• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

This seems to be a fairly common view, and certainly it's a good midfield partnership. I remain concerned that in terms of passing that's a fairly poor partnership.

Apart from Chelsea under Mourinho (who had one of the best target men in the league in Drogba and used him a lot) which top teams have been successful with a midfield partnership that's as limited as those two in terms of passing and passing tempo?

Agreed. So far this season:

Bentaleb is completing 72 passes per 90 minutes
Dembele is completing 53 passes per 90 minutes
Sandro is completing 47 passes per 90 minutes
Paulinho is completing 42 passes per 90 minutes

Compared to the other top teams:

Arteta is completing 72 passes per 90 minutes
Yaya is completing 68 passes per 90 minutes
Carrick is completing 65 passes per 90 minutes
Ramsey is completing 64 passes per 90 minutes
Lucas is completing 63 passes per 90 minutes
Gerrard is completing 62 passes per 90 minutes
Barry is completing 60 passes per 90 minutes
Cleverley is completing 60 passes per 90 minutes
Fernandinho is completing 50 passes per 90 minutes
Lampard is completing 48 passes per 90 minutes
McCarthy is completing 47 passes per 90 minutes
Ramires is completing 42 passes per 90 minutes

Are you being purposefully hyperbolic here?

I like the wonky and like Eriksen on the left of a 4-4-2, for now I think it's where he should play if we play with two strikers.

It worked well when we used Modric there....

Twitter / Squawka: Nabil Bentaleb completed more passes (97) than any other player on show in the EPL this weekend.

BdzT8KNCcAAbGmW.jpg:large

if ever a performer made me feel completely secure on the way to judge a real talents its this guy

bentaleb is the guy

and thanks to Tim for playing him.

seems like he was right in playing people he trusts from time to time. cant believe some people gave him stick for that. just desperate to find fault

if ever a performer made me feel completely secure on the way to judge a real talents its this guy

bentaleb is the guy

and thanks to Tim for playing him.

seems like he was right in playing people he trusts from time to time. cant believe some people gave him stick for that. just desperate to find fault

I agree completely.

Whatever it is Bentaleb has it.

Obviously being this secure doesn't mean I can't be wrong :) But Bentaleb truly looks a bit special.

Agreed. So far this season:

Bentaleb is completing 72 passes per 90 minutes
Dembele is completing 53 passes per 90 minutes
Sandro is completing 47 passes per 90 minutes
Paulinho is completing 42 passes per 90 minutes

Compared to the other top teams:

Arteta is completing 72 passes per 90 minutes
Yaya is completing 68 passes per 90 minutes
Carrick is completing 65 passes per 90 minutes
Ramsey is completing 64 passes per 90 minutes
Lucas is completing 63 passes per 90 minutes
Gerrard is completing 62 passes per 90 minutes
Barry is completing 60 passes per 90 minutes
Cleverley is completing 60 passes per 90 minutes
Fernandinho is completing 50 passes per 90 minutes
Lampard is completing 48 passes per 90 minutes
McCarthy is completing 47 passes per 90 minutes
Ramires is completing 42 passes per 90 minutes

What are you trying to prove with those stats? I'd argue that the majority in that list are better than Bentaleb and far more influential. Take Ramires who is bottom of that list, he's an absolute star who really imposes himself in games with good positioning, energy, driving runs and a few goals as well and is arguably their most important midfielder yet going by those stats you wouldn't know it. Just an illustration of how stats can only show one side of things.

I agree completely.

Whatever it is Bentaleb has it.

Obviously being this secure doesn't mean I can't be wrong :) But Bentaleb truly looks a bit special.

if Tim sherwood doesnt make it past the summer then he can be proud of this

cause i'll tell you something....players like bentaleb (talent , composure , strong mindest) get lost in the shuffle sometimes and end up with **** careers just because they weren't given exposure at the right time

i actually feel that ryan mason and adam smith were two such players that could have had decent top flight careers but alas no chance to show case

What are you trying to prove with those stats? I'd argue that the majority in that list are better than Bentaleb and far more influential. Take Ramires who is bottom of that list, he's an absolute star who really imposes himself in games with good positioning, energy, driving runs and a few goals as well and is arguably their most important midfielder yet going by those stats you wouldn't know it. Just an illustration of how stats can only show one side of things.

it shows he's in good company and a very rare specialty / ability.

i thought thats what they were trying to show with the stats personally

See his post in relation to my post that he quoted and I think some of your questions are answered. And another question is asked.

I don't think Steve is trying to prove something with those stats, look at the complete absence of conclusions in his post. It's used to illustrate a point, in this case further illustrate the point I made. Responding with "it's just stats, what are you trying to prove" doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Do you think our passing and passing tempo has been good enough with the central midfielders used before Sherwood?

Do you think a deep playmaker style central midfielder can be vital to a lot of top teams?

cause i'll tell you something....players like bentaleb (talent , composure , strong mindest) get lost in the shuffle sometimes and end up with **** careers just because they weren't given exposure at the right time

i actually feel that ryan mason and adam smith were two such players that could have had decent top flight careers but alas no chance to show case

I agree. He's also shown that him using Bentaleb was more than just an attempt to distance himself from AVB. He's been using Bentaleb more after getting the job permanently and a couple of weeks passing, not less.

I agree that players need exposure, but with the kind of performance he's been able to put in I feel he would have gotten that somewhere at some point anyway.

I completely agree.

Another sign of how highly rated he is within the club is that he's been given a contract until 2018.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-deal-for-nabil-211013/

Not entirely sure how the maths works on a 4 year contract signed in October 2013 lasting until 2018 works, but either way he's clearly been highly rated as this was before he was even in a first team squad. I don't think we go handing out 4 year contracts to just about anyone.

See his post in relation to my post that he quoted and I think some of your questions are answered. And another question is asked.

I don't think Steve is trying to prove something with those stats, look at the complete absence of conclusions in his post. It's used to illustrate a point, in this case further illustrate the point I made. Responding with "it's just stats, what are you trying to prove" doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Do you think our passing and passing tempo has been good enough with the central midfielders used before Sherwood?

Do you think a deep playmaker style central midfielder can be vital to a lot of top teams?

I agree. He's also shown that him using Bentaleb was more than just an attempt to distance himself from AVB. He's been using Bentaleb more after getting the job permanently and a couple of weeks passing, not less.

I agree that players need exposure, but with the kind of performance he's been able to put in I feel he would have gotten that somewhere at some point anyway.

i dont believe that necessarily, it didnt look one bit like AVB would give him a chance, he'd rather complain about not getting his 25 million pound player

you say this that talent will always be given and opportunity

do you remember kasim? or el-hamdoui?

i personally watched those guys live in youth and reserve games (back when i was actually interested in football...*he sheds a tear*) and i swear both of them could have had MUCH better careers than whats happened to them so far

both talented in their respective positions but the right stage just doesnt manifest and you have to earn your bones somewhere else where you dont stand out cause your style just doesnt fit in with where you are playing (leon britton, alex bruce)

Another sign of how highly rated he is within the club is that he's been given a contract until 2018.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-deal-for-nabil-211013/

Not entirely sure how the maths works on a 4 year contract signed in October 2013 lasting until 2018 works, but either way he's clearly been highly rated as this was before he was even in a first team squad. I don't think we go handing out 4 year contracts to just about anyone.

actually i think we do if we think we can command a fee.

essentially when you get old enough to have a contract we offer them to players .....so that we can get a fee. the 4 year just means we can get something for the next four years i would have thought..but also does add credence to the idea that they valued him alot

So are we saying that right now, in a 4-4-2 when we are playing one if the top teams (say top 7) and there is a straight choice between playing Bentaleb or Capoue, we should play Bentaleb?

Forget scoring, he rarely got himself in goalscoring positions when he's played centrally.

He's getting in these positions now because he has licence to drift around, to roam. It harder to mark the run of a left sided player coming in field then it is if he started in a central position, hence him picking up some great positions.

At Arsenal he got into zero scoring positions? hmmmmm minus the 1 on 1 where he should have buried it you mean?

And then it is open season to **** of Rose who is being attacked down his flank continually with no protection or support

So are we saying that right now, in a 4-4-2 when we are playing one if the top teams (say top 7) and there is a straight choice between playing Bentaleb or Capoue, we should play Bentaleb?

I would go with Sandro myself

And then it is open season to **** of Rose who is being attacked down his flank continually with no protection or support

Drop Soldado, play Eriksen on the left of a front 3. Sandro in, full-backs protected. Boom.

----------lloris
walker--dawson--vert--rose
---------sandro
-----bentaleb---paulinho/dembele
-lennon/lamela--ade---eriksen

I like that Dza, though think we would need someone who is guarenteed to get into goal scoring positions and score in that right wing spot.

I like that Dza, though think we would need someone who is guarenteed to get into goal scoring positions and score in that right wing spot.

Maybe Lamela can get that spot and do what he did at Roma.

Not trying to be nasty, but I sort of hope that Soldado gets a mild injury, something that takes him out of 3 or 4 games...and then Sherwood might be forced into picking a certain type of team and stumbling on to something better. He might be strong enough to drop him anyway, not sure.

Back