• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Agreed. An experience CM is something we are sorely lacking. Bender would be a great addition but there's another thread for that.

What do Tottenham and Stephen Hawking have in common?

No Bender.

26456a5c5c2986f1d5be6e863aef44df.jpg

Last season when there was a break in play and messages had to be passed on it was bentaleb that was called over and trusted to pass it on so I think poch rates and trusts him.
Anyone in management will tell you how invaluable it is to have someone you can trust to pass on YOUR instructions, not their interpretation of them.
I also think bentaleb relishes the responsibility.

i just don't think he is ready yet.

That's fair enough but I think the efforts and results of last season prove the opposite. He was a mainstay in a midfield that got us to 5th in the league and a cup final. There will be blips in performance as there are with any player, regardless of age. He will get better by playing games and I don't agree that he has "got above his station". He's got great potential, and it is unfair of us to expect him to not make a mistake.

That's fair enough but I think the efforts and results of last season prove the opposite. He was a mainstay in a midfield that got us to 5th in the league and a cup final. There will be blips in performance as there are with any player, regardless of age. He will get better by playing games and I don't agree that he has "got above his station". He's got great potential, and it is unfair of us to expect him to not make a mistake.

This really doesn't mean to sound like a dig at him, but I do believe the goals from Kane, Eriksen and Chadli papered over some cracks, some of which are the defence and the centre midfield.

This really doesn't mean to sound like a dig at him, but I do believe the goals from Kane, Eriksen and Chadli papered over some cracks, some of which are the defence and the centre midfield.

That's what a team does. It could be argued that those 3 would not have scored were it not for the qualities that players like Bentaleb and Mason have provided. The point is that this is a team game.

This isn't really aimed at you Jurgen, but I don't buy into the "Bentaleb needs to be dropped", "He's getting above his station", "He's brick", "He'll never be what we need" that has been trotted out recently. He will improve with experience. You compare how he has played last season to how he played when he first came in and there's a marked improvement. That's what you get with youngsters. Schneiderlin seems to be everyone's cup of tea as "the player" that we should have signed.
Well what was he doing at the same age? He was playing championship football for Southampton. Look where he is now yet here we are with a number of people saying he should be dropped and that he will never get us to where we want to be. I think that is frankly a load of brick.

Last season when there was a break in play and messages had to be passed on it was bentaleb that was called over and trusted to pass it on so I think poch rates and trusts him.
Anyone in management will tell you how invaluable it is to have someone you can trust to pass on YOUR instructions, not their interpretation of them.
I also think bentaleb relishes the responsibility.
Unless you know what the message was its hard to say why bentaleb was the chosen messenger. It could have been anyone on the pitch and still not mean anything. But I get it that any good coach can see the potential in the boy.

The issue at stake is whether a player - any player - can have a stinker of the kind he had at Old Trafford and deserves to start the next match...

The issue at stake is whether a player - any player - can have a stinker of the kind he had at Old Trafford and deserves to start the next match...

wat up maltese,

I think thats the fundamental difference between both sides of this discussion....i dont think he had a stinker....i've seen stinkers. that wasnt one of them. did he make a few mistakes? yes ...because he is a holder or double pivot type guy were those mistakes costly? Yes...

but despite that he still was on par as far as overall ability with the united midfilders , prior to bastian coming on, and he didnt look out of place IMO

the mistakes in isolation dont make you have a stinker...and overall i dont think he did THAT bad to be as brick a display as others are making out

Hi AS. Great to see you back.

I am a bit more critical than you - I can accept mistakes but some of his errors were shocking...

Having said that, as i wrote in the match thread, I would probably still start him against Stoke but hope he has been given a hell of a gonad*ing for his lack of concentration.

Hi AS. Great to see you back.

I am a bit more critical than you - I can accept mistakes but some of his errors were shocking...

Having said that, as i wrote in the match thread, I would probably still start him against Stoke but hope he has been given a hell of a cobblering for his lack of concentration.
cheers maltese, good to hear from you too and be back....feels like aaages

I always do wonder that actually, when a player is known to make some critical mistakes that lead directly or indirectly to goals......how does a premier league outfit go about rectifying that. do they just keep on training or fdo they work on that particular issue...does the player watch footage and seens where he goes wrong? does he re-create that in real time to see how things could have been different?

One thing that i know i dont want is that i dont want it to curtail his bravery and being adventurous....after seeing Bastian for united i know i miss that kind of footballer for us

Personally, I think Pochettino has to pick him again today, precisely because of the errors last week. I hope he's had a long word and puts him back in the saddle focussed on not making a repeat performance, rather than dropping him and knocking his confidence. That's how people learn.

Personally, I think Pochettino has to pick him again today, precisely because of the errors last week. I hope he's had a long word and puts him back in the saddle focussed on not making a repeat performance, rather than dropping him and knocking his confidence. That's how people learn.
Spot on. Dropping the young man may destroy his confidence.

That's what a team does. It could be argued that those 3 would not have scored were it not for the qualities that players like Bentaleb and Mason have provided. The point is that this is a team game.

This isn't really aimed at you Jurgen, but I don't buy into the "Bentaleb needs to be dropped", "He's getting above his station", "He's ****", "He'll never be what we need" that has been trotted out recently. He will improve with experience. You compare how he has played last season to how he played when he first came in and there's a marked improvement. That's what you get with youngsters. Schneiderlin seems to be everyone's cup of tea as "the player" that we should have signed.
Well what was he doing at the same age? He was playing championship football for Southampton. Look where he is now yet here we are with a number of people saying he should be dropped and that he will never get us to where we want to be. I think that is frankly a load of ****e.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A lot of Eriksen's goals were out of nothing for example, ditto for Kane. If we were to lose any of the 3 through injury or through selling them, we would notice the difference instantly. I'm not sure if the same could be said for Mason or Bentaleb.

I don't think think dropping him for one game would be the worst thing in the world, Eriksen has been dropped, Lamela has been dropped, no reason why Bentaleb shouldn't be after a bad performance.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A lot of Eriksen's goals were out of nothing for example, ditto for Kane. If we were to lose any of the 3 through injury or through selling them, we would notice the difference instantly. I'm not sure if the same could be said for Mason or Bentaleb.

I don't think think dropping him for one game would be the worst thing in the world, Eriksen has been dropped, Lamela has been dropped, no reason why Bentaleb shouldn't be after a bad performance.

Happy to! Every team has players that can create something for nothing, and take 3 players away from any team and they will not be as good!

As for being dropped, I don't see a problem with him being dropped for one game. I must have misunderstood, because I thought the point was that he should be replaced with a more experienced head.

Happy to! Every team has players that can create something for nothing, and take 3 players away from any team and they will not be as good!

As for being dropped, I don't see a problem with him being dropped for one game. I must have misunderstood, because I thought the point was that he should be replaced with a more experienced head.

I believe that one of Mason or Bentaleb needs to be upgraded on, my personal opinion is that Bentaleb is the better of the two, but I don't share a lot posters optimism with regards to him being the lynchpin of our midfield for years to come. Granted he's young, but I haven't seen much to indicate he is going to be that.

I believe that one of Mason or Bentaleb needs to be upgraded on, my personal opinion is that Bentaleb is the better of the two, but I don't share a lot posters optimism with regards to him being the lynchpin of our midfield for years to come. Granted he's young, but I haven't seen much to indicate he is going to be that.

I respect that but truly hope that you are wrong!

Back