• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

I said in the OMT that "Benteleb is good when in possession of the ball". I didn't want to be harsh on the kid or appear overly critical but bad positioning when not in possession was what i was implying. Certainly improved second half though.

I mentioned the same thing. He's got a lot to learn and can only do that through playing time. Going to be tough with so many options in midfield. Even Tom Carroll to come back, interesting to see who Tim rates higher

I mentioned the same thing. He's got a lot to learn and can only do that through playing time. Going to be tough with so many options in midfield. Even Tom Carroll to come back, interesting to see who Tim rates higher

No doubt.

It's refreshing to see someone in central midfield whose things to learn isn't passing, movement off the ball, first touch and vision though.

If, as people are saying, he improved just from the first to the second half today that's a great positive sign. Personally I think it's more likely that we as a team didn't function in the first half so obviously Bentaleb as one of two central midfielders looked lost in all of that. When we as a team improved Bentaleb did better.

When Luka Modric first arrived at the club and played in the centre he looked like a player with a lot to learn. Bentaleb is 3-4 years younger than Modric was at that time and with essentially none of the first team experience Modric had from smaller leagues and international football. I do realize this is the kind of comparison that gets people ridiculed at a later time when a previously highly rated youngster ends up being average at best :) But I'm sticking to it!

I know it's a big comparison but I haven't seen good passes out of the midfield like that since Modric left. I mean it too.
Some of the passes he made in behind the opposition full backs and into the feet of the strikers were brilliant, the weighting off the pass to Rose to name just one. He's not a small lad and although not rapid he's no slouch. Honestly think if we keep giving him playing time our investment will pay off. Definately think he's suited to a 433 alongside Sandro and Paulinho for me. Dembele was poor today and definately the bigger problem in the first half.

He has an elegant style to him and is very assured on the ball....with loads to learn when he doesnt have the ball. I think it maybe too early to draw modders comparisons but I like dreams so dont want to kill anyone's......

However for the crucial run-in we need Sandro & Paulie......who should be fresh. Nabil I think will benefit from a season long loan in the not to distant future......If we keep him & carrol progressing nicely we may have our very own Xavi & Iniesta in a few years ;) (tongue in cheek but thats my dream...with a destroyer behind them....maybe Velkovic)

I said in the OMT that "Benteleb is good when in possession of the ball". I didn't want to be harsh on the kid or appear overly critical but bad positioning when not in possession was what i was implying. Certainly improved second half though.

I think it was him that stopped following his man in the build up to the penalty incident, leaving Chiriches with the mess, but it all happened so fast and I was initially just delighted that the Palace player picked the wrong option.

Haha. Text book spurs fans, a kid has a few good games and everyone puts hi. As a starter. Joke. What him playing ahead of Capoue has anything to do with sandro coming back I have no idea.

Sandro is one of our best players. He plays every game. It's sandro and one of dembele/Paulinho (maybe some times both) as our main middle. Other players will get games depending on opposition and fitness obviously, but let's not get ridiculous.

Haha. Text book spurs fans, a kid has a few good games and everyone puts hi. As a starter. Joke. What him playing ahead of Capoue has anything to do with sandro coming back I have no idea.

Sandro is one of our best players. He plays every game. It's sandro and one of dembele/Paulinho (maybe some times both) as our main middle. Other players will get games depending on opposition and fitness obviously, but let's not get ridiculous.

The next thing to happen; Sandro and Pauli/Dembele get picked for the City game; likely all three. Fans on here go crazy when we lose, stating that we should never have dropped Bentaleb as that was why we lost.

At first there was Carrick, then there was Modric, now there is Nabil Bentaleb!

Alright, that's perhaps just a tad premature. He looks a great talent though! And at barely 19 he looks very comfortable playing in the Premier League, under pressure, in a central, deep midfield role. That's rare! I cannot wait to see more of this kid, so far it's been a delight to watch him play football.

Eriksen on Bentaleb after the match:

"When I first came I heard some of the stories of the youth players and it was always him that got mentioned so I knew he was a big talent, and now he shows how good he is and I enjoy playing with him."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287495/video

If that really was as obvious as that wouldn't it be pretty clear that Bentaleb wouldn't have started games ahead of Capoue?

He doesn't deserve to get dropped, but way beyond what he deserves or doesn't (the important thing is the team, not what a player deserves) he gives us something the other central options don't. He gives us passing tempo, he moves the ball with purpose, one and two touch passes that actually make sense. He does this way better than Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue. By offering something different to them at a high level in his passing, and that is something Sherwood has explicitly and repeatedly stated that is a priority, he puts himself in contention for sure.

He crossed the 100 attempted passes mark today, I would be surprised if anyone can name a player doing that for us in a league game since Modric left. That in itself isn't a big whoop, anyone can make useless backwards passes if given the ball. But Bentaleb did so with some purpose and intelligence, what's more he got the ball by moving into space and wanting the ball much more than any other of our 4 "big" central midfield players have this season.

http://epl.squawka.com/tottenham-ho...-2014/english-barclays-premier-league/matches

In the first half of football where we were outclassed Bentaleb completed 48 out of 52 attempted passes. We might have been dominated as a team, but we weren't dominated because of Bentaleb we were dominated despite Bentaleb. If the rest of the players had shown his willingness to move into space and make passes we would have done a hell of a lot better.

Palace were good and played some good football, but it's not like they walked through our central midfield. Most of their chances came by direct balls up to their strikers that our centre backs failed to deal with or from play on the flanks. No doubt young Bentaleb wasn't as good defensively as Sandro, most likely he never will be, but that's not his game. His game is the Spurs game, he's at his best when we have possession and he makes us a better team when in possession.

He was not outclassed today, in the first half he was the only positive (apart from us somehow not conceding). He wasn't even outclassed against Arsenal, outnumbered - yes, but not outclassed.

Edit: Just to add, on the point of completing 48 out of 52 passes in that first half. We've seen matches this season (and previous) where none of our (sometimes 3) central midfielders have managed that in entire games. Bentaleb did that in 45 minutes, in a game where we were outplayed. Now, passes completed isn't the end all be all of stats, it's just one piece of information. But it certainly says something about willingness to get involved and movement. Both things we've lacked throughout this season I think.

I think you are wrong there. In the first half loads of their chances / possession came right in front of the cbs where they got time and space to run directly at them. In my mind that's the area he should be patrolling and cutting the play out of if he's the one playing deeper.

Passing it around is nice but you still have to keep it tight in that back third, cut of the runs, be positionally aware, press at the right times etc and none of that was happening.

As I say, promising but lots to learn.

Looks to be a cracking player however the midfield is about balance. Including Bentaleb is having a detrimental effect on the team. Dembele is required to track back more and is thus making challenges in his own box which is not his strong point. Dembele & Bentaleb is not a central midfield pairing that works and do we drop Dembele?

ForsakenPettyGnu.gif

Looks to be a cracking player however the midfield is about balance. Including Bentaleb is having a detrimental effect on the team. Dembele is required to track back more and is thus making challenges in his own box which is not his strong point. Dembele & Bentaleb is not a central midfield pairing that works and do we drop Dembele?

Ideally.

That was a joy to watch, finally some of the Tottenham way =D>

The kid was everywhere yesterday, whether he was pressing, tackling, being part of the build play or a counter he just seemed so comfortable and natural. It's very long and bumpy road for this kid but for me he really does have the makings of a very good player

He needs to start hurting teams with his passing. Other than that top talent. Not convinced he'll be boss though

He looks like a very good prospect

However, he got away with that back heal - palace player very nearly intercepted it and it is not the kind of ball to be playing in cm.

Which posters is this aimed at?

Capoue and Sandro are similar type players, Bentaleb is different to both of them. Sherwood preferring Bentaleb to Capoue tells us something about the player types Sherwood wants in his team I think.

He's a young player and his form is likely to fluctuate, we obviously shouldn't make him an automatic starter, but as long as he's performing like he's been doing now he's in with a shout to start in most games I think. Especially seeing as we have no other player with his skill set.

The next thing to happen; Sandro and Pauli/Dembele get picked for the City game; likely all three. Fans on here go crazy when we lose, stating that we should never have dropped Bentaleb as that was why we lost.

We'll see...

It is about balance. And our midfield with 2 out of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue as the deep midfielders has been distinctly unbalanced. We've had a lot of running, tackling and physical strength, but very little passing tempo, movement, proper first touches etc. We've lacked a deep playmaker since Modric left and Bentaleb is showing himself as very capable in that role.

To rectify this lack of balance Sherwood has tried Sigurdsson, Holtby and Eriksen as central midfielders in addition to Bentaleb. For now Bentaleb is emerging as the best option if we want a passer in central midfield. I want a passer in central midfield, I can't think of many successful top team without one.

TBH Bentaleb showed he was something completely different to all of our other central players yesterday in that he kept the tempo. At 19 he is still learning and his defensive positioning will be suspect but that's all part of learning the trade, very few players if any at his age will be positioned right all the time. A 3 man midfield with him in will do well, because he can be the link that we need.

So far we have played many combinations in midfield and none have looked balanced. We have played Dembele/Paulinho/Capoue and been out manoeuvred, Sandro/Capoue + Dembele/Paulinho + Eriksen looked good at times but we lacked the passing ability from deep with Eriksen being expected to sit just up behind the front man. There are others, but the point i'm making is that no matter who has filled in there, we have looked disjointed. It may have had something to do with the old system, but I'd be inclined to say it was both an issue of personel as well. Bentaleb whilst being young can be the player sitting alongside Capoue/Sandro that keeps it all ticking over. I don't agree with him playing in a two man midfield alongside Dembele because neither are good enough defensively, both require someone deeper to free them up.

Which posters is this aimed at?

Capoue and Sandro are similar type players, Bentaleb is different to both of them. Sherwood preferring Bentaleb to Capoue tells us something about the player types Sherwood wants in his team I think.

He's a young player and his form is likely to fluctuate, we obviously shouldn't make him an automatic starter, but as long as he's performing like he's been doing now he's in with a shout to start in most games I think. Especially seeing as we have no other player with his skill set.

We'll see...

It is about balance. And our midfield with 2 out of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue as the deep midfielders has been distinctly unbalanced. We've had a lot of running, tackling and physical strength, but very little passing tempo, movement, proper first touches etc. We've lacked a deep playmaker since Modric left and Bentaleb is showing himself as very capable in that role.

To rectify this lack of balance Sherwood has tried Sigurdsson, Holtby and Eriksen as central midfielders in addition to Bentaleb. For now Bentaleb is emerging as the best option if we want a passer in central midfield. I want a passer in central midfield, I can't think of many successful top team without one.

You say that as though Capoue is a clogger yet in his first few games at the beginning of the season when fully fit and in his favoured role he was arguably our most impressive performer. He looked powerful, well disciplined, good positionally and able to play decent short and long passes.

Since then he's got injured, dumped in at CB, comments in the press that could have a negative effect and then not given another run of games in his favoured position. He has shown he can perform in there and has caps for France ffs, he should be given some gametime in the middle.

You say that as though Capoue is a clogger yet in his first few games at the beginning of the season when fully fit and in his favoured role he was arguably our most impressive performer. He looked powerful, well disciplined, good positionally and able to play decent short and long passes.

Since then he's got injured, dumped in at CB, comments in the press that could have a negative effect and then not given another run of games in his favoured position. He has shown he can perform in there and has caps for France ffs, he should be given some gametime in the middle.

From what I remember of Capoue's first few games his passing was never better than erratic, his shooting downright awful and he got completely taken out on more than one occasion, leaving our defence exposed.

Back