• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Flash on Android - what does this now mean techheads?

Last time I tried a custom ROM, I fudged my whole phone up, not going down that road again. I trust Google more than these people who make custom ROMs and if Google do brick then they have to pay for it, whereas rooting my phone makes everything my fault.

Always do lots of research, but I highly recommend CyanogenMod

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

This is very stable, and very reputable. It's arguably better than the stock install.

That's like complaining about petrol but like putting your foot down.

I have reduced my brightness by 15% and hardly notice the difference. Also 3G being active 24/7 has little benefit. Turn it on when you need it.

SIMPLE ;)

I like to keep in sync with Facebook, Twitter and email.

Do you use apps?

A little bit, and I try to close them once I'm done with them.

well who wants flash plugin for a browser on a webpage on their mobile anyway? not apple, partly (at the time) because pretty much everything they have since sold as an "app" they could have done, in the browser, in flash. and now it would be foolish anyway, because the app market does work, and people have bought into it. and of course, it runs a lot less buggy than apps anyway, by virtue of the fact its a plugin running it, from within another app (the browser)

will it upset you to learn that a lot of games and apps etc are still flash, programmed entirely in flash, but output to play on a mobile device (apple AND android), but using Air? for which the development and support is ongoing. flash isn't dead, and it's not going to dissapear overnight, but the browser plugin for mobile development, pretty much is.

yes flash is brick for building webPAGES in, but there is a fudgeload more to the web than webpages. there's plenty of room in cyberspace for both to stick around, and tbh, flash is still a pretty good package to put together something pretty quickly.

=D>

Yes, it's mainly the screen it says but the battery was definitely got worse. FYI my phone is a Nexus S so obviously the hardware was not built for the software. I don't really want to go back to an old version as I'd rather Google just make it better. I can live with this, but it's not great.

I've got a nexus s. Did you turn off the faffy animated wallpaper? That basically triples your battery life

Not much point having a lovely glossy HD screen if you have to turn the brightness down and not use half its power

There were always questions about how suited this case was to a jury decision given the complexity; it can be appealed but the president this sets is horrific for the technology and sofrware industries, regardless of whether you're a 'fan' of Apple, Samsung or anyone else, imo.

In the short term its a huge win for apple but it is going to kill swift innovation in the long term.

Jobs in 1996 (quoting Picasso) : "all good artists steal, the great ones are those of us who do it without subtlety and unashamedly"

Apple in 2012 are glad that the court has decided stealing is wrong...

Software and hardware both just got a hell of a lot more expensive to produce and it will ripple right through the industry and the cost will be levied on us as consumers. Even if no company tries to copy anyone else, these huge lawsuits and associated costs have to be factored into future handset costs, even apples as there are plenty legitimate cases waiting against them too.

The only correct decision was to throw out all these ridiculous claims to own the most simplistic of features and make the entire patent system more sensible because all those features apple recently 'borrowed' from Android and windows phone will become fair game now.

Just sad that it's come to this, imagine how much it would have crippled the pc, tv or audio industries if someone had taken this approach when they started, hell, if Ericsson, nokia or Motorola had done the same in the 90s to the phone industry it would never have evolved beyond local calls.

Apples argument is that they invested millions into research and development to allow these phones to happen, fair enough but there are dozens of companies who invested billions to produce the technology and infrastructure that allowed the iphone to come along in the first place, those companies are now forced to licence that technology as frand patents and are the same ones apple is suing. Ridiculous that that's a situation that can be allowed to develop.

Patent n

The exclusive right granted to the inventor to make make, use, and sell an invention for a set period of time.

iPatent n

The exclusive right granted to the litigious to make make, use, and sell a stolen invention for a set period of time.

I'm an Apple guy but I agree it's a pretty crazy decision. Sets a very dangerous precedent and would have been much better if they'd just settled out of court.

However, no one can deny just how much Samsung did mimick the iPhone.

I'm an Apple guy but I agree it's a pretty crazy decision. Sets a very dangerous precedent and would have been much better if they'd just settled out of court.

However, no one can deny just how much Samsung did mimick the iPhone.

The main thing that mimicked the iphone was the move away from stylus to capacitive touchscreen though, in terms of ui android borrowed more heavily from windows mobile or whatever LGs old software was called with a home screen full of widgets and shortcuts,then a separate app launcher with a grid of all installed apps.

The other massive influence from apple was the gesture navigation but the reason that Apple got their first was they were the first to afford to be able to use capacitive screens. Multi touch is all very elegant but it was natural progression along with the move from the stylus, the gestures themselves were already used in medical, and design and engineering software.

Samsung deserved a fine for the original galaxy S's physical design as despite how hard it is to differentiate a black rectangle that one did just take the tinkle but ui and features? If this had happened between Sony and nokia half of the tech we currently have for smartphones would never have been evolved from their original guises on feature phones.

just hope that a high court makes a more sounds and sweeping decision regarding patents.

The thing that screwed Samsung was their internal design report on one of their prototypes which was littered with next step suggestions to "make this feature more like the iPhone"

also didn't help that when one of the Samsung lawyers picked up an example phone to showcase Samsung innovations the judge pointed out he was actually holding an iPhone

the whole "how can you patent a device with rounded corners" argument is a massive simplication of what's at stake, hundreds of companies around the world manage to innovate around a metal box with 4 wheels and an engine without ripping each other off and mud slinging in court, this will force other CE companies to come up with new things that will in turn keep apple hard at it

Surely going to help Microsoft alliance more than anyone, as android becomes more expensive and windows phone matures the oems are likely to throw their hardware and resources at that instead and with Microsofts patent portfolio backing them they won't have these worries.

Plus MS and Apple have cross licenses their respective patenets as long as the high level UI stuff remains different

A rectangle with curved corners violates Apple's patents? What happened to the unique features and iconic design that make Apple products so special? Surely people can tell the difference.

Back