• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Have a look in the match and Aurier threads, plenty of people slating him, a fair few with a degree of hyperbole - shouldnt you lot be mobilising to his defense?

Of course not, its only Sissoko that gets the special protected status ;O)

Hyperbole? Are you serious? Did you actually see the match? I take it you haven't because if you did you would agree that no level of criticism can be sufficient for the worst performance I have seen from a Sours player in recent years!!!

I didnt, as noted in the match thread. Had better things to do, and sounds like I made the right call.

Either way, there are those able to critique in a measured way, and there are those that are much more - shall we say - excitable?

Very much like with Sissoko, so Im guessing you and your gang should be leaping to his defense...

I didnt, as noted in the match thread. Had better things to do, and sounds like I made the right call.

Either way, there are those able to critique in a measured way, and there are those that are much more - shall we say - excitable?

Very much like with Sissoko, so Im guessing you and your gang should be leaping to his defense...

When Sissoko:
- plays the mother of all stinkers
- cannot be arsed to keep up with his player
- doesn't produce a single decent cross all match
- performs a premiership first hat-tricks of foul throws
- misses an empty goal from one yard out

after he almost single handedly cost us a memorable Champion League comeback with a rash, brain fart, penalty

I will be the first to critique him in anything but a measured manner....

When Sissoko:
- plays the mother of all stinkers
- cannot be arsed to keep up with his player
- doesn't produce a single decent cross all match
- performs a premiership first hat-tricks of foul throws
- misses an empty goal from one yard out

after he almost single handedly cost us a memorable Champion League comeback with a rash, brain fart, penalty

I will be the first to critique him in anything but a measured manner....

Sissoko has had stinkers, has let players run off him, can barely pass half the time let alone reliably cross and has certainly missed very presentable chances - so is he really that far removed?

Let me help you, Ive seen how it works:
  • Aurier hasnt been here a season and a half, how can we possibly expect him to be up to speed yet?
  • Aurier has special talents nobody else can see but Poch.
  • Aurier has played lots so that must mean he is good.
  • Aurier shouldnt be judged by the same criteria as other players.
  • You cant expect Aurier to do whatever it is you are slating him for not doing.
  • You are all biased, every one of you, except the few "reasonable" posters willing to defend him. Even though we are in the vast minority, we shouldnt re-think where we stand on this...
Surely you would be displaying some double standard if you dont take this argument to the haters right away!?

Not reeeeeeeeally sure how Aurier is entirely relevant here. Aurier gets slated because of missing open goals or going to ground too easily to give away a penalty when it was obvious it was going to happen...these are very obvious mistakes that wind people up when they could cost us our CL run or crucial points in the league.

Sissoko will have a perfectly fine game and still be accused of being poor, awful, spazzing the ball out of play or punting it to his team mates. The criticism is most of the time unjustified and way over the top, but if he did what Aurier did, or anything similar, he would get criticised for it. The debate with Sissoko from anyone defending him is that he always takes too much criticism relative to how he actually performed and compared to the rest of the squad. Aurier doing indefensible things that if you asked him he would agree were bad mistakes is not a relevant aspect to the discussion.

That last bullet point is hilarious though @nayimfromthehalfwayline , ‘we should rethink our position on this’. You are SO sure that the position of ‘Sissoko takes too much criticism relative to the team and compared to what his performance deserves’ is sooooo wildly out of whack with reality that you have to say something like that. Well, if Scara, Nifel and Nayim think something about football then it must be correct!!

Seriously mate, I don’t know why you waste your time still trying to engage. There are those saying he is simply awful no matter how he actually plays and they will continue to do so - it’s boring, and just pointless even trying to engage in a debate on the subject....

Yeah I’m not really sure, I think I just enjoy being called mad for having perfectly reasonable opinions!

But overall I feel like Sissoko deserves it, just because of the unjust criticism he has to take. And it’s actually very easy to defend him when the position to take is ‘he isn’t as bad as the ludicrous level of criticism a lot of fans give him suggests’ because it’s so obviously a reasonable position. I mean, one of our opponents had a professional scouting report leaked. You’d think if Sissoko was this laughably bad player that adds absolutely no value to our team, who can’t even control or pass a football, there would have been some mention of it on that. Maybe bold and underlined, ‘TARGET SISSOKO BECAUSE HE IS RUBBISH!!’, but there wasn’t, was there? A line praising his part in our fluidity, and that was pretty much that.

Not reeeeeeeeally sure how Aurier is entirely relevant here. Aurier gets slated because of missing open goals or going to ground too easily to give away a penalty when it was obvious it was going to happen...these are very obvious mistakes that wind people up when they could cost us our CL run or crucial points in the league.

Sissoko will have a perfectly fine game and still be accused of being poor, awful, spazzing the ball out of play or punting it to his team mates. The criticism is most of the time unjustified and way over the top, but if he did what Aurier did, or anything similar, he would get criticised for it. The debate with Sissoko from anyone defending him is that he always takes too much criticism relative to how he actually performed and compared to the rest of the squad. Aurier doing indefensible things that if you asked him he would agree were bad mistakes is not a relevant aspect to the discussion.

That last bullet point is hilarious though @nayimfromthehalfwayline , ‘we should rethink our position on this’. You are SO sure that the position of ‘Sissoko takes too much criticism relative to the team and compared to what his performance deserves’ is sooooo wildly out of whack with reality that you have to say something like that. Well, if Scara, Nifel and Nayim think something about football then it must be correct!!

And there you were yesterday being defensive about being facaetious...

I am very sure that your overt protection of him is not relative to what he deserves.

Yes, some of the language around him is OTT, but the actual point and intention is not. And I think, to be honest, it becomes OTT because of the regularity with which it comes up. Its like... AGAIN?! He is an incredibly frustrating player.

Im clearly taking the tinkle above, but not entirely - those arguments are the exact sort of nonsense youve been bringing up to defend him.

The parody has a point - read it - and then tell me you really havent backed yourself into a corner and gone more and more to an extreme to defend him.

And, really, does he deserve it? At his best he is "not actively bad". That isnt a player that warrants such feverish devotion.

Ive said it a dozen times, but Im not invested in him being bad. If he starts playing incredible football, Ill be delighted. Its not like there is anything to gain for me from him being bad, Id love him to pick up his form. By now, I dont see it happening, but Id love it.

As it is, I maintain - he just isnt good enough. And it shows every time he plays.

Why the campaign then? Why with the merest mention of him are you charging in to defend his honour? Why has the argument got so desperate as "well Poch plays him instead of youth players so he must be really good!" and "He does a job only Poch and I can see, but you arent enlightened enough to get it!"

You go on like people are just hammering him without any justification, yet every criticism Ive seen has had a fair point.

Yes, like I said, some use more colourful language, though honestly I think its just to wind you up and watch you go. Underlying it is a fair point.

Difference between Sissoko and Aurier, is we can do better than Sissoko, but he does a job. Aurier is a liability who is detrimental to the team/results.

Difference between Sissoko and Aurier, is we can do better than Sissoko, but he does a job. Aurier is a liability who is detrimental to the team/results.

Sissoko can 'do a job'. Some would argue not football, but I don't mind him as a squad player. He's powerful, experienced, and a useful squad player. If we're offered £20m+ I'm sure we'll sell him though.

Aurier needs some time. First season in a new league, he needs a couple of years to tighten up his defensive game. I think he will. Going forward his unpredictability is an asset. He may not have swung in perfect crossed against palarse but he adds to attacks and will get better as he settles imo.

Another difference is age. Another is experience in the league. Another is experience at the club.

I'm not Aurier's biggest fan. I've been wanting Trippier as first choice for a long time. But I can definitely see him improve going into next season. If Pochettino trusts him to improve I will be fine with that.

Sissoko seems to be performing at his level at the moment, I think there's less room for improvement. And fewer indications that improvement is likely.

Back