• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
He absolutely should feel hard done by and bear a grudge. He took a 6th placed team and achieved a 5th place and then 4 top 4 finishes in a row while having the 17th biggest transfer budget in the division. He massively overachieved and was then sacked less than a third of the way into a season when he'd barely got to use the few new players he had finally been allowed to buy. If I sacked one of my traders after a bad quarter after 4 great years of results then I'd expect them to tell me where to go if I tried to employ them again (or I'd at least expect them to want a far higher level of compensation second time round).

Again, you have no balance

- Did you take a risk on that trader in the first place?
- The budget doesn't matter, look at the players (it's like saying Conte only has Kane who was free)
- He burned out, so did several of his senior players (something forgotten in these conversations)
- Did you pay out your trader tons of money for firing him?
- Did he go on to a bigger/better job on what your job gave his resume?

You know what breaks everyone's argument about how bad/poor Poch was treated? Poch, the guy literally left here saying he wanted to come back, when managing Messi/Mbappe/Neymar he wanted to come back, after leaving PSG he wants to come back .. doesn't really sound like someone who feels hard done by

Again, you have no balance

- Did you take a risk on that trader in the first place?
- The budget doesn't matter, look at the players (it's like saying Conte only has Kane who was free)
- He burned out, so did several of his senior players (something forgotten in these conversations)
- Did you pay out your trader tons of money for firing him?
- Did he go on to a bigger/better job on what your job gave his resume?

You know what breaks everyone's argument about how bad/poor Poch was treated? Poch, the guy literally left here saying he wanted to come back, when managing Messi/Mbappe/Neymar he wanted to come back, after leaving PSG he wants to come back .. doesn't really sound like someone who feels hard done by
To answer your questions in turn….

Yes, on a few of them I have taken quite a big a risk, most people want to move up and take bigger opportunities, I’m always wary of those moving down.
The budget absolutely matters, that is why the teams with the biggest budgets win 95%+ of the trophies and that’s why my best traders get the biggest funds.
Burn out is inevitable when being asked to constantly achieve results higher than resources provided.
Yes, I have to pay quite a high level of compensation to terminate employment of a trader.
In the unlikely event of me terminating the employment of a trader who had outperformed the market significantly for 4 straight years after they’d had a bad quarter then yes I would absolutely expect them to get a bigger opportunity elsewhere (but I’m not that stupid to instigate that opportunity).

But we were well ahead of arsenal in terms of development 9 months ago
We weren't. Arsenal were actually better than us last year, the fact they bottled their end of the season is what allowed us to catch them. Over the course of the season they were the better side. Our Spurs tinted goggles might have made you think otherwise but that is the sad truth.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

We weren't. Arsenal were actually better than us last year, the fact they bottled their end of the season is what allowed us to catch them. Over the course of the season they were the better side. Our Spurs tinted goggles might have made you think otherwise but that is the sad truth.

I think a season is long enough for the final table to justify which team was better?

It c.ould of easily been an agreeable opinion at the time that we were on a rapid rise in the hands of a world class manager, and Arsenal, although improving didn't have the mentality for it and the dagger in the heart we delivered them should have been fatal for them and their cuckoo manager.

Of course that pov looks like folly now.

I think a season is long enough for the final table to justify which team was better?

It c.ould of easily been an agreeable opinion at the time that we were on a rapid rise in the hands of a world class manager, and Arsenal, although improving didn't have the mentality for it and the dagger in the heart we delivered them should have been fatal for them and their cuckoo manager.

The table doesn't lie but we only caught them because they fudging bottled it. We get called the bottlers but Arsenal had an ironclad case of premium bottled water last season.

They were the better team for the majority of the year, it took a monumental run from ourselves and them falling apart for us to pip them by two points.

I think objectively if you had looked at the two sides over the course of the season you'd have to say Arsenal were the superior outfit. We outgritted them and they fell apart when the pressure was on no doubt but they looked a side with a good foundation that they could build upon.

I didn't expect them to react as well as they have but it isn't totally shocking.

The table doesn't lie but we only caught them because they fudging bottled it. We get called the bottlers but Arsenal had an ironclad case of premium bottled water last season.

They were the better team for the majority of the year, it took a monumental run from ourselves and them falling apart for us to pip them by two points.

I think objectively if you had looked at the two sides over the course of the season you'd have to say Arsenal were the superior outfit. We outgritted them and they fell apart when the pressure was on no doubt but they looked a side with a good foundation that they could build upon.

I didn't expect them to react as well as they have but it isn't totally shocking.

Woolwich were wildly inconsistent last season. I saw them 4 times before the run-in. In 2 of the games, they were very good (Villa 1-0 and City 1-2), in two they were abysmal (a 0-2 loss to Brentford and a 1-2 loss to a dreadful Everton). Those two dreadful performances were 4 months apart and that's before we come to the Palace 0-3, the 0-3 at our place or the 0-2 capitulation up in Saudi Sportswashing Machine where they were utter brick in all three.

I don't buy the argument that they were better than us last season.

Woolwich were wildly inconsistent last season. I saw them 4 times before the run-in. In 2 of the games, they were very good (Villa 1-0 and City 1-2), in two they were abysmal (a 0-2 loss to Brentford and a 1-2 loss to a dreadful Everton). Those two dreadful performances were 4 months apart and that's before we come to the Palace 0-3, the 0-3 at our place or the 0-2 capitulation up in Saudi Sportswashing Machine where they were utter brick in all three.

Yea that theory is massively revisionist based on what’s happening this season.

they played about 40 games in total last season, so literally all eggs in the league basket, they really weren’t all that. Obviously they are playing well and have huge confidence this season though.

Yeh and Nuno being incharge absolutely loaded the gun in their favour lets not forget that

Also, if I remember rightly, we were well within reach for them and the gap opened up again early in the year when we lost 4 out of 5 games, was it Wolves and Southampton? Thats when the gap appeared and people started saying 4th was done. I actually believed we could still make 4th, was told to not jinx it, mainly because of what you say, Arsenal were not great neither were West Ham or United who were lingering about.

Conte did amazing last year, I won't take that away BTW, I was fully on the hype train, its more the fall off the cliff that has done me. Also the idea Arsenal were more worthy of 4th last year man for man after 6 odd years below us, not sure I agree

Last edited:

We were narrowly ahead of Arsenal on points but they were much further ahead in their development (their manager has been in place for 39 months, ours has been in place for 16 months).

The table doesn't always tell the truth, but last year it did. We were deservedly 4th. For the top 5 the underlying stats table perfectly aligned with the actual final position (below sorted by xPts).

upload_2023-3-15_7-46-16.png

They weren’t better than us
The table doesn’t lie after 38 games (it can over a shorter period)
This season, some of the bigger side have suffered from injuries, harder European competitions and the World Cup being in the middle of the season.

Some haven’t
The injuries you get when your flying are much less than what you get when your suffering
City are up there through sheer squad depth
Arsenal are up there because they have a tried and tested way of playing (3 years in the making) and not having more than one key player injured at any time
Their recent blip came when Rapey was out for example
They did much better business for now in January than they were going to do with a Mudryk (he may be better than Trossard long term).
If they don’t win the league it would be the biggest collapse in a long time. I think city will pip them to it still but that’s partly expectation, and partly desperation.

Yea that theory is massively revisionist based on what’s happening this season.

they played about 40 games in total last season, so literally all eggs in the league basket, they really weren’t all that. Obviously they are playing well and have huge confidence this season though.
Its not revisioning. Some of us spoke about it last season on this very forum. You might have disagreed but some of us said this exact thing.

We were narrowly ahead of Arsenal on points but they were much further ahead in their development (their manager has been in place for 39 months, ours has been in place for 16 months).
I agree that's a general way to look at it but in this instance you have to consider one is a beginner and one is a get results quick manager.

Heck Conte doesn't know what 39months looks like.

Back