's worth I might just have to if it makes my phone better.

Also, if you click on Battery, it will tell you what is draining it

Have you checked?

Is it the display brightness perhaps?

Yes, it's mainly the screen it says but the battery was definitely got worse. FYI my phone is a Nexus S so obviously the hardware was not built for the software. I don't really want to go back to an old version as I'd rather Google just make it better. I can live with this, but it's not great.

Battery life is like any other smartphone. Turn the brightness down and turn off 3G when it's not needed and your phone battery will last days.

Took my phone on holiday Desire S and turned the 3G off and brightness to 70% and didn't need to charge it for 3 days.

Battery life is like any other smartphone. Turn the brightness down and turn off 3G when it's not needed and your phone battery will last days.

Took my phone on holiday Desire S and turned the 3G off and brightness to 70% and didn't need to charge it for 3 days.

I like my 3G and brightness, thank you very much. The battery was definitely better before it upgraded to Jelly Bean, so it must be the new firmware.

I like my 3G and brightness, thank you very much. The battery was definitely better before it upgraded to Jelly Bean, so it must be the new firmware.

Could well be

I highly recommend you root it and install a custom ROM

You're on fairly old hardware so getting all the stock crap off of it will really help

I still use an HTC Desire (the original one from 3 years ago!!) and have a custom ROM

Considering how old my handset is, Android is very very fast, looks great and battery lasts a full day

Could well be

I highly recommend you root it and install a custom ROM

You're on fairly old hardware so getting all the stock crap off of it will really help

I still use an HTC Desire (the original one from 3 years ago!!) and have a custom ROM

Considering how old my handset is, Android is very very fast, looks great and battery lasts a full day

Last time I tried a custom ROM, I fudged my whole phone up, not going down that road again. I trust Google more than these people who make custom ROMs and if Google do brick then they have to pay for it, whereas rooting my phone makes everything my fault.

That's like complaining about petrol but like putting your foot down.

I have reduced my brightness by 15% and hardly notice the difference. Also 3G being active 24/7 has little benefit. Turn it on when you need it.

SIMPLE ;)

Last time I tried a custom ROM, I fudged my whole phone up, not going down that road again. I trust Google more than these people who make custom ROMs and if Google do brick then they have to pay for it, whereas rooting my phone makes everything my fault.

Do you use apps?

Back