• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

If pochettino comes back it can only be a win ... levy would 400% have to put the furniture in the house before pochettino even entertains the idea of sitting down.

This is why i don't understand people dismissing it - for it to happen assurances need to be made and the hunger needs to have returned. If Poch wants it to happen and the club does to, what sort of Spurs fan wouldn't want it as well?

This is why i don't understand people dismissing it - for it to happen assurances need to be made and the hunger needs to have returned. If Poch wants it to happen and the club does to, what sort of Spurs fan wouldn't want it as well?

Exactly. Both sides wouldn't be stupid enough to jump back into it 'just because'. There will have been time to reflect, understand what went wrong, what needs to be in place for it to work going forward.

If it ended up happening, I'm 100% sure it's because those reflections have taken place. Frankly I don't think Poch would want it if it didn't get those assurances, and clearly Levy wouldn't want the moody version of Poch that felt like he wasn't getting his own way.

He should beg him to come back - offer him a seat on the Board and shares in the club - then back him to the hilt. Poch could be - and should have been - our Wenger (although I thoroughly disliked Arsene!)

BUT, BUT, BUT - there is no point in bringing Poch back unless he is going to change his daft transfer negotiating policy - you know the one - £Million wise, many £Millions foolish! I suggest below how he might find the money to rebuild the team - but he would never let the out players go at those knockdown prices - which means they just hang around, knowing that we want them out, but not going - kills their motivation, of course...

OUTS - Sissoko - £20M,
Lamela £20M
Winks £22M
Dier £28M
Sanchez £25M
Foyth £13M
Docherty £10M
Bergwijn £20M

That's £158M - then add around £60M and buy

INS - two CBs - £90M, RB £20M, CM Defence £30M, CM Attack £50M, CFwd (Back up to Harry who stays because of Poch and this spending commitment) £25M

Total Ins = £215M

Simples!

its super high risk if he comes back now - for him and the club.
at least if he wins something somewhere else we can all blame levy again

Seriously, how anyone can watch this and not want him back is beyond me.

All the talk of mistakes that he may have made, the poor league form at the end...any manager would have to learn, any manager would come with a degree of risk, there's no certainty Poch Mk2 would work out, but my GHod what he did for this club is utterly insane. THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL. The entire club united.

He should beg him to come back - offer him a seat on the Board and shares in the club - then back him to the hilt. Poch could be - and should have been - our Wenger (although I thoroughly disliked Arsene!)

BUT, BUT, BUT - there is no point in bringing Poch back unless he is going to change his daft transfer negotiating policy - you know the one - £Million wise, many £Millions foolish! I suggest below how he might find the money to rebuild the team - but he would never let the out players go at those knockdown prices - which means they just hang around, knowing that we want them out, but not going - kills their motivation, of course...

OUTS - Sissoko - £20M,
Lamela £20M
Winks £22M
Dier £28M
Sanchez £25M
Foyth £13M
Docherty £10M
Bergwijn £20M

INS - two CBs - £90M, RB £20M, CM Defence £30M, CM Attack £50M, CFwd (Back up to Harry who stays because of Poch and this spending commitment) £25M

Total Ins = £215M

Simples!

You've probably added 100m of value to that group of players we're trying to sell

I’d only want him back if we sold like 60% of the squad including some big names. Not gonna happen.

Kind of agree. But I think so many players are at the end of the road with us that I could almost see it working. Lamela looks to be gone. I can see Dier and Sanchez looking for new starts, or I can see Toby deciding that for some reason he really hates Poch and deciding to move on. The left flank with Sess and Reggy would feel really fresh.

A fitter and more settled GLC and N'Dombele, I think there's enough freshness in the squad and enough players that would welcome him back (e.g. Dele) that I could see it working. Bergwijn would suit. PEH. Get Skipp some game time. We'd have to make signings for sure, but let's make some moves and do it right this time!

OUTS - Sissoko - £2.0M,
Lamela £2.0M
Winks £2.2M
Dier £2.8M
Sanchez £2.5M
Foyth £13M
Docherty £1.0M
Bergwijn £20M

Total Ins = £215M

Simples!

fify :D

I don't think Tanganga should be in the first team picture now. I know he's homegrown and all that but I just don't see the quality there. Skipp was still too young to have played a part while Poch was here really. I think if we'd been in the Europa League instead of the Champions League then we would've likely seen more young players but there are no gimme's in CL football. We did see quite a few of the young players under Poch in the League Cup and they went out and got beat by Colchester United....

I agree that it's easier to play youngsters in EL vs CL. You can also try to add a few here and there in PL games when we are clearly going to win or in games where we expect to win with our big guns. Poch started integrating in such a way and then seemed to do less and less as time went on. Ok, perhaps when you're constantly at the sharp end of things you have less chance to, but again you don't have to do it wholesale, just a bit here and there.

And i'm not sure i agree with your last point re Colchester: most of that team that started the game were internationals; only Tanganga, Skipp and Parrot (and if you really want to stretch it KWP) were youngsters in the starting line-up.
The rest were: Gazzaniga, Dier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Davies, Moura, Alli. That's more than enough to win that game and i don't think losing that game can be blamed on Poch playing the youngsters any more than losing the West Ham LC game two years prior was because we got a bit "Rabbit in the headlights" during a woeful second half.

We have to be clear as to why we want Poch back and the club have to make sure it's based on hard reality and not myths.

OUTS - Sissoko - £20M,
Lamela £20M
Winks £22M
Dier £28M
Sanchez £25M
Foyth £13M
Docherty £10M
Bergwijn £20M

Total Ins = £215M

Simples!
I'd love to know where you're finding clubs to pay those sorts of fees for that level of deadwood..... The first 5 would fetch nowhere near those fees.... Not even half of them in most instances.

I agree that it's easier to play youngsters in EL vs CL. You can also try to add a few here and there in PL games when we are clearly going to win or in games where we expect to win with our big guns. Poch started integrating in such a way and then seemed to do less and less as time went on. Ok, perhaps when you're constantly at the sharp end of things you have less chance to, but again you don't have to do it wholesale, just a bit here and there.

And i'm not sure i agree with your last point re Colchester: most of that team that started the game were internationals; only Tanganga, Skipp and Parrot (and if you really want to stretch it KWP) were youngsters in the starting line-up.
The rest were: Gazzaniga, Dier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Davies, Moura, Alli. That's more than enough to win that game and i don't think losing that game can be blamed on Poch playing the youngsters any more than losing the West Ham LC game two years prior was because we got a bit "Rabbit in the headlights" during a woeful second half.

We have to be clear as to why we want Poch back and the club have to make sure it's based on hard reality and not myths.

I think your whole first paragraph is the essence of what Pochettino was trying to say needed to change. He blooded youngsters early when we were ‘competing for the European places’. Once we become a regular CL side, the job changes. Harder to blood youngsters but also he wanted more proven signings. He wanted to make that leap but it didn’t seem like Levy was willing to. And that not changing yet is the biggest obstacle to him coming back.

I see what you’re saying. My comment on ‘ideal profile’ stems from the idea that, if we are to be a club that doesn’t spend the absolute most money, we need a guy that builds a system, a culture and a spirit which allows us to compete. Poch is that. To an extent ETH or Potter would be too, but they don’t have the romance. Poch has the combination of being the right profile, plus being unjustly screwed and deserving of being able to right the wrongs. And because he was the right profile (IMO) there was always this idea that he didn’t need to be sacked, that it was a mistake, and even if we got someone like him, it probably would just be a lower tier version.

So for me it really isn’t just ‘I love Poch, get him back’. It’s more ‘he is the right kind of profile, and the problems we had when he left weren’t really down to him, given he was calling for changes 2 years prior to it’. He earned the right to be trusted to do it his way IMO, and I’d love to see if that can work out.

I suspect it won’t, but if Levy had some realisation that our best chance of competing was with him, and there wasn’t likely to be some other miracle worker out there, then I’d be over the moon.

There's at least one thing we can agree on: whoever's appointed, we'll be 100% behind him!

Back