• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah before we got AVB I said Martinez or Rodgers, now they'd be a pipe dream. Who are the current up and coming managers?

I think that it would be dangerous to appoint a young manager just because ones have been successful at Everton and Liverpool this season. It was following what had been successful elsewhere that lead us to appoint Gross. The club needs to work out what type of football we want to play, what characteristics we look for in a manager and then look for someone who fits with that, their age should be the least of our concerns.

he deserves credit for:
bringing Adebayor in and getting some goals out of Kane which if he didn't we would be fighting relegation.

however under TS
his diabolical set ups have us defending worse every week
his insistence on Chadli in the middle and Townsend on the right and to a lesser extend insisting on Eriksen starting on the left means he has to go for me.

We need a LB, Centre Back and Striker. I can't see a team finishing 6th attracting these unless we have a new name.

Ill take anybody over him

He thinks its all about "desire and character" and probably wants to bring in a bunch of Lee Catermoles. He has problems with players such as Sandro and Paulinho who if anybody hasn't noticed under previous managers previous clubs have shown plenty of desire and character.
Paulinho was known for being the skillful brazilian who likes to get stuck in - for us he doesn't run an inch let alone a mile
Sandro has been out of form because he's been overzealous on the pitch running around too much getting caught out of position because the team has been set up wrong and because of his CHARACTER has been trying too hard. He's been played in a 442 alongside Paulinho etc and because they do **** Sandro was often caught trying to do 2 jobs therefore out of position therefore making late tackles.

This. Is. Down. To. The. Manager.

He has to go.

LVG please save us

I think that it would be dangerous to appoint a young manager just because ones have been successful at Everton and Liverpool this season. It was following what had been successful elsewhere that lead us to appoint Gross. The club needs to work out what type of football we want to play, what characteristics we look for in a manager and then look for someone who fits with that, their age should be the least of our concerns.

That's a fair point, I guess the age thing is more to do with the fact someone younger is likely to see a longer term project here but with our chairman it doesn't really matter! In regards to Martinez and Rodgers, it was more the fact they played attractive passing football than the fact they are young, that was just a bonus. But yes, definitely more important the guy is a good fit for us....

What has he said that makes you think that?

He does seem to talk longer term ie has told chairman who he wants in summer, is important we keep Lloris and Eriksen etc. I know you could argue he'd say that anyway, but I don't think he knows he's going even if he is, and don't think its as clear cut that he'll be leaving as a lot of people on here do....

That's a fair point, I guess the age thing is more to do with the fact someone younger is likely to see a longer term project here but with our chairman it doesn't really matter! In regards to Martinez and Rodgers, it was more the fact they played attractive passing football than the fact they are young, that was just a bonus. But yes, definitely more important the guy is a good fit for us....

I think that it is unrealistic to appoint a manager thinking that they will be with the club for more than two or three seasons. If they are not performing well enough after that period of time, they will be sacked and if they are exceeding their targets, they will be poached by a bigger club. I would be overjoyed with the latter, as long as the club has a clear long terms strategy in place and can appoint a manager with a similar approach at that point.

I think that it is unrealistic to appoint a manager thinking that they will be with the club for more than two or three seasons. If they are not performing well enough after that period of time, they will be sacked and if they are exceeding their targets, they will be poached by a bigger club. I would be overjoyed with the latter, as long as the club has a clear long terms strategy in place and can appoint a manager with a similar approach at that point.

I think the most important criteria is someone who is a good coach. Someone who has shown they can mold a group of individuals into a coherent unit.

We don't need someone to rebuild the squad, that's just a waste of time and money. Our current transfer policy is working a treat.

he deserves credit for:
bringing Adebayor in and getting some goals out of Kane which if he didn't we would be fighting relegation.

however under TS
his diabolical set ups have us defending worse every week
his insistence on Chadli in the middle and Townsend on the right and to a lesser extend insisting on Eriksen starting on the left means he has to go for me.

We need a LB, Centre Back and Striker. I can't see a team finishing 6th attracting these unless we have a new name.

Ill take anybody over him

He thinks its all about "desire and character" and probably wants to bring in a bunch of Lee Catermoles. He has problems with players such as Sandro and Paulinho who if anybody hasn't noticed under previous managers previous clubs have shown plenty of desire and character.
Paulinho was known for being the skillful brazilian who likes to get stuck in - for us he doesn't run an inch let alone a mile
Sandro has been out of form because he's been overzealous on the pitch running around too much getting caught out of position because the team has been set up wrong and because of his CHARACTER has been trying too hard. He's been played in a 442 alongside Paulinho etc and because they do **** Sandro was often caught trying to do 2 jobs therefore out of position therefore making late tackles.

This. Is. Down. To. The. Manager.

He has to go.

LVG please save us

I don't know where to start but I'll try.

On the first of January 2014 we had 34 points, if we had not scored another point all season we would currently sit in 15th position. That is highly unlikely and hardly fighting relegation.

Chadli has played in the centre twice, hardly an insistence.

How many times has Townsend started on the right under Sherwood? Not many and he has played there under AVB and for England. Hardly a sacking offence.

Eriksen has played his best football in a Spurs shirt cutting in from the left. Eriksen's form under Sherwood should be a massive credit to him.

Yes we do need to sign some new players in the summer, Sherwood did not assemble this squad, so it is a bit harsh to blame him for it.

What evidence is there of Sherwood thinking it is all about "desire and character"? Were the development squad a blood and thunder set up under him? Has the players he has promoted to the first team been Lee Cattermole types?

I think that we have all be disappointed with Paulinho's season. Sometimes it takes players a while to settle into a new country, I hope that we hold onto him and he gets a chance to prove people wrong next season. I think that his form in the last two games has been an improvement on most of the season.

Sandro is coming back from a long lay off. I think that he is struggling for match fitness a bit and his form is suffering as a result. I hope that the spat with Sherwood is cleared very soon and that he can play a part in our remaining games and sees a future for himself at the club.

I agree that we should replace Sherwood with LvG if there is a chance of doing do but your reasons for thinking we should do this are completely flawed.

I think the most important criteria is someone who is a good coach. Someone who has shown they can mold a group of individuals into a coherent unit.

We don't need someone to rebuild the squad, that's just a waste of time and money. Our current transfer policy is working a treat.

I agree. Someone who is also willing to work with and bring through young players is also a must. I'd also like a coach who can stand up for us and put officials under pressure so that some of the pivotal decisions start going our way.

On the first of January 2014 we had 34 points, if we had not scored another point all season we would currently sit in 15th position. That is highly unlikely and hardly fighting relegation.

How many times has Townsend started on the right under Sherwood? Not many and he has played there under AVB and for England. Hardly a sacking offence.

Eriksen has played his best football in a Spurs shirt cutting in from the left. Eriksen's form under Sherwood should be a massive credit to him.

Yes we do need to sign some new players in the summer, Sherwood did not assemble this squad, so it is a bit harsh to blame him for it.

What evidence is there of Sherwood thinking it is all about "desire and character"? Were the development squad a blood and thunder set up under him? Has the players he has promoted to the first team been Lee Cattermole types?

I think that we have all be disappointed with Paulinho's season. Sometimes it takes players a while to settle into a new country, I hope that we hold onto him and he gets a chance to prove people wrong next season. I think that his form in the last two games has been an improvement on most of the season.

Sandro is coming back from a long lay off. I think that he is struggling for match fitness a bit and his form is suffering as a result. I hope that the spat with Sherwood is cleared very soon and that he can play a part in our remaining games and sees a future for himself at the club.

I agree that we should replace Sherwood with LvG if there is a chance of doing do but your reasons for thinking we should do this are completely flawed.

Agree whole heartedly with that post,the only thing I'd question is you saying Chadli has played in the centre twice? I'm pretty sure he's been there at least since the Arsenal game if not further back than that...

Townsend has played every game on the right. Id say thats an insistence. Every time Eriksen and Chadli have started together they have not been in their correct default positions, id say that qualifies as an insistence.

Eriksen has been at his best starting from the left?? TS deserves credit?? So frustrating to read. and incorrect for many reasons

1) Eriksen is a world class talent and would show some good play wherever he starts is is on the pitch. That doesn't mean thats his best position.
2) TS deserves zero credit for Eriksen being born with world class ability
3) my point is he CAN DO EVEN BETTER starting in the middle, I assume you at least agree that why have somebody playing at 80% when you can have at 100%
4) I have seen every live game this season and there has been many times when Chadli, Sig or somebody else had the ball in the middle and the play was crying out for invention but instead we gave the ball away. It was crying out for an Eriksen type to have the ball.
5) Eriksen has been made to look good against the smaller teams. Against the big teams he has to defend a lot more being on the wing and his attacking talents have been restricted.
6) Townsend for as much as I dislike him should start on the left with Eriksen in the middle. I have seen NUMEROUS examples of us getting the ball in good positions but the ball was at the feet of the wrong player and play was halted due to the player with the ball not knowing what to do.

If I had time I would actually go through the million examples but Eriksen on the left and Chadli in the middle, Townsend on the right is criminal.
Yes Eriksen looks good on the left but its been at the expense of the team and other players. He's been good (my favourite player by the way - I've wanted him at Spurs for 2 years) but don't be satisfied with good when he/we can be great

I guarantee you if Townsend starts on the left with Eriksen in the number 10 role we would have more points

Townsend has played every game on the right. Id say thats an insistence. Every time Eriksen and Chadli have started together they have not been in their correct default positions, id say that qualifies as an insistence.

Eriksen has been at his best starting from the left?? TS deserves credit?? So frustrating to read. and incorrect for many reasons

1) Eriksen is a world class talent and would show some good play wherever he starts is is on the pitch. That doesn't mean thats his best position.
2) TS deserves zero credit for Eriksen being born with world class ability
3) my point is he CAN DO EVEN BETTER starting in the middle, I assume you at least agree that why have somebody playing at 80% when you can have at 100%
4) I have seen every live game this season and there has been many times when Chadli, Sig or somebody else had the ball in the middle and the play was crying out for invention but instead we gave the ball away. It was crying out for an Eriksen type to have the ball.

5) Eriksen has been made to look good against the smaller teams. Against the big teams he has to defend a lot more being on the wing and his attacking talents have been restricted.
6) Townsend for as much as I dislike him should start on the left with Eriksen in the middle. I have seen NUMEROUS examples of us getting the ball in good positions but the ball was at the feet of the wrong player and play was halted due to the player with the ball not knowing what to do.

If I had time I would actually go through the million examples but Eriksen on the left and Chadli in the middle, Townsend on the right is criminal.
Yes Eriksen looks good on the left but its been at the expense of the team and other players. He's been good (my favourite player by the way - I've wanted him at Spurs for 2 years) but don't be satisfied with good when he/we can be great

I guarantee you if Townsend starts on the left with Eriksen in the number 10 role we would have more points

Townsend came off the bench to play on the left this weekend, as he did the weekend before against WBA.

Just because you would like to see Eriksen play centrally and Chadli on the left, it does not mean that it is an inarguable fact that this is their best positions. I can see benefits of Eriksen eventually moving to central midfield but I am not sure that the defensive side of his game is ready to play their yet and particularly not in a two man central midfielder and alongside another player who is still getting used to the league. The other question that you need to ask yourself when considering playing him deeper, is that will his contribution there more than make up for him having less opportunities to get forward into goalscoring/creating positions.

Eriksen's starting position on the left is just a starting position, in reality he is in a free role and is given licence to get forward and go where he wants.

If it is not to be LVG I'd like FDB. First of all he has three initials which is all important, but the Ajax brand of football is a template I would love to see dropped on our club.

This weekend just gone we had an Ajax youth team over at our club for a mini-tournament. I was blown away somewhat by their organisation firstly, and movement secondly. For players that young, barely in their teens most of them, it was an eye opener to see how certain traits are bedded in at such an early age. Certain 'events' on the pitch triggered sequences of movements from all the other players. They were very well drilled and every player on the team was in constant motion looking for the ball or making runs. If that is a taster of the Ajax philosophy then with the players we have, and I do think we have great players, the right coach can really make a difference to us.

Last edited:
Ajax lost the Dutch cup final yesterday, 1-5 to PEC Zwolle. Not up to date on the Ajax squad, but it looks like a lot of their best players started.

Ajax lost the Dutch cup final yesterday, 1-5 to PEC Zwolle. Not up to date on the Ajax squad, but it looks like a lot of their best players started.

Bad result and Ajax have had bad years, But they seem to have managed to thrive somewhat in a selling world, they still regularly bring through good youth talent, still aren't a pushover in Europe.

The system/ethos of the club is something we could certainly learn from regardless of if FdB is to be our guy.

If it is not to be LVG I'd like FDB. First of all he has three initials which is all important, but the Ajax brand of football is a template I would love to see dropped on our club.

This weekend just gone we had an Ajax youth team over at our club for a mini-tournament. I was blown away somewhat by their organisation firstly, and movement secondly. For players that young, barely in their teens most of them, it was an eye opener to see how certain traits are bedded in at such an early age. Certain 'events' on the pitch triggered sequences of movements from all the other players. They were very well drilled and every player on the team was in constant motion looking for the ball or making runs. If that is a taster of the Ajax philosophy then with the players we have, and I do think we have great players, the right coach can really make a difference to us.

agree on the Ajax template - but it's something which should be put in place from the ground up, not the other way around

Back