• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Kit?

Obviously tongue in cheek, I still buy shirts (although haven't for a few seasons now) and probably will do at some point. But I do genuinely get sadder each year I get older as I think "there's no way I can make it professionally now".

Ah, see, I have an advantage in that regard - I always had the first touch of a blind, one-legged mastodon with incurable rickets, so I was (and still am) stuck in goal most of the time. Now, it's just a case of seeing how long Buffon goes on for and measuring my false hopes against that yardstick. Going by Gigi, I still have just over a decade to make it at the top - and that time period keeps getting extended the more he goes on. ;)

Have you seen that walking club store mannequin that appears on Arsenal Fan TV every now and then? Head to toe, kitted out in Arsenal scarf, Arsenal kit, Arsenal jacket, Arsenal trackies, Arsenal-brand Nikes. Even has a pair of Arsenal-brand headphones *over* his actual pair of ordinary ones.

I was recently shocked to discover that this man is actually in his late forties.

So, given all that, I think just the jersey's hardly f*cking pushing it. Plus, on the (increasingly) rare occasions I manage to get anywhere with a significant number of people watching the games, I'm almost always the only one with a Spurs shirt in the entire joint - makes it all the more special when we win and I can grin serenely at the (occasionally) despondent, ever-present United/Liverpool/Arsenal bunch on my way out. :)

Also, I recently went down to my old haunts at the University of Toronto's downtown campus, and was surprised to see a bunch of Chinese blokes sitting around in the library cafe with last year's jersies on, talking about something or the other. All of them had Eriksen or Dembele on the back - and, although I was puzzled at that curious congruity, I was happy to see them nonetheless. There's still something to be said for the kit sparking instant recognition and a limited sense of kinship, even across continents - and *especially* given that most of my youth passed without knowing more than a handful of Spurs fans at the *most* within at least a 250km radius. :p

My dad bought me a spurs strip for my birthday in the summer of 1982, he had to order it and it took 8 weeks to come.
He bought it from the biggest sports shop in Glasgow at the, greaves, the guy had worked tgere 8 years and never sold a spurs kit.
So i know how lonely it can be being a spurs fan "abroad".

My dad bought me a spurs strip for my birthday in the summer of 1982, he had to order it and it took 8 weeks to come.
He bought it from the biggest sports shop in Glasgow at the, greaves, the guy had worked tgere 8 years and never sold a spurs kit.
So i know how lonely it can be being a spurs fan "abroad".

Hey, it all definitely counts, mate. One of the reasons I'm so happy we're getting new fans in from all sorts of places abroad (as those Chinese lads I mentioned might have been) is that it will help the future generation of young Spurs supporters around the world feel a bit less peer pressure by dint of their support for relative outsiders, and a lot more able to connect to fellow fans in a way that makes them feel part of the Spurs family. Whether those young supporters grow up in Glasgow or Dubai. Or China, for that matter. ;)

Love it ... nike make sexy kits around the world .... sign up with spurs and make them look like they were designed by aunt patty who runs a canteen for the local boys team

Have you seen that walking club store mannequin that appears on Arsenal Fan TV every now and then? Head to toe, kitted out in Arsenal scarf, Arsenal kit, Arsenal jacket, Arsenal trackies, Arsenal-brand Nikes. Even has a pair of Arsenal-brand headphones *over* his actual pair of ordinary ones.

I was recently shocked to discover that this man is actually in his late forties.

So, given all that, I think just the jersey's hardly f*cking pushing it. Plus, on the (increasingly) rare occasions I manage to get anywhere with a significant number of people watching the games, I'm almost always the only one with a Spurs shirt in the entire joint - makes it all the more special when we win and I can grin serenely at the (occasionally) despondent, ever-present United/Liverpool/Arsenal bunch on my way out. :)

Also, I recently went down to my old haunts at the University of Toronto's downtown campus, and was surprised to see a bunch of Chinese blokes sitting around in the library cafe with last year's jersies on, talking about something or the other. All of them had Eriksen or Dembele on the back - and, although I was puzzled at that curious congruity, I was happy to see them nonetheless. There's still something to be said for the kit sparking instant recognition and a limited sense of kinship, even across continents - and *especially* given that most of my youth passed without knowing more than a handful of Spurs fans at the *most* within at least a 250km radius. :p

Even though there are quite a few spurs fans where I live, I rarely see them outside the regular pub, so whenever I see someone with something spurs on, I make it a point to greet them with a "yiddo", which I guess is kind of childish, but it's always returned with a smile and a bit of chat. Point is, I think the kinship there is quite real and somewhat peculiar, and recognised by people who aren't always surrounded by spurs fans or people wearing spurs stuff. :)

It's not a million miles from our Hummel kit c.1985-7

extra_football_shirt_13654_1.jpg

I've always been a Hummel Holsten man. Nothing hollers Pride of North London like a German beer sponsor and zany Danish chevrons.

Hard to find these treasures.

Hey, it all definitely counts, mate. One of the reasons I'm so happy we're getting new fans in from all sorts of places abroad (as those Chinese lads I mentioned might have been) is that it will help the future generation of young Spurs supporters around the world feel a bit less peer pressure by dint of their support for relative outsiders, and a lot more able to connect to fellow fans in a way that makes them feel part of the Spurs family. Whether those young supporters grow up in Glasgow or Dubai. Or China, for that matter. ;)
My mum and dad in 1990 couldn't find me a spurs kit, they were sold out so they bought me for my 7th birthday.........................
An Arsenal kit.

Obviously tongue in cheek, I still buy shirts (although haven't for a few seasons now) and probably will do at some point. But I do genuinely get sadder each year I get older as I think "there's no way I can make it professionally now".

Low moment for me was when I officially announced my retirement for selection for the national team. Think it was after the 2010 World Cup squad was announced.

I was only 28 and as a goalie, I still feel I could do a job now. But was devo I wasn't even considered. It was a low point of my career.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back