• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Flash on Android - what does this now mean techheads?

He was right about open technology. What do you need to write HTML? Notepad. What do you need to make something in Flash? The whole bloody program.

I'm sorry, but anyone who builds a website in Flash is not a web developer. That should have died in the early 2000s with tables.

:ross:

irony.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Yeah, it is ironic and hypocritical considering the App Store and everything, however, this was definitely for the good of the web.

I genuinely don't think you actually care about Flash, it's just because it was Apple who first cut it (just like the floppy, the CD Rom) and you are obviously not a fan of Apple. So yeah, I agree with Arc in that I'm wasting my time.

Southstand I thought you were involved in IT and a bit of a techy. If so you are the only one I've ever come across that defends flash.

Surely Jobs stopping flash on mobiles years ago is backed up by this android decision. Mobiles are more powerful and advanced now, and they are still making this choice, it's because it performs poorly - it doesn't matter if 99% of the web is flash, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Jobs knew this, android now accept this, therefore it is down to each individual website to make a decision - do we want our site to be mobile compatible. If the answer is yes then you use technology that is compatible. Most companies develop mobile versions of their site, it's nothing new having to adapt to mobile browsing.

Err I think you're all putting words in my mouth

I have NEVER defended flash

HTML5 is the FUTURE (the long distance future back in 2007/8)

But future is the operative word

Flash has served the web very well indeed

I am not a flash developer. I have never built anything in flash. I don't know anybody that has either.

But even the most die hard Apple fan should be able to work out my point

EDIT: You know what really fudges me off about this forum, more than anything else

That I cannot write the number eight and a bracket, without the fudging software converting it into a tinkling smiley face

](*,)

Err I think you're all putting words in my mouth

I have NEVER defended flash

HTML5 is the FUTURE (the long distance future back in 2007/8)

But future is the operative word

Flash has served the web very well indeed

I am not a flash developer. I have never built anything in flash. I don't know anybody that has either.

But even the most die hard Apple fan should be able to work out my point

EDIT: You know what really fudges me off about this forum, more than anything else

That I cannot write the number eight and a bracket, without the fudging software converting it into a tinkling smiley face

](*,)

So it is just anti-Apple then?

8)

No, just pointing out a fudging imbecilic decision by an Apple executive

You shouldn't have to love or hate Apple to pull them up when they do stupid things

fudge me, how many billions of videos were served up on YouTube in Flash?

We all know HTML5 is the future

But we're talking about a decision made 5 years ago

Clearly he was ahead of his time :)

No, he was at times, an arrogant fudgewit, that couldn't give a brick about his customers

Flash is still all around us, 5 years on

Earlier I watched a video on Vertonghen on the Telegraph website - Delivered via flash

I've been betting on PaddyPower and watching live streams - Delivered via flash

I've been listening to music for free on YouTube - Delivered via flash

The websites I've mentioned have vast armies of developers. We're not talking about random websites clinging on to old technology

It was a retarded decision to make back then

Sorry when I say defend flash I mean they have always maintained apple should include it. You are defending their side.

But it doesn't work. Why on earth would you include something that doesn't work. It would just have given apple a bad name when the iPhone crashes.

Your point just seems to be because the web has so much flash, apple should include it. It's never going to work properly no matter how many sites use it.

I don't see anything other than common sense required to understand and agree with Jobs decision.

It is down to each website to think about whether they want mobile users.

The fact apple made this decision has forced many to use html5. If they had tried to use flash we wouldn't be as advanced as we are now

Sorry when I say defend flash I mean they have always maintained apple should include it. You are defending their side.

But it doesn't work. Why on earth would you include something that doesn't work. It would just have given apple a bad name when the iPhone crashes.

Your point just seems to be because the web has so much flash, apple should include it. It's never going to work properly no matter how many sites use it.

I don't see anything other than common sense required to understand and agree with Jobs decision.

It is down to each website to think about whether they want mobile users.

The fact apple made this decision has forced many to use html5. If they had tried to use flash we wouldn't be as advanced as we are now

Ok mate

So the Telegraph website doesn't work

PaddyPower doesn't work

BBC iPlayer doesn't work

YouTube is a pile of brick

Nobody on here watches football streams via flash - they don't work either

YouTube and any other big site uses h.264 for their videos these days. This would not have happened if Apple didn't stand up and say Flash isn't good enough. Apple's decision was brave and ultimately has been proved right.

I'm able to watch quite a bit of BBC video on my iPad. Not all, but they're obviously changing. Additionally, there is a stand alone App for iPlayer, which is much better than a website.

Football streams using Flash? Your battery would be dead before the match ended anyway.

YouTube and any other big site uses h.264 for their videos these days. This would not have happened if Apple didn't stand up and say Flash isn't good enough. Apple's decision was brave and ultimately has been proved right.

Football streams using Flash? Your battery would be dead before the match ended anyway.

I give up

Most Youtube videos are STILL delivered via flash, TODAY (2012)

I give up

Most Youtube videos are STILL delivered via flash, TODAY (2012)

Only in a browser. Behind the scenes every video is available using h.264. There's a browser addon for Safari and probably Chrome called Click to Flash. Download it and go to YouTube. You'll be able to watch all the same videos.

Ok mate

So the Telegraph website doesn't work

PaddyPower doesn't work

BBC iPlayer doesn't work

YouTube is a pile of brick

Nobody on here watches football streams via flash - they don't work either

Yes but apple saw it as an all or nothing situation. Those sites work, plenty don't. Why do you think android made the decision?

Of course some will work, but apple and android can't test every website in the world and then enable it just for those that work.

And because of apples decision, I can now view everything you listed above on my iPhone. I watch live footy, I watch live streams of horse races on my ladbrokes account. I have BBC I player and can watch news website videos. All reliably with no issue.

Not at all

But as a techie I can see through the flimflam that he peddled to the layman

Apple have never made a single decision for the good of everyone else

Yes but apple saw it as an all or nothing situation. Those sites work, plenty don't. Why do you think android made the decision?

Of course some will work, but apple and android can't test every website in the world and then enable it just for those that work.

And because of apples decision, I can now view everything you listed above on my iPhone. I watch live footy, I watch live streams of horse races on my ladbrokes account. I have BBC I player and can watch news website videos. All reliably with no issue.

Just not in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011

:lol:

Back