• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Happy to be challenged on this mate. He took over at Espanyol, with them bottom of the league and him still a player coach. He took them to mid table in his first season taking 4 points off Pep Guardiola's brilliant Barcelona team. Finished mid table with a team in deep financial trouble and having to sell their best players 3 seasons in a row. Eventually left by "mutual consent" ( same as Conte at Spurs). with them bottom of La Liga but not relegated. It is widely acknowledged that he impressed at Espanyol and brought him to the attention of Nicola Cortese at Southampton who brought him to the PL.
I never said he has them relegated. Just left them bottom
He did have some good results there
Cortese actually went to watch espanyol to see a player but liked Poch more
And I stand by the fact that no top club would a appoint a manager who leaves his team bottom even with a decent few years behind him

Sticking with the manager show have done great things at clubs around the bottom. Is it possible big clubs miss out on hidden gems because they won’t gamble on those guys
I don’t mean the allardyces of course but I know I’m Italy there are a couple of manager who have been keeping some weak sides up historically and never been given big jobs. Sure that would be the case in many countries
With football being a sport where money and resources matters more anyone who excels with mediocrity can only be good… maybe more so with us

Maybe we need to face up to the truth before we can get on the road to recovery. It’s good to know where we stand and we may as well face the fact that we have fallen a long way. Since 2016/17 (our peak) here’s our final league position:
2-3-4-6-7-4-8

It looks like last season was an aberration.
It's been said a few times. As a fan base we are massively overrating the squad and what it can achieve. We got 4th because Arsenal collapsed last season and we went on a bit of a tear at the right time.

I wonder sometimes if our fan base actually watches other teams or if maybe their love Spurs just blinds them to the truth of our actual quality or lack thereof.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It's been said a few times. As a fan base we are massively overrating the squad and what it can achieve. We got 4th because Arsenal collapsed last season and we went on a bit of a tear at the right time.

I wonder sometimes if our fan base actually watches other teams or if maybe their love Spurs just blinds them to the truth of our actual quality or lack thereof.

And we had no other comps at the right time
And we had new signings hit the ground running (none have this year)
But the kicker is we did invest and the squad was massively underused by conte
It’s possible in better hands we can see better performances
I mean I think the idea of Bentacur with the Bissouma we have seen the last 3 games could be oustanding to watch

I mean, it was literally your rationale that appointing Silva would show how far we’ve fallen because of his chequered history I was disproving, by highlighting Poch’s chequered history!

It’s not my rationale, it’s yours mate.
In fairness, I think a De Zerbi appointment would be more comparable to Poch than Marco Silva who as @AdamB says has been serially managing teams looking over their shoulder at relegation.

I never said he has them relegated. Just left them bottom
He did have some good results there
Cortese actually went to watch espanyol to see a player but liked Poch more
And I stand by the fact that no top club would a appoint a manager who leaves his team bottom even with a decent few years behind him
Didn't Madrid appoint Ramos after us?

In fairness, I think a De Zerbi appointment would be more comparable to Poch than Marco Silva who as @AdamB says has been serially managing teams looking over their shoulder at relegation.
Again… that’s what Poch was
Southampton have always been relegation fare and so we’re espanyol. He left one side bottom but the other on the way up
De Zerbi is the epitome of one who took a team and made them better, but left whilst they were on the up IIRC. I don’t think he has had the low with his teams since he got experience and top flight football (I may be wrong)

Thing is I am sure posters were saying the same thing after the AVB/Sherwood season and look what happened. Call me stupidly optimistic but I believe, if we get a decent manager who is afforded some time, some additions at the back and in goal, we have some really decent potential in this squad. It just needs harnessing and used properly.

Thing is I am sure posters were saying the same thing after the AVB/Sherwood season and look what happened. Call me stupidly optimistic but I believe, if we get a decent manager who is afforded some time, some additions at the back and in goal, we have some really decent potential in this squad. It just needs harnessing and used properly.
We also need to shift some players and get that churn going
That will be a positive as negative as it can sound

One that comes to mind for me …. Off the back of listening to a pod about how this team have progressed is …

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urs_Fischer_(footballer)

he has done well in Switzerland and has taken Union Berlin into the CL.
His win record is very good at almost 50%

I know it’s kinda random but this is a guy who has done great things in 2 leagues now and when we look at a a manger like Ange, this guy stacks up really well in comparison

De Zebri, yep good shout. Another one that dis-proves Adams one size fits all rationale.
Up til now I thought he was ungettable but noises are coming out of Brighton about losing Caicedo and MacAlister and the squad being ill equipped to cope with 3 games a week might mean he could be persuaded to leave with his stock high. Probably just wishful thinking though.

De Zebri, yep good shout. Another one that dis-proves Adams one size fits all rationale.

Sorry but you're talking rubbish. I highlighted the difference between Marco Silva and Poch. For you to extend that to De Zerbi is nonsense - I agree that de Zerbi is a great option - I don't think there is a cat in hells chance of us landing him, but he'd be a great manager for us!

Look at his career of upwards moves:

de Zerbi: Benevento (bottom) then UPWARDS TO Sassuolo (11th, 8th, 8th) then UPWARDS TO Shakhtar (Champions!) then UPWARDS TO Brighton
Poch: Espanol UPWARDS to Southampton (8th placed finish!! miracle for them!) then Spurs
Even Ange: Australia (successful) >>> Japan (successful) >> Celtic (successful) >> Spurs

whereas:

Silva: Bumbles around 4 lower PL teams, though he did get Southampton to 10th

As importantly, the first 3 play attacking exciting football. Silva plays passing football like Potter and Rodgers, but in my view is no better than them either in terms of result or excitement

One that comes to mind for me …. Off the back of listening to a pod about how this team have progressed is …

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urs_Fischer_(footballer)

he has done well in Switzerland and has taken Union Berlin into the CL.
His win record is very good at almost 50%

I know it’s kinda random but this is a guy who has done great things in 2 leagues now and when we look at a a manger like Ange, this guy stacks up really well in comparison

This is the sort of thinking and foresight I would expect our club to have considering the way they run the club e.g. near on zero external funds to support the team.

We should therefore have a setup that gets us ahead of the competition but alas it is brighton cleverly exploiting the south american market and it is brighton who the second they lost potter they knew immediately where to turn… to a little known Italian RDZ.

We on the other hand dont have a clue what we are doing.

City only won the league because Arsenal collapsed and City went on a bit of a tear at the right time.

Oh, hang on. That's the same as being better.

City only won the league because Arsenal collapsed and City went on a bit of a tear at the right time.

Oh, hang on. That's the same as being better.
The important thing is Arsenal collapsed twice #Consistent

Up til now I thought he was ungettable but noises are coming out of Brighton about losing Caicedo and MacAlister and the squad being ill equipped to cope with 3 games a week might mean he could be persuaded to leave with his stock high. Probably just wishful thinking though.
I think de Zerbi will stay at Brighton but I wonder who they’d replace him with if he left? If they’re as well run as widely believed then they’ve probably identified someone already.

Tbf most pundits and bookiez at the beginning of the season predicted us to finish top 4 this season.

Back