• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

Good for him, was that his debut or had he already played for them?

Good for him, was that his debut or had he already played for them?

Already played in a friendly or two earlier this year after he chose to represent Algeria at some point this winter/spring.

Good to see him get a goal, should ensure him plenty of playing time in the World Cup I'd guess.

Already played in a friendly or two earlier this year after he chose to represent Algeria at some point this winter/spring.

Good to see him get a goal, should ensure him plenty of playing time in the World Cup I'd guess.

Yup, very excited to see him perform at a top level - reckon he will be in his element....

Exclusive: Nabil Bentaleb admits he is pinching himself as his rapid rise to prominence culminates in a World Cup campaign.

The 19-year-old was virtually unknown at the start of December but, when Tim Sherwood became Tottenham’s head coach, the new boss immediately promoted Bentaleb from the club’s academy.

The midfielder featured in 19 of Sherwood’s first 22 games in charge of Spurs, including nine starts, bringing him to the attention of a few national teams.

Bentaleb was born in Lille, France, to Algerian parents and had made one appearance for France’s Under-19s in November 2012, while England’s five-year residency rules meant he would have been eligible to play for the Three Lions in 2017.

The battle for Bentaleb’s allegiance did not last long. He committed himself to Algeria in February and appeared for the Desert Foxes in a friendly against Slovenia on March 5.

Bentaleb admits he is stunned to be heading to Brazil, and insists he was not promised a spot at this summer’s World Cup during his deliberations.

“Of course, at the start of this season, I never dreamed that I might go to the World Cup. I was still in the reserves, so it’s been good progress!” he said.

“I thought a lot about it and I decided to make the choice that my heart was telling me and that was Algeria. All my family’s from Algeria and I’m half Algerian as well.

“Did I feel I’d been overlooked by France in the past? Not really, I didn’t think about that because you have to look at the future. You have to think long-term, not short-term. It has nothing to do with that.

“The manager [Vahid Halilhodzic] didn’t tell me anything about the World Cup. He’s a very honest man and he told me before I even picked Algeria that if I wanted to play in the World Cup I would have to fight for my place. He didn’t promise me anything.

“We are outsiders but we’re not going there just to play, we want to do something.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/spurs_youngster_bentaleb_s_pinching_himself_ahead_of_world_cup_with_algeria_1_3630253

If he is still with us and not sent out on loan somewhere it will be interesting to see how his game develops next season. His game is largely based on orchestrating moves and retaining possession, Sherwood' direct approach did not suit his game in the slightest but with a manager that is willing to boss games through possession we should see Bentalab's attributes flourish more so.

If he is still with us and not sent out on loan somewhere it will be interesting to see how his game develops next season. His game is largely based on orchestrating moves and retaining possession, Sherwood' direct approach did not suit his game in the slightest but with a manager that is willing to boss games through possession we should see Bentalab's attributes flourish more so.

Yet he owes his place at the World Cup to Sherwood, who signed him and then exposed his talents.

Anyone got a Vine of his goal?

[video=youtube;AWjhKBt5q6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjhKBt5q6A[/video]

Cracking goal son !

All kicked off before, during and after the game, plenty of car horns all night long as well, don't think Algeria will be invited back to play in Geneva too soon.

Hello (from Algeria)

Thank you for having brought us such a talented player. He is impressing all people in Algeria starting from the national coach.
FYI he is the 9th youngest player to take part in this WC, but maybe the youngest one to secure a spot in the starting 11 (If Sterling does not with England).

Summary of his game against Romania (2 days ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6V-KjY_8dI

Another Tottenham Player was involved in this friendly: Chichires (Romania)

PS: note that he is used as a Left box to box midfielder and not a central defensive midfielder.

Cheers for sharing Algeria and welcome to the board.

I think a lot of Spurs fans will keep an extra eye with Algeria this summer because of Bentaleb, I know I will. Best of luck with the World Cup! :)

Welcome to the board Algeria. Bentaleb played further forwards for our development squad. It seems like he might be quite a versatile player. Good luck for the World Cup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fapatalk

Hello (from Algeria)

Thank you for having brought us such a talented player. He is impressing all people in Algeria starting from the national coach.
FYI he is the 9th youngest player to take part in this WC, but maybe the youngest one to secure a spot in the starting 11 (If Sterling does not with England).

Summary of his game against Romania (2 days ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6V-KjY_8dI

Another Tottenham Player was involved in this friendly: Chichires (Romania)

PS: note that he is used as a Left box to box midfielder and not a central defensive midfielder.
Sherwoods decision to deploy him as a defensive mid in certain games was quite bizzare.

Sherwoods decision to deploy him as a defensive mid in certain games was quite bizzare.

I think he wanted him to do what dembele does but with end product.
But those games were so disjointed who knows!!

It like to see him on the left of midfield or a front three

i don't think sherwood ever intended to deploy him as a defensive mid, but bentaleb dropped back there to play his collect-and-pass game, which he couldn't do effectively higher up the pitch.

i don't think sherwood ever intended to deploy him as a defensive mid, but bentaleb dropped back there to play his collect-and-pass game, which he couldn't do effectively higher up the pitch.

Didn't sherwood say he didn't see the need for a designated defensive midfielder in the modern game? In which case I agree that it is unlikely that is how he intended to use bentaleb. I thought he was meant to be a deep lying playmaker which is different from an out and out dm.

Didn't sherwood say he didn't see the need for a designated defensive midfielder in the modern game? In which case I agree that it is unlikely that is how he intended to use bentaleb. I thought he was meant to be a deep lying playmaker which is different from an out and out dm.

I think it was Les Ferdinand who said that, or words to a not entirely dissimilar effect.

Yeah, Sherwood was quite obviously searching for someone that could do that deep lying playmaker role. Played quite a few players in a central/deep-ish role to try to fill that gap.

Others that actually get a chance to watch the youth teams might correct me here, but I was under the impression that Bentaleb had played that role for the U21 team?

did plenty of passes, Bentaleb, but had very little penetration with him around too. did he do better in a box to box role for algeria?

Back