• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New DoF Poll (The Less Grease More Ethos Edition)

Who do you want for our next DoF

• Michael Edwards

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Paul Mitchell

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Ralf Ragnick

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rui Pedro Braz (Benfica)

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Luís Campos (PSG)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Giovanni Sartori (Bologna)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Ramon Planes (ex-Barca)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Surely it depends on whether Scott Minnie sees a need

I am finding difficulty in trying to place a value on Paratici and his contribution to Spurs while in charge…

Hit & Miss… Is it good enough for a Director then?

I am finding difficulty in trying to place a value on Paratici and his contribution to Spurs while in charge…

Have any of the coaches we are looking at ever worked without a DoF? Except maybe Poch for a couple of years when Hitchin was in a less senior role.

Have any of the coaches we are looking at ever worked without a DoF? Except maybe Poch for a couple of years when Hitchin was in a less senior role.

The reason being that in European football, coaches are less autonomous than in UK football.
I do believe that Daniel Levy & Co have a preference for the European model, and that the top coaches are more familiar with.
But it still begs the question: Wherein lies the value? And, heaven forbid, who does Scott Munn add value….
Anyway, at least it won’t be Oliver Kahn or Eric Abidal… lol

I don't think Munn is appropriately qualified to make final decisions on player A vs player B. Needs to be a former manager or player

I also think the first team manager doesnt have the bandwidth to direct the scouts etc so you do need a DoF. It can't be good for the team to have the manager spending many hours per week in discussing who is watching who etc - better to just consult them with the results before approaches are made to sign players.

Definitely need a DoF in my view

The reason being that in European football, coaches are less autonomous than in UK football.
I do believe that Daniel Levy & Co have a preference for the European model, and that the top coaches are more familiar with.
But it still begs the question: Wherein lies the value? And, heaven forbid, who does Scott Munn add value….
Anyway, at least it won’t be Oliver Kahn or Eric Abidal… lol

I don't think Munn will have a footballing role. His will be more the one that Paul Kemsley and Paul Barber used to hold - effectively Deputy Chairman.

I don't think Munn will have a footballing role. His will be more the one that Paul Kemsley and Paul Barber used to hold - effectively Deputy Chairman.

It seems (we don't know) he will be a director (real not title) of all football sides of the business. This is just a natural consequence of the growth of the business, we are now a half a billion dollar a year business.

- Levy will probably continue to have overall oversight on the business, likely with a greater focus on continuing to build the non football and Infrastructure side of the business
- Munn's role will likely to continue building a football structure that would hopefully have a model that allows for consistency, a system, long term strategy
- Under that you will have roles like DoF, Scouting, Academy, etc.

This is us moving away from the old chairman & manager run everything model

This is a bit random, but I think we should appoint Vertonghen as deputy DoF.

Let him learn the roll and succeed to it in future, like the Edu/van der Sar/Overmars model

I don't mind someone like Vertonghen in, and the club seems to appreciate the value of ex players (King, Mason, JD all getting roles).

This comes down to wanting to create a real culture, connection with club & fans

p.s. whoever we get in needs to be really good at selling players

It seems (we don't know) he will be a director (real not title) of all football sides of the business. This is just a natural consequence of the growth of the business, we are now a half a billion dollar a year business.

- Levy will probably continue to have overall oversight on the business, likely with a greater focus on continuing to build the non football and Infrastructure side of the business
- Munn's role will likely to continue building a football structure that would hopefully have a model that allows for consistency, a system, long term strategy

How I see it too. Doesnt mean that he makes decisions on signings - that will come from the DoF in the same way that the manager picks the team

Let him learn the roll and succeed to it in future, like the Edu/van der Sar/Overmars model

Very hard to make a call on which players would make great managers or DoFs. Similar to how in professional services businesses (banks, accounting, lawyers) often the best fee earners arent the best people to run the company

Many 'great' players have fallen flat on their faces when moving into management or into DOF roles. I'm not sure I can give compelling reasons why Vertonghen would make a success any more than others

Very hard to make a call on which players would make great managers or DoFs. Similar to how in professional services businesses (banks, accounting, lawyers) often the best fee earners arent the best people to run the company

Many 'great' players have fallen flat on their faces when moving into management or into DOF roles. I'm not sure I can give compelling reasons why Vertonghen would make a success any more than others

Vertonghen just seemed very smart (for a footballer). But in a slightly aloof style that seemed more DoF, rather than the warmer nurturing style you'd want for a coach. He also grew up in the Ajax system, which is the best schooling in how things like that should work.

Lloris too strikes me as more future DoF, rather than coach, for similar reasons.

This makes perfect sense, except…

How are we to empathize with Antonio Conte lashing out at players being brought in as “Club Signings” and not the players he wanted…. Because, he should have been told to sit down by the then DoF for speaking out of turn when referring to Jed Spence. Or maybe the media didn’t think about it as a story, lol

Since the mention of Vertonghen, I think it’s a great idea however, he would need backing when negotiating with execs of other clubs - someone with substantial experience I suppose.

I’m willing to put money on the fact that Paul Mitchell has already been discussed, or at least considered. And this can be the mentor

I have a feeling that Vertonghen will want to go down the manager route instead when he is done with playing.

Back