• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
In the sun today it said that Chelsea are continuing to pay him £100k a week (up to the remainder of his contract - totalling 11mill) rather than a lump sum until he starts a new job.

Harry Redknapp was on £3.9m a year, I'm sure AVB will at least get paid as much as him.
If he want the Chelsea money then he'll have to remain unemployed for two years.

Harry Redknapp was on £3.9m a year, I'm sure AVB will at least get paid as much as him.
If he want the Chelsea money then he'll have to remain unemployed for two years.

Exactly.

Far more damaging to his finances to be out of the game for two years - assuming that he has belief in his own ability to succeed in his next job (and it certainly seems as though he isn't short of belief).

The sooner he gets back in the saddle and makes a success of another job, the sooner he will become hot property again, with the ability to command the kind of wages (and more) that Chelsea agreed to pay him.

Besides, by all accounts, he is something of a football obsessive and a workaholic - not to mention the fact that his pride will have been sorely dented by his Chelsea chastening. I doubt that he would be able to handle sitting around, out of a job for two years.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS will be a huge success as Tottenham manager.

That is the verdict of Porto and Portugal star Joao Moutinho, tipped to be AVB’s first White Hart Lane signing.

He said: “AVB is one of the best coaches I’ve worked with. I’d work with him again tomorrow.

“I don’t really know what happened at Chelsea — but when you employ a new coach you have to give him time.”

Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea in March, just eight months into a three-year contract.

He is set to be named as Harry Redknapp’s Tottenham successor within the next 48 hours.

Moutinho, 25, won the Europa League under AVB at Porto and believes he will be far stronger for his traumatic experience at Stamford Bridge.

He said: “You can’t always base his progress on results. If players are obstructive it makes the job very difficult.

“Perhaps in the end he was judged more on immediate results than he was on his long-term vision.

“All I do know is he did a fantastic job at Porto.

“He didn’t win the league title and the Europa League by chance.

“But then he had a set of players who bought into his ideas and were enthusiastic and supportive.

“He was very much like Pep Guardiola was at Barcelona. He loved to deploy systems to bring the best out of the players.

“I remember talking to him about England when he was poised to leave.

“He was so enthusiastic, he was so determined to make a success of it.

“AVB isn’t the type to want revenge, his only motivation is to prove to people that he can be a success in England.”

Moutinho is shocked that AVB, 34, appeared to have so many problems with players at Chelsea.

He added: “I didn’t see his age as a problem. At Porto it brought him closer to the players. The players loved him.”

Moutinho also claims that AVB was a lot calmer than Jose Mourinho.

He added: “They both demand discipline but Mourinho was a lot harder when things went badly.”

The midfielder, who played in Portugal’s Euro 2012 semi-final defeat to Spain, is valued at around £25million by Porto.

Manchester United are ready to battle Spurs for his signature.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4403968/Andre-Villas-Boas-will-be-a-huge-Spurs-hit-says-Joao-Moutinho.html

Cloughie lasted 44 days at Leeds... then look at what he did at Forest. Perhaps AVB can do the same at Spurs

By ROY KEANE

BRIAN CLOUGH famously lasted just 44 days at Leeds but, as he went on to prove, that did not make him a bad manager.

Who is to say that Andre Villas-Boas cannot do likewise and show his time at Chelsea was just a blip?

I’m not saying he’s going to turn Tottenham into European champions like Clough did with Nottingham Forest, just that his time in charge at Stamford Bridge need not define him as a manager.

I do see similarities between Villas-Boas’ time at Chelsea and Clough’s Elland Road stint.

Both had impressed in their previous jobs before moving on to a bigger challenge.

The pair tried to stamp their authority on dressing rooms where there were some well-established players who had already achieved considerable success.

It didn’t work out for either of them but it doesn’t mean that they should never get a chance in the dugout again.

I see some good managers like Alan Curbishley, Glenn Hoddle, Peter Reid and Billy Davies out of work and I can’t understand why someone won’t give them a chance.

Maybe their agents aren’t as busy as they could be because there are other managers who, almost as soon as they’ve lost one job, fall into another — even if they’ve no track record to speak of.

I’m not including AVB in that bracket as he achieved both domestic and European honours with Porto, so he’s clearly got something.

Look at it from Tottenham’s point of a view. A year ago, Chelsea thought nothing of paying out £13.3million in compensation to bring AVB in from Portugal.

Spurs got him for nothing. And while things may have gone badly at their London rivals, his CV prior to that makes for good reading.

I’m sure he has learned from his mistakes at Chelsea.

Trying to ease out senior pros like Frank Lampard was always going to be hard when they had a couple of years left on their contract.

Chelsea’s old guard are probably more influential than they might be at other clubs, similar to the likes of Johnny Giles, Norman Hunter and Billy Bremner were at Leeds.

OK, Rafael van der Vaart might not be afraid to speak his mind but I’m not sure the senior pros hold as much sway at White Hart Lane.

Already, William Gallas has been released, so some of the more difficult decisions have been taken before AVB officially starts work.

They’ve got Gareth Bale on a new contract which is great news for them. It remains to be seen if they can keep Emmanuel Adebayor — who was an important player for them — after his loan ran out.

It might suit AVB that Spurs like to bring in younger players with a resale value because, often, they’re more willing to listen and learn.

One difficulty AVB had at Chelsea was that he had been there before as a scout under Jose Mourinho and, if that is how the players view you, it can be hard to shake that image.

He won’t have that problem at Tottenham but the pressure will be on him to perform from the start. He’s got to hit the ground running.

On the day he was let go by Spurs, Harry Redknapp said they could be realistic title contenders within a couple of years. I don’t believe that for a second.

The likes of Manchester United and Emirates Marketing Project are far too strong and you could see Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all spending big money in a bid to try and bridge the gap to the top two.

Are Spurs really prepared to splash out to close that gap? I doubt it.

But he will be asked to improve on what Harry did and that is no mean feat. Remember, they were bottom of the table when Harry took over and they finished eighth that year. Since then, they have finished fourth, fifth and fourth again.

They would have qualified for next season’s Champions League had Chelsea not beaten Bayern Munich on penalties in May’s final.

I know the Champions League is the Holy Grail for them because of the financial rewards — but they shouldn’t knock the importance of winning the FA Cup or League Cup if they can.

It’s not the first time Spurs have taken the foreign route.

We all remember Christian Gross with his Tube ticket. Neither him, Jacques Santini nor Juande Ramos worked out.

But Martin Jol did and I’d like to think AVB could too. I’m sure it hurt him to see Chelsea win both the Champions League and the FA Cup when the players had simply not performed for him.

That will make him a wounded animal, eager to give a better account of himself, much like Clough was when he took charge of Forest back in 1975.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4403865/Roy-Keane-says-Andre-Villas-Boas-could-do-a-Cloughie-at-Tottenham.html

The articule by Keane is spot on about the Clough situation, i can not see it being the same here for AVB as he faced from the Chelski dressing room.

Exactly.

Far more damaging to his finances to be out of the game for two years - assuming that he has belief in his own ability to succeed in his next job (and it certainly seems as though he isn't short of belief).

I think this kind of misses the point (IMO anyway)

He is already a very wealthy man, and when you have that sort of money - in sport - Im guessing that cash isnt the motivation. Any job he gets will be well paid (compared to Joe bloggs at the very least) so I think its more likely he is working for the challenge, reputation, prestige...

Some of the most experienced and probably richest managers take "crappy" jobs in Russia, China, Middle East just for the money. They often do such a poor job that they're fired within the year. *Pick up compensation, move on to next job*

I think this kind of misses the point (IMO anyway)

He is already a very wealthy man, and when you have that sort of money - in sport - Im guessing that cash isnt the motivation. Any job he gets will be well paid (compared to Joe bloggs at the very least) so I think its more likely he is working for the challenge, reputation, prestige...

Well, if you must selectively quote me.................!!!

What about the rest of my post which makes precisely the point that you make here??

Cloughie lasted 44 days at Leeds... then look at what he did at Forest. Perhaps AVB can do the same at Spurs

By ROY KEANE

BRIAN CLOUGH famously lasted just 44 days at Leeds but, as he went on to prove, that did not make him a bad manager.

Who is to say that Andre Villas-Boas cannot do likewise and show his time at Chelsea was just a blip?

I’m not saying he’s going to turn Tottenham into European champions like Clough did with Nottingham Forest, just that his time in charge at Stamford Bridge need not define him as a manager.

I do see similarities between Villas-Boas’ time at Chelsea and Clough’s Elland Road stint.

Both had impressed in their previous jobs before moving on to a bigger challenge.

The pair tried to stamp their authority on dressing rooms where there were some well-established players who had already achieved considerable success.

It didn’t work out for either of them but it doesn’t mean that they should never get a chance in the dugout again.

I see some good managers like Alan Curbishley, Glenn Hoddle, Peter Reid and Billy Davies out of work and I can’t understand why someone won’t give them a chance.

Maybe their agents aren’t as busy as they could be because there are other managers who, almost as soon as they’ve lost one job, fall into another — even if they’ve no track record to speak of.

I’m not including AVB in that bracket as he achieved both domestic and European honours with Porto, so he’s clearly got something.

Look at it from Tottenham’s point of a view. A year ago, Chelsea thought nothing of paying out £13.3million in compensation to bring AVB in from Portugal.

Spurs got him for nothing. And while things may have gone badly at their London rivals, his CV prior to that makes for good reading.

Trying to ease out senior pros like Frank Lampard was always going to be hard when they had a couple of years left on their contract.

Chelsea’s old guard are probably more influential than they might be at other clubs, similar to the likes of Johnny Giles, Norman Hunter and Billy Bremner were at Leeds.

OK, Rafael van der Vaart might not be afraid to speak his mind but I’m not sure the senior pros hold as much sway at White Hart Lane.

Already, William Gallas has been released, so some of the more difficult decisions have been taken before AVB officially starts work.

They’ve got Gareth Bale on a new contract which is great news for them. It remains to be seen if they can keep Emmanuel Adebayor — who was an important player for them — after his loan ran out.

It might suit AVB that Spurs like to bring in younger players with a resale value because, often, they’re more willing to listen and learn.

One difficulty AVB had at Chelsea was that he had been there before as a scout under Jose Mourinho and, if that is how the players view you, it can be hard to shake that image.

He won’t have that problem at Tottenham but the pressure will be on him to perform from the start. He’s got to hit the ground running.

On the day he was let go by Spurs, Harry Redknapp said they could be realistic title contenders within a couple of years. I don’t believe that for a second.

The likes of Manchester United and Emirates Marketing Project are far too strong and you could see Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all spending big money in a bid to try and bridge the gap to the top two.

But he will be asked to improve on what Harry did and that is no mean feat. Remember, they were bottom of the table when Harry took over and they finished eighth that year. Since then, they have finished fourth, fifth and fourth again.

They would have qualified for next season’s Champions League had Chelsea not beaten Bayern Munich on penalties in May’s final.

I know the Champions League is the Holy Grail for them because of the financial rewards — but they shouldn’t knock the importance of winning the FA Cup or League Cup if they can.

We all remember Christian Gross with his Tube ticket. Neither him, Jacques Santini nor Juande Ramos worked out.

But Martin Jol did and I’d like to think AVB could too. I’m sure it hurt him to see Chelsea win both the Champions League and the FA Cup when the players had simply not performed for him.

That will make him a wounded animal, eager to give a better account of himself, much like Clough was when he took charge of Forest back in 1975.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4403865/Roy-Keane-says-Andre-Villas-Boas-could-do-a-Cloughie-at-Tottenham.html

Huh? Did I miss that? Or is he confusing him with King?

I know!! And Gallas and King are the future!!! I'd give them new 6 year deals personally.

Gallas and King do not want to stay around at a club like Spurs! We'll have no squad left within a couple of weeks. Lancaster, Bostock and Luongo will form the backbone of Spurs' new squad.

By ROY KEANE

=D>

Back