• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

The Sun

Tottenham’s four-man shortlist to replace Pochettino includes Nagelsmann, Howe, Mourinho and Ancelotti

• 19 Nov 2019, 7:56
  • Updated: 19 Nov 2019, 8:36
TOTTENHAM are considering a move for RB Leipzig's highly-rated coach Julian Nagelsmann if Mauricio Pochettino receives the axe, according to reports.

Bournemouth's Eddie Howe and current Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti are also on chairman Daniel Levy's shortlist.

Despite guiding Spurs to the Champions League final last season, Pochettino is under serious pressure following a difficult start to the season.

The 47-year-old has overseen just 25 points from the last 24 matches and they currently sit 14th in the Premier League.

There are also rumours of a rift with Levy over a lack of transfer activity in the summer.

The only thing stopping Levy from sacking Pochettino after over five years in charge is the £12.5million payout he'll have to fork out in compensation.

But according to the Times, a contingency plan is already in place and at the top of their shortlist is Nagelsmann.

The 32-year-old German worked wonders with Hoffenheim before taking over as Leipzig coach where they currently sit second in the Bundesliga.

He jumped into management with Hoffenheim aged just 28, ensured survival and then qualified for the Champions League the following season.

Nagelsmann also fits the managerial requirements that Levy prefers as a young, talented coach with a new and exciting philosophy.

Howe could also be in the running and despite staying loyal to Bournemouth since 2012, the 41-year-old would find the challenge of managing Spurs too difficult to resist.

Ancelotti boasts an incredible CV including from his time at Chelsea when he won the Premier League and FA Cup in 2010.

Jose Mourinho is also believed to be one of the candidates on the shortlist.

The Portuguese has been without a job since leaving Manchester United almost a year ago and is thought to be holding out for the north London job.

Nagelsmann is very exciting, and I can see him fitting a Poch shaped hole if we are to look for a similar sort of coach. My question is whether or not thats what we will look for - or will be after someone more "next level"? I also wonder how keen Nagelsmann would be to leave Leipzig so soon after joining.

Howe is just a flat no for me. Or, more specifically, "not yet". He needs to show some consistency and resilience with Bournemouth, he needs to show they can actually defend and be hard to beat before he is ready for a step up to a club like ours.

Ancelotti would be very welcome, and Im sure would be a popular choice. A successful and experienced manager, apparently good guy, I think people would be on board with.

Mourinho - for me I cant see past us going for him if it comes to Poch leaving. Whether thats the right move or not is up for debate, but I fully expect us to look to him as a first choice to be honest.

Howe could be on the shortlist.

Let's hope it's just the papers bigging up an English manager and not Spurs actually considering him.

Ancelotti and Mourinho should get no more than a two and half year deal as both are short term managers.

The Sun

Tottenham’s four-man shortlist to replace Pochettino includes Nagelsmann, Howe, Mourinho and Ancelotti

TOTTENHAM are considering a move for RB Leipzig's highly-rated coach Julian Nagelsmann if Mauricio Pochettino receives the axe, according to reports.

Bournemouth's Eddie Howe and current Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti are also on chairman Daniel Levy's shortlist.

Despite guiding Spurs to the Champions League final last season, Pochettino is under serious pressure following a difficult start to the season.

The 47-year-old has overseen just 25 points from the last 24 matches and they currently sit 14th in the Premier League.

There are also rumours of a rift with Levy over a lack of transfer activity in the summer.

The only thing stopping Levy from sacking Pochettino after over five years in charge is the £12.5million payout he'll have to fork out in compensation.

But according to the Times, a contingency plan is already in place and at the top of their shortlist is Nagelsmann.

The 32-year-old German worked wonders with Hoffenheim before taking over as Leipzig coach where they currently sit second in the Bundesliga.

He jumped into management with Hoffenheim aged just 28, ensured survival and then qualified for the Champions League the following season.

Nagelsmann also fits the managerial requirements that Levy prefers as a young, talented coach with a new and exciting philosophy.

Howe could also be in the running and despite staying loyal to Bournemouth since 2012, the 41-year-old would find the challenge of managing Spurs too difficult to resist.

Ancelotti boasts an incredible CV including from his time at Chelsea when he won the Premier League and FA Cup in 2010.

The Portuguese has been without a job since leaving Manchester United almost a year ago and is thought to be holding out for the north London job.

Nagelsmann is very exciting, and I can see him fitting a Poch shaped hole if we are to look for a similar sort of coach. My question is whether or not thats what we will look for - or will be after someone more "next level"? I also wonder how keen Nagelsmann would be to leave Leipzig so soon after joining.

Howe is just a flat no for me. Or, more specifically, "not yet". He needs to show some consistency and resilience with Bournemouth, he needs to show they can actually defend and be hard to beat before he is ready for a step up to a club like ours.

Ancelotti would be very welcome, and Im sure would be a popular choice. A successful and experienced manager, apparently good guy, I think people would be on board with.

Mourinho - for me I cant see past us going for him if it comes to Poch leaving. Whether thats the right move or not is up for debate, but I fully expect us to look to him as a first choice to be honest.
Jose is not a good choice unless we are content for a short term improvement or he has adjusted his expectations which I suppose joining Spurs would probably indicate he has.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Still hoping that Allegri is next in the hot seat.
None of these names inspire me. Alegri, Jose, Ancelotti etc they are all yesterday's men and managers used to working in very different circumstances to what they can expect at Spurs under Levy. I really think we need another man in the mould of a Poch (assuming he goes), young and willing to work their way up.

My tuppence.

None of these names inspire me. Alegri, Jose, Ancelotti etc they are all yesterday's men and managers used to working in very different circumstances to what they can expect at Spurs under Levy. I really think we need another man in the mould of a Poch (assuming he goes), young and willing to work their way up.

My tuppence.

Agree with your thoughts on Mourinho and Ancellotti however, Allegri is far from 'yesterday's man'.

Agree with your thoughts on Mourinho and Ancellotti however, Allegri is far from 'yesterday's man'.
I just don't rate him as a coach. He's also a bit of a bottler (as much as I hate that term) when it comes to the difficult situations, if his team are not the clear superior he often fails. His team's play boring football and he's very much a defensive coach who leaves his quality attackers to create for themselves. There's no real attacking play as such. That might work with the player's we have but as I say I just don't rate him and never have.

Ancelotti Wiki:

Towards the beginning of his coaching career, and during his time with Parma, Ancelotti preferred to use a rigorous 4–4–2 formation, which made use of heavy pressing, and drew influence from that of his Milan and Italy coach Arrigo Sacchi, and which he believed to be the most successful system for his team; however, this system did not allow for more creative forwards, such as Gianfranco Zola, Hristo Stoichkov and Roberto Baggio, to play in their preferred positions, and ultimately led to Zola and Stoichkov's departure from the club, while Baggio's transfer to Parma in 1997 was impeded by Ancelotti. Ancelotti later stated that he regretted his intransigence, and when he joined Juventus, he abandoned his favoured 4–4–2 in favour of a 3–4–1–2 system, in order to accommodate Zinedine Zidane in his preferred advanced playmaking role behind the forwards.[13][25][28][33][30][32][153] In addition to Sacchi, Ancelotti has also cited his former Roma manager Nils Liedholm, and his youth coach Bruno Mora as major influences.[154][155][156]

Despite his initial reputation as a tactically inflexible coach, with Milan Ancelotti later drew praise for his ability to find systems which would best suit his players, and which allowed several talented and creative players to co-exist; under Ancelotti's management, the club enjoyed one of its most fruitful spells in its history. Carlo Ancelotti's Milan sides usually almost always used a strong four-man back-line, a main striker and an attacking midfielder. In his first seasons with the club, although he was initially criticised by the club's president Berlusconi, due to his supposedly defensive tactics, Ancelotti was able to implement a more creative playing style based on possession when he notably adopted a 4–3–1–2, 4–1–2–1–2 or 4–4–2 diamond formation. While still preserving the team's strong defensive line, Ancelotti converted attacking midfielder Andrea Pirlo to a deep-lying playmaker, which saw him play in a seemingly defensive midfield role in front of the back-line, and behind the team's advanced playmaker, either Rui Costa or Rivaldo, giving the Italian more time on the ball to orchestrate the team's attacking moves from deeper areas, or to create goalscoring opportunities for the team's prolific strikers with his accurate long passing ability; the team's two playmakers were supported defensively by box-to-box midfielders on either side of them in the midfield diamond. Due to competition from Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini, Roque Júnior, Dario Šimić, and later Jaap Stam in defence, he also converted former centre-back Alessandro Costacurta to a defensive left-back, alternating him with Kakha Kaladze or Giuseppe Pancaro, while, due to the club's narrow midfield, the club's attacking right-back, Cafu, was given license to attack and provide width to the team; due to Cafu's offensive capabilities, Ancelotti occasionally fielded a 4–4–1–1 or 3–4–1–2 formation, which saw Cafu used as an outright winger, along with Serginho or Marek Jankulovski on the left.[13][45][46][47][48][153][154][157][158][159][160][161][162][163] After the departure of one of the club's main strikers at the beginning of the 2006–07 season, Andriy Shevchenko, Ancelotti redesigned Milan's line-up, devising a 4–3–2–1 system, later known as his "Christmas Tree" formation. Milan's line-up used either Filippo Inzaghi or Alberto Gilardino as a lone striker, supported by two attacking midfielders, Clarence Seedorf and Kaká, in front of a three-man midfield which once again featured Andrea Pirlo as a deep-lying playmaker, supported by two hard-working defensive midfielders, such as Gennaro Gattuso, Massimo Ambrosini, or Cristian Brocchi.[13][65]

At Real Madrid, Ancelotti similarly drew praise for his versatility; he modified the team's 4–2–3–1 formation, which had been used under José Mourinho, to a 4–4–2 formation, before settling on a 4–3–3 formation, in which Argentine former winger Ángel Di María was converted to a left-sided central midfielder, while Cristiano Ronaldo was played in his preferred free role on the left wing. Di María particularly excelled in this new role and played a key role in the club's successes.[111][164][165]

In addition to his tactical prowess and adaptability, Ancelotti has also drawn praise for his kindness, good humour, and his calm, balanced approach as a manager, as well as his ability to motivate his players and cultivate a good relationship with them, and foster a united, winning team environment, although he has also been known to lose his temper at times.[13][154][164][165][166][167][168] During Ancelotti's first season with Bayern Munich, Spanish midfielder Thiago praised Ancelotti for the freedom he gave the players to express themselves and for the confidence with which he instilled them; Ancelotti commented on the tactical changes he implemented at Bayern Munich, stating "[t]he main change is we press a bit more intermittently and we try to play more directly, more vertically," also adding that "if you're organised even an ordinary player can do very well because he'll have options and he'll know where they are and how to find them. But when you get to the final third, everything changes. That's where you need creativity and freedom because without it you only have sterile possession. Especially if your opponent's defence is organised and has been paying attention."

Sounds almost ideal, IMO

Ancelotti Wiki:

Towards the beginning of his coaching career, and during his time with Parma, Ancelotti preferred to use a rigorous 4–4–2 formation, which made use of heavy pressing, and drew influence from that of his Milan and Italy coach Arrigo Sacchi, and which he believed to be the most successful system for his team; however, this system did not allow for more creative forwards, such as Gianfranco Zola, Hristo Stoichkov and Roberto Baggio, to play in their preferred positions, and ultimately led to Zola and Stoichkov's departure from the club, while Baggio's transfer to Parma in 1997 was impeded by Ancelotti. Ancelotti later stated that he regretted his intransigence, and when he joined Juventus, he abandoned his favoured 4–4–2 in favour of a 3–4–1–2 system, in order to accommodate Zinedine Zidane in his preferred advanced playmaking role behind the forwards.[13][25][28][33][30][32][153] In addition to Sacchi, Ancelotti has also cited his former Roma manager Nils Liedholm, and his youth coach Bruno Mora as major influences.[154][155][156]

Despite his initial reputation as a tactically inflexible coach, with Milan Ancelotti later drew praise for his ability to find systems which would best suit his players, and which allowed several talented and creative players to co-exist; under Ancelotti's management, the club enjoyed one of its most fruitful spells in its history. Carlo Ancelotti's Milan sides usually almost always used a strong four-man back-line, a main striker and an attacking midfielder. In his first seasons with the club, although he was initially criticised by the club's president Berlusconi, due to his supposedly defensive tactics, Ancelotti was able to implement a more creative playing style based on possession when he notably adopted a 4–3–1–2, 4–1–2–1–2 or 4–4–2 diamond formation. While still preserving the team's strong defensive line, Ancelotti converted attacking midfielder Andrea Pirlo to a deep-lying playmaker, which saw him play in a seemingly defensive midfield role in front of the back-line, and behind the team's advanced playmaker, either Rui Costa or Rivaldo, giving the Italian more time on the ball to orchestrate the team's attacking moves from deeper areas, or to create goalscoring opportunities for the team's prolific strikers with his accurate long passing ability; the team's two playmakers were supported defensively by box-to-box midfielders on either side of them in the midfield diamond. Due to competition from Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini, Roque Júnior, Dario Šimić, and later Jaap Stam in defence, he also converted former centre-back Alessandro Costacurta to a defensive left-back, alternating him with Kakha Kaladze or Giuseppe Pancaro, while, due to the club's narrow midfield, the club's attacking right-back, Cafu, was given license to attack and provide width to the team; due to Cafu's offensive capabilities, Ancelotti occasionally fielded a 4–4–1–1 or 3–4–1–2 formation, which saw Cafu used as an outright winger, along with Serginho or Marek Jankulovski on the left.[13][45][46][47][48][153][154][157][158][159][160][161][162][163] After the departure of one of the club's main strikers at the beginning of the 2006–07 season, Andriy Shevchenko, Ancelotti redesigned Milan's line-up, devising a 4–3–2–1 system, later known as his "Christmas Tree" formation. Milan's line-up used either Filippo Inzaghi or Alberto Gilardino as a lone striker, supported by two attacking midfielders, Clarence Seedorf and Kaká, in front of a three-man midfield which once again featured Andrea Pirlo as a deep-lying playmaker, supported by two hard-working defensive midfielders, such as Gennaro Gattuso, Massimo Ambrosini, or Cristian Brocchi.[13][65]

At Real Madrid, Ancelotti similarly drew praise for his versatility; he modified the team's 4–2–3–1 formation, which had been used under José Mourinho, to a 4–4–2 formation, before settling on a 4–3–3 formation, in which Argentine former winger Ángel Di María was converted to a left-sided central midfielder, while Cristiano Ronaldo was played in his preferred free role on the left wing. Di María particularly excelled in this new role and played a key role in the club's successes.[111][164][165]

In addition to his tactical prowess and adaptability, Ancelotti has also drawn praise for his kindness, good humour, and his calm, balanced approach as a manager, as well as his ability to motivate his players and cultivate a good relationship with them, and foster a united, winning team environment, although he has also been known to lose his temper at times."

Sounds almost ideal, IMO

He's good in cups, the CL in particular but poor in the league. I don't believe he pushes us on from 2nd/3rd to actually winning the damn league but I guess maybe he could pull out a CL surprise. [emoji848]

Saying that, what would we give to finish 2nd/3rd this very season. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

He's good in cups, the CL in particular but poor in the league. I don't believe he pushes us on from 2nd/3rd to actually winning the damn league but I guess maybe he could pull out a CL surprise. [emoji848]

Saying that, what would we give to finish 2nd/3rd this very season. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
I want more than the Wenger Cup. We need trophies.

Poor in the league? Like leading Chelsea to the PL title? Why on earth would we want a manager with the know how of winning the PL along with the experience of winning major cups eh?:D....

Poor in the league? Like leading Chelsea to the PL title? Why on earth would we want a manager with the know how of winning the PL along with the experience of winning major cups eh?:D....
In Carlo's 25 years of management he has managed to win the league 4 times despite being in charge of Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. That is a frankly poor poor return considering the statute of the club's involved and the quality of the players he had under him. We have lesser players than all of those teams so I would be very surprised if he could win the league with Spurs when he struggled to do it multiple times with better sides. [emoji848]

The Sun

Even for the sun this poor.

It's been reported, yes in the sun.
Does anyone seriously think Levy is looking at Eddie howe?
I mean if we are balking over £12.5m to get rid of poch what's it going to cost to get howe, and it's probably more for nagelsman.
Even if carlo is on a shaky peg Napoli aren't going to let him go for nothing.
If/when Levy decides money will not come into it.

Even for the sun this poor.

It's been reported, yes in the sun.
Does anyone seriously think Levy is looking at Eddie howe?
I mean if we are balking over £12.5m to get rid of poch what's it going to cost to get howe, and it's probably more for nagelsman.
Even if carlo is on a shaky peg Napoli aren't going to let him go for nothing.
If/when Levy decides money will not come into it.

Agreed, I think a lot of this stuff is speculative at best.

I should say, I dont post it as fact or as if I believe every word, much like transfer speculation I tend to post it to prompt conversation.

Howe Im sure we are keeping tabs on, but Im also sure should be nowhere near our thinking at this time.

I also think £12m, if it comes to it, wont be a make or break factor in Levys decision.

Though if the pay out is of a concern, it would maybe lead Levy to getting in Mourinho/Allegri over others as they are free agents...

Back