• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
AVB refuses to do one on one interviews with journalists, ergo he'll never have them fully on side.

This is also why his press conferences seem so convoluted and rambling, because he answers all their questions there.

Cheap shot....but true enough!

Martinez is potentially a great manager and one's career I'd follow with interest in the future

Although personally I feel he'd first need an intermmediate club such as Fulham or Sunderland before taking on a Top 6 CL-challenging outfit

Last edited:
I didn't see much evidence of a plan b at Chelsea.

I am worried that people are already building up AVB into something that he cannot possibly match. He will get team selections wrong, he will make the wrong substitutions at the wrong time, he will make baffling tactical choices, he will sign players that we don't rate or think that we don't need. All managers do.

I maintain that he was doomed from day one at Chelsea...you can't implement a plan B if the players don't like you or respect you. You cannot compare being a manager at Chelsea to a manager at any other club.

Anyone who saw AVB's final league game for Chelsea against WBA will agree with you. Rarely have I ever seen a team so clueless, so lacking in togetherness and so utterly lacking a Plan B. Or a Plan A for that matter. It was a shambles and AVB looked like a lost child on the sideline. Was sacked a day or two later iirc.

How many managers final game(s) look any differnt? Its not often a manager gets sacked on a high is it!?

So is it fair to judge his tactical nous at a time when the players werent working for him at all and he was alone on the sideline?

Im not making excuses for him, things went wrong and he was at the centre of it - but judging his tactical accumen at THAT point seems odd to me...

I'm supportive of the appointment - now that my man Marty seems to be out of the picture - in the name of taking a punt on youth and the possibility he's learnt his lessons. But anyone thinking Harry made mistakes that other coaches don't is deluded. Indeed, during match threads on GG during Harry's time you'd have 5 different people saying he was making 5 different mistakes and each one suggesting 5 better formations or substitutions. All these 5 though agreed that "Harry's got it wrong", which papered over the fact they'd all have done different things themselves! AVB, and any manager, will be the same from time to time.

Absolutely. Just look at this place, absolutely any action taken by the club or management is seen in both positive and negative light. Its the way it is.

I do think he will be subject to unfair media scrutiny, and that it will add a lot of pressure to his early days here - which is unfortunate. If he can get off to a reasonable start and ride out the back pages for a while though I think he will be fine.

If there is one truth in sports media its that there is always another drama around the corner to take the focus off of the current one.

Last year it was Suarez, AVB, Harrys trial, Harry to England, Terry the racsist.... The next big headline is never far away

I had a dream that we were mangerless in our first game of the season and were 3-0 down within 30 mins only for us to eventually win 6-5 with Modric scoring 4.

Make of it what you will :)

Was gutted when Chelsea signed AVB. Knew they would fudge it up though based on the mentality of the club and its core group of diseased megalomaniac players. Be thankful Chelsea have paid the £11M to get him out of Porto. Roll on 1st July.

Levy (and many fans) main problem with Harry was ALWAYS longevity, and his own personal ambition... DESPITE what Harry says out the car windaaa, he ALWAYS wanted - and no doubt assumed - he was a shoe-in for England at SOME point...

...the fact he was overlooked isn't our problem, it's most definitely his... but it doesn't change the fact that in his mind, he wasn't going to be at Spurs for the long-run, so investing time in the Youth set-up (only for the inevitable next manager to reap the benefits from) was NEVER going to be in Harry's interests... he was very much for the 'now' (hence some of the signings) and to be perfectly fair, the 'now' has been pretty good, let's not kid ourselves.

But there's no use us being a one-season wonder every 10 years or so, we need to build from the foundations up... hence the new training facilities, and hopefully, the new ground.
Levy knows this, and has made provisions for this... Harry didn't, and probably couldn't care one jot WHERE or how GOOD the new training ground was, as long as the tea-lady made a 'triffic brew!

Levy is restructuring the club from top to bottom, to focus on the FUTURE... and good job too. We've been in 'transition' for too fudging long, after a succession of 'Me-Me-Me' managers (Jol aside) who were never going to weave themselves into the fabric of the Club... AVB just might be someone that can!

Whether we like it or not, we're a stepping stone club at the moment. Anyone who thinks the new manager will remain loyal to us if a better job came up is deluding themselves (unless it's a Spurs man, which it won't be).

Mark Klendjian MBE@2drivemark
#skysportsmark AVB to #spurs is on. But if #cfc cause anymore problems #THFC could tune to Joachim Low. Liked very much by DL

Whether we like it or not, we're a stepping stone club at the moment. Anyone who thinks the new manager will remain loyal to us if a better job came up is deluding themselves (unless it's a Spurs man, which it won't be).

I think Redknapp was a stepping stone manager for us, he was brought in to avoid relegation and get us back to security possibly pushing EUFA spots. He far exceeded expectations that's why he stayed longer than expected. We weren't a stepping stone for Redknapp, we were his pinnacle.

We're a stepping stone club for an up and coming manager like an AVB maybe, but if he does well then we'll be pushing for the legue and qualifying for CL regularly. If that happens only 4 or 5 clubs in the world would be a step up. If he gets us 4th/5th then it will be par for the course and clubs above us wouldn't be interested in him.

I didn't see much evidence of a plan b at Chelsea.

I am worried that people are already building up AVB into something that he cannot possibly match. He will get team selections wrong, he will make the wrong substitutions at the wrong time, he will make baffling tactical choices, he will sign players that we don't rate or think that we don't need. All managers do.

Without a doubt they all do, but what he can give us that Redknapp could not is options on the tactical side. He will make mistakes but he may also enable us to have a plan b which we never had before.

#skysportsmark AVB to #spurs is on. But if #cfc cause anymore problems #THFC could tune to Joachim Low. Liked very much by DL

Cant see how they could cause any more problems if the contractual obligations are up on 1 Jul. He should in their be able to join us on Sunday.

Low would be in massive demand you would have thought

How many managers final game(s) look any differnt? Its not often a manager gets sacked on a high is it!?

So is it fair to judge his tactical nous at a time when the players werent working for him at all and he was alone on the sideline?

Im not making excuses for him, things went wrong and he was at the centre of it - but judging his tactical accumen at THAT point seems odd to me...

Fair point.

eh? not sure how this makes sense , even for a rumour

is this guy trying to insinuate that AVB is already better than low?

@nayim:- i am pretty sure that Harry , saha and nelsen were all judged during the bad patch?

how was that fair on any of those players and / or manager? (for the record i know where you stand with regards to your core reasons, am just throwing it out there off the back of your point. cause people slate harry for the bad 2 months which he actually worked his way out of. hardly fair)

@nayim:- i am pretty sure that Harry , saha and nelsen were all judged during the bad patch?

how was that fair on any of those players and / or manager? (for the record i know where you stand with regards to your core reasons, am just throwing it out there off the back of your point. cause people slate harry for the bad 2 months which he actually worked his way out of. hardly fair)

It's a bit different, judging someone's tactical nous or ability to have different plans on one final game where he was about to be sacked and when the dressing room had long since gone, compared to judging players over a good half a season and a manager not being able to get us out of that rut.

AVB is known for giving players different plans so they can prepare for different situations that can arise in the game. I won't be too worried about that. My worries would be about discipline - I'm not sure how the players will take to his 'discuss it all in front of the team' approach. Maybe they won't mind at all...not sure.

It's a bit different, judging someone's tactical nous or ability to have different plans on one final game where he was about to be sacked and when the dressing room had long since gone, compared to judging players over a good half a season and a manager not being able to get us out of that rut.

AVB is known for giving players different plans so they can prepare for different situations that can arise in the game. I won't be too worried about that. My worries would be about discipline - I'm not sure how the players will take to his 'discuss it all in front of the team' approach. Maybe they won't mind at all...not sure.

Is he? what evidence do you have other then his auto biography?

The evidence we've all seen with our eyes says otherwise. Did it look like he gave the Chelsea players different plans to prepare for different situations to you? to me it didn't look like that at all. My eyes led me to believe he went with this one plan and one tactic throughout his time there.

Is he? what evidence do you have other then his auto biography?

The evidence we've all seen with our eyes says otherwise. Did it look like he gave the Chelsea players different plans to prepare for different situations to you? to me it didn't look like that at all. My eyes led me to believe he went with this one plan and one tactic throughout his time there.

Ok...well one example would be when they went down to 9 men vs QPR and still looked like far the better team.

But truth be told it is mostly from what I have read from his biography. But if it says something like 'A big part of his management is making sure the players are ultra-prepared for any situation they can face, that he acknowledges anything can happen and that players must have multiple plans to deal with this' then I am going to assume it isn't a blatant lie. There are quotes from players backing it up and I don't think they would be lying either. It's simply what he does.

But he could still have done all of that with Chelsea, and failed because something else wasn't clicking. He can give them all the plans but if they aren't playing for him and getting dingdonged on by West Brom it's going to look like they have no plan whatsoever, even though he did actually prepare them.

Really what you've seen is an under performing team not playing for their manager. Nobody really knows the exact specific reasons as to why they were under performing, and no-one can draw absolute conclusions from what they saw on the pitch because they don't know why it's happening. As I've said, he could have given them all the plans possible to give but if no-one was playing for him then it will look bad.

And that's why I read that book, I wanted to understand what he tries to do as a manager and how he prepares teams. It tells how he did it at Porto, and unless he suddenly decided to change his preparation, he would have done it at Chelsea and will do it at Spurs too. Having a Plan B won't be what worries me with AVB, I think the team will be as well prepared as possible. There may well be other things to worry about. We will lose games. We will look like the 2nd best team sometimes. It will happen. But I think he will prepare them well. But other things could go wrong.

Back