• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

So, after Sunday's did anyone who wanted Rodgers as our next manager change their mind?
Or did any who wanted him, still want him?

Curious to hear people's thoughts on this (and apologies if it's already been discussed above...!)

I am pro Rodgers but have to say I thought Leicester were shockingly bad on Sunday. We weren’t all that great but LCFC offered nothing. Especially as Villa opened the door for them. If roles were reversed and we had failed in the same manner we’d be getting absolutely hammered and ridiculed.
Rodgers is lucky he has the FA cup to fall back on.

- Attractive football
- Develops players
- High profile for attracting players
- Immensely popular with fans
- Immensely popular with players
- Proven success within structure and constraints such as ours

No one else on the short-lists ticks even half those boxes.

I would definitely though like to see him work alongside Rangnack or another DoF, as transfers seemed an aspect of the job that he was never interested/would ideally delegate. That would maybe help with the emotional side of moving on players too (if it wasn't primarily up to him).

Indeed.... Poch with an excellent DoF and Levy having learned from his mistakes and not cheaping out on him could be the golden ticket....

I think part of the frustration poch had last time is that he wasn't give more responsibility to sign players, or get the ones he wants. I dint think he likes the transfer commity thing nor do I think he wants to work under a DOF.

Remember his: 'don't call me a manger any more, I am the coach'

So, after Sunday's did anyone who wanted Rodgers as our next manager change their mind?

Curious to hear people's thoughts on this (and apologies if it's already been discussed above...!)

I still have him as my preferred option, out of those who I view as realistic. I dont think 1 game changes whether you're a good or bad manager. I dont see who else ticks as many boxes

I don't view Poch as realistic (yet), until there are some proper rumours of PSG firing him. I cant see us approaching PSG to buy him out of his contract, and not sure I see us approaching PSG and them agreeing some mutual consent separation with Poch

I think part of the frustration poch had last time is that he wasn't give more responsibility to sign players, or get the ones he wants. I dint think he likes the transfer commity thing nor do I think he wants to work under a DOF.

Remember his: 'don't call me a manger any more, I am the coach'
I think that came from a hugely frustrating time for him where the players he wanted were not signed and the players he wanted out were not sold. I think that problem would be solved working under a DoF as opposed to that person being Levy. It does mean Levy stepping away somewhat of course (it's fine Daniel.... you can still pay yourself the highest football director's salary in the UK). There is no reason why a brilliant coach/manager cannot work with a brilliant DoF, should be a match made in heaven really.

1 game doesn’t tell the tale though does it? He had Leicester finishing above where they should and won an F.A cup while using young players and playing good football.
Agreed and this whole bottle job thing is being overplayed i think. The fixture list this season was nasty for them in the last 5/6 weeks, which means it was friendly prior to that, so stands to reason they may have points in the bag from the easier games before the tough games occurred.

the fixtures schedules are relatively similar each season and if memory serves correctly they had tough games in the run in last season as well?

I think Rodgers may be the safest pair of hands for us, I think he’d have us in and around 4th. I’ve kind of had my head turned by Ten Haag though, maybe it’s the unknown in that appointment that excites me?

1 game doesn’t tell the tale though does it? He had Leicester finishing above where they should and won an F.A cup while using young players and playing good football.

Spent the whole season (and alot of last) in the top 4 without some of his top players for long, long periods. Think he's done an amazing job and I would love him here.

Winning the FA cup but losing out on CL on final game, I think most of our fans would take that!

All this talk of never go back and he was failing towards the end etc is imo irrelevant noise.

It is actually a good thing he was sacked before returning because it has taken this for both he and levy to realise what they had. Levy had flirtatious eyes elsewhere and didn’t truly back him and poch had grown worn down by it all.

Now both men have learned important lessons which could be the catalyst for us to more easily achieve new heights, that were previously damn hard to get to during his first reign.

No doubt that if this happens it will include backing in the market in a way that poch always wanted i.e. painful rebuild AND it will mean kane and bale are staying.

One game indeed doesn't tell the tale...but then that one game (like a cup final) had ramifications further beyond that game, plus there was a similar outcome in the previous season.
Can i ask you: how would you have felt it was us who failed at the last hurdle two seasons in a row and in both seasons having spent 90% of the time in the top 4 only to miss out at the last?

Spent the whole season (and alot of last) in the top 4 without some of his top players for long, long periods. Think he's done an amazing job and I would love him here.

Winning the FA cup but losing out on CL on final game, I think most of our fans would take that!
They have dealt with the injuries really well
I do wonder how much recruitment he is involved in as that’s a key area of weakness for us and NOT for Leicester

It's almost impossible to compare two managers so I can't answer that question. I don't keep a ranking of my former girlfriends either. Now, are there interesting options out there? Definitely. Whether we can (or want to) bring them in is another matter entirely but without even trying too hard, I can think of a dozen managers I'd rather see appointed before a the man we sacked two years ago.

Again, I don't think anyone questions the fact that he's been our most successful manager of the Premier League era. He's done some great things here but, really, I don't get the nostalgia and I admit it goes way beyond football. Life's about moving forward, not backwards! I have no interest in meeting people I attended school or college with. In any case, it really reads like, to some people, the man's bigger than the club.

I'll wish him the best if he's reappointed but going back for him doesn't strike me as something a big, forward-thinking club would do.

Chelsea appoints Lampard
United appoints OGS
Arsenal appoints Arteta
Real appoints Zidane
Bayern with Flick (guy was out game for 5 years, hadn't been a manger in 14)
I'd bet good money when Klopp leaves Gerrard will be favorite.

Not disagreeing with your points, but I'm a little confused about the big forward thinking clubs making sensible managerial appointments?

Agreed and this whole bottle job thing is being overplayed i think. The fixture list this season was nasty for them in the last 5/6 weeks, which means it was friendly prior to that, so stands to reason they may have points in the bag from the easier games before the tough games occurred.

the fixtures schedules are relatively similar each season and if memory serves correctly they had tough games in the run in last season as well?

I think Rodgers may be the safest pair of hands for us, I think he’d have us in and around 4th. I’ve kind of had my head turned by Ten Haag though, maybe it’s the unknown in that appointment that excites me?
Once Leicester won the FA Cup it was always likely their league form would fall away IMO. It's why I think the FA Cup final should be the last game of the season.

I am pro Rodgers but have to say I thought Leicester were shockingly bad on Sunday. We weren’t all that great but LCFC offered nothing. Especially as Villa opened the door for them. If roles were reversed and we had failed in the same manner we’d be getting absolutely hammered and ridiculed.
Rodgers is lucky he has the FA cup to fall back on.

I am amazed that Leicester didn't press us. Leeds showed that we can't deal with it and Leicester play like that sometimes. It seemed like a massive misjudgement by Rodgers to me.

I am fine if we get Rogers
The guys a quality coach and players like playing for him
All thy happened on Sunday was we showed we can be better than them. That’s not a surprise as we can be better than most sides when we want to be... the key being is how often we “want to be”
That was a really good 4-1 win (their 2nd penalty was a joke so I’m not counting it)
What was surprising was how we dominated key areas more and more as the game went in once they lost fafana
Tielemans was hardly in the game once Ndidi dropped back and was Maddison playing?!?

Chelsea appoints Lampard
United appoints OGS
Arsenal appoints Arteta
Real appoints Zidane
Bayern with Flick (guy was out game for 5 years, hadn't been a manger in 14)
I'd bet good money when Klopp leaves Gerrard will be favorite.

Not disagreeing with your points, but I'm a little confused about the big forward thinking clubs making sensible managerial appointments?
None do
Everyone is scared of their next appointment for fear of fans feedback abd getting it wrong
It’s a tough call

I am amazed that Leicester didn't press us. Leeds showed that we can't deal with it and Leicester play like that sometimes. It seemed like a massive misjudgement by Rodgers to me.
They might not have had it left in the tank to do so..... They did try to press us after we'd got it to 2-2 and that left a lot of gaps for us to exploit, I think because their press wasn't particularly well orchestrated. I'm not sure that Leicester have been a pressing team this season anyway have they?

They might not have had it left in the tank to do so..... They did try to press us after we'd got it to 2-2 and that left a lot of gaps for us to exploit, I think because their press wasn't particularly well orchestrated. I'm not sure that Leicester have been a pressing team this season anyway have they?
No
Their all about pace

Once Leicester won the FA Cup it was always likely their league form would fall away IMO. It's why I think the FA Cup final should be the last game of the season.

I'd argue their league didn't 'fall away' after the cup final, they just had two of the harder games in the season after it. They did beat Manure at OT after all.

It was games they blew before then that cost them, e.g. losing 4-2 at home to Steve bleeping Bruce!

I think Poch coming back is a deflection story; i can't see it happening for lots of reasons.

I also think it would be a massive on both ours and his parts....

Back