• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Anyone who suggest we should sell Dembele needs their heads checked imo.

He is one of the few that has the natural abilty to ghost past players at will; imagine if he was English:eek:

I just think (hope?) he's going through a bad confidence patch and is NOT sticking to instructions that have led him to be less attacking and incisive in his play.

I've just seen this video on youtube, but it reminded me of the old Dembele, the one the majority of us fell in love with, that one who would win the ball back with strength, the one who would take on a man and move forward with the ball, pass forward, rarely lose the ball etc.

[video=youtube;JwfR0DD0iHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfR0DD0iHA[/video]

Yeah, it shows nicely what we know pretty well... his ability to beat opponents (often with nothing more than extremely instinctive, clever manipulation of his body/the ball that is IMO Iniesta/Zidane-like - not kidding) is absolutely immense... love the way he owned Rat Face Willshere with that body swervee!! The way this dude can use this, along with his ridiculous touch, to retain possession in just about any part of the pitch is staggering. That Liverpool away game last year was one of the highlights for me - he was insane in that match.

But it also shows my frustrations with him. I'm in the camp that he could be so much more. Watch a lot of those clips and you see Dembele beating people for fun while ahead of him and off the ball you see our players making runs... quite often, Dembele could easily have released the ball and we'd have been in. Those early, direct, piercing balls at 2:02 and 2:40 (both times to Ade funnily enough) as well as the way he mugged off Scholes or Carrick or someone to set up Bale with a middle of the pitch bal are examples of when he did see and make the pass... and we get chances as a result.

Added to that, his goals against Norwich/Lyon show exactly the potential he has to use his skills to devastating effect. Gutted we don't see this enough, although I know it's because he's often used deeper and has been a lot this year. In respect to whether we push him up ... I just don't know if he was pushed further up whether he can combine his tekkers with the speed of decision-making to become that devastatingly effective on a regular basis (he should be looking at 5-10 goals a year IMO). Especially as we have other players more well suited to that.

Dembele is a curious player. He's class, I love watching him play, and I also trust him massively in big games - he has no fear of any CM he comes up against. Just think he could be 'top, top' if he added one or both of the above factors to his game on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
Yeah, it shows nicely what we know pretty well... his ability to beat opponents (often with nothing more than extremely instinctive, clever manipulation of his body/the ball that is IMO Iniesta/Zidane-like - not kidding) is absolutely immense... love the way he owned Rat Face Willshere with that body swervee!! The way this dude can use this, along with his ridiculous touch, to retain possession in just about any part of the pitch is staggering. That Liverpool away game last year was one of the highlights for me - he was insane in that match.

But it also shows my frustrations with him. I'm in the camp that he could be so much more. Watch a lot of those clips and you see Dembele beating people for fun while ahead of him and off the ball you see our players making runs... quite often, Dembele could easily have released the ball and we'd have been in. Those early, direct, piercing balls at 2:02 and 2:40 (both times to Ade funnily enough) as well as the way he mugged off Scholes or Carrick or someone to set up Bale with a middle of the pitch bal are examples of when he did see and make the pass... and we get chances as a result.

Added to that, his goals against Norwich/Lyon show exactly the potential he has to use his skills to devastating effect. Gutted we don't see this enough, although I know it's because he's often used deeper and has been a lot this year. In respect to whether we push him up ... I just don't know if he was pushed further up whether he can combine his tekkers with the speed of decision-making to become that devastatingly effective on a regular basis (he should be looking at 5-10 goals a year IMO). Especially as we have other players more well suited to that.

Dembele is a curious player. He's class, I love watching him play, and I also trust him massively in big games - he has no fear of any CM he comes up against. Just think he could be 'top, top' if he added one or both of the above factors to his game on a consistent basis.

I totally agree with this. His reluctance to release an early ball after he has beaten a man is something he really must work on. As you say if he can just add this one thing to his game he will have stepped up to the next level.

The drop the shoulder and skip left trick works way more times than it should. Some are expecting it now but still it works more times than not. To me the move itself is perfect for getting a shot off around the box. Shift it and shoot. The man needs to trust himself a bit more.

I pretty much agree with all that and certainly don't want to move him on. I think this season he is playing under instruction (not unique to him, i imagine all our players are given chapter and verse from AVB) and this has marginalised him to some extent, given his skillset.
It's not easy for AVB either. If we want to play 4-2-3-1 then i'm scratching my head as to where Dembele may best be employed (as i commented way back in this thread). If he doesn't want too many defensive responsibilities then it is a straight choice between him and Pauli, partnering Sandro/Capoue. A bonus for Dembele is that no one can deny that him and Sandro were a formidable partnership, (think we were 442 then.) and Sandro, for me, is the first choice out of all our CM. Pauli/Dembele is the last pairing we should ever have to choose.

I cannot see Dembele playing no 10 role (especially when the game is quite congested) and i feel he is much more suited to facing forward and carrying the ball rather than back to goal. IIRC i'm sure he played on the right in that Liverpool game,(parker,livermore played) i suppose in an early AVB version of an inverted winger!

where did he say he thought himself as an attacking midfielder?

A lot of spurs fans are two bob arn't they. Bet they demand "loyalty" from the players.

It's not about being "two bob." It's about telling it as it is. Too many Spurs fans are completely deluded about the quality of our players. This guy has done nothing since he arrived. He has had zero impact on our results. Just because he plays for Spurs does not mean I'm going to put rose coloured glasses on when evaluating him or any other player.

It's not about being "two bob." It's about telling it as it is. Too many Spurs fans are completely deluded about the quality of our players. This guy has done nothing since he arrived. He has had zero impact on our results. Just because he plays for Spurs does not mean I'm going to put rose coloured glasses on when evaluating him or any other player.

So his partnership with Sandro last year was not a massive positive for the team? and i'm sure he had an 'impact' in the Lyon game.

Second thoughts, best just to state, for the record that Dembele is just a steaming pile of dog sh*te (as all your posts effectively have) and leave the thread as i think your mind is made up. (nothing wrong with that btw;))

I think the moose can rise again....just having a bit of an identity crisis.:)

So his partnership with Sandro last year was not a massive positive for the team? and i'm sure he had an 'impact' in the Lyon game.

Second thoughts, best just to state, for the record that Dembele is just a steaming pile of dog sh*te (as all your posts effectively have) and leave the thread as i think your mind is made up. (nothing wrong with that btw;))

I really hope the Moose can come good and it isn't AVB's shackles that have reduced his effectiveness.

I agree that Dembele and Paulie are not an effective pairing, and if we are to play Sandro/Capoue as the defensive screen, then the other CM will be either Dembele or Paulie. AVB seems to prefer Paulie for his added goal threat. Therefore it is difficult to see where the Moose will fit in if everyone is fit.

Confused also, as I'm reasonably sure his last minute equaliser against Norwich had an 'impact' on the game and result.

--------------------------Siggy---------------------------

Lennon--------Sandro-------------Capoue-------Townsend

---------------Paulinho------------Dembele---------------

Lamela-------------------Holtby-------------------Eriksen

-------------------------Chadli---------------------------

We could play an entire first f*cking eleven comprised entirely of our midfielders alone, and it looks damn good, goalie and striker aside.

Point is, we have the luxury of being able to drop Moussa entirely if need be, to allow him to get his mojo back. And we should consider doing that: send him away until January, let him recharge his batteries and overcome any niggling injuries, before bringing him back in the winter fresh and ready to kick ****. :)

So he scored against Lyon and erm Norwich. I stand corrected,clearly my post was an over statement. However I stand by the fact that he was never that good for Fulham and and has not been very good for us. Technically very gifted, but ultimately a pasenger.

i dont understand him sometimes...he skips past players with ease then makes the wrong passing decision.....even today, skips thru the City midfield, the obvious pass was first to Vertonghen in acres of space attacking down the left but Dembele plays it to someone else and the move breaks down, Verts totally pi$$ed off, and the second occasion Dembele again drives forward and the obvious and correct pass was to Lennon in acres of space on the left and potentially in on goal and Dembele ignores him and passes to someone else and Lennon throws his hands in the air

why Moussa?????

i dont understand him sometimes...he skips past players with ease then makes the wrong passing decision.....even today, skips thru the City midfield, the obvious pass was first to Vertonghen in acres of space attacking down the left but Dembele plays it to someone else and the move breaks down, Verts totally pi$$ed off, and the second occasion Dembele again drives forward and the obvious and correct pass was to Lennon in acres of space on the left and potentially in on goal and Dembele ignores him and passes to someone else and Lennon throws his hands in the air

why Moussa?????

I noticed the Lennon one, was strange, he was clean through.

Moussa appears to have all the physical and technical attributes to be a top drawer midfielder but lacks the vision to play that killer through ball or the confidence to score more than the very occasional goal... maybe a sports psychologist is what he needs... :-k

Paulie is Moussas problem IMO. Moussa just doesn't look comfortable playing with him and Pauli just hasn't delivered ( at least, so far).

Moose looks best when paired with Sandro. He was class when he came on today and took the game to City. He had a good shot, well saved and then set up a good chance for Ade. Those two contributions were more than the whole rest of the team put together IMO.

Paulie is Moussas problem IMO. Moussa just doesn't look comfortable playing with him and Pauli just hasn't delivered ( at least, so far).

Moose looks best when paired with Sandro. He was class when he came on today and took the game to City. He had a good shot, well saved and then set up a good chance for Ade. Those two contributions were more than the whole rest of the team put together IMO.

Agree with this. Said it to my mate who I watched the game with. Moussa and The Beast to start against Man U IMO.

Agree with this. Said it to my mate who I watched the game with. Moussa and The Beast to start against Man U IMO.

Personally, I think when we let Modric go and didnt replace him like for like our midfield regressed, almost everything went through him. The signing i craved last summer was Juan moutinho after a fantastic Euros and when levy fecked that one up we went in for Dembele who was probably second choice. However, having seen him destroy Man U early last season i thought perhaps he could fit in and last season he had a fairly decent one.

This season he has been quiet and i believe AVB has tamed his natural attacking game. Alot of the games ive seen him play at WHL he's been the one picking up the ball and starting the attacks in the holding position but recently he's regressed and passing only sideways and backwards. I believe like today he needs to push on more and paulinho dropped.

Paulinho has defo been the worst signing of the summer. Looks like he's treading water, cant see a pass and hasnt got up to pace. I guess we need to give him more time but so far not been impressed at all. We should have bought someone creative like Pjanic or Alen Halilovic.

Dembele has gone backwards under us and i think he is like jenas but as the guy above says Paulinho has been very poor. Nothing like the player who plays for Brazil seems to have very little skill to me, like that first Brazilian we had Gilberto.

Personally, I think when we let Modric go and didnt replace him like for like our midfield regressed, almost everything went through him. The signing i craved last summer was Juan moutinho after a fantastic Euros and when levy fecked that one up we went in for Dembele who was probably second choice. However, having seen him destroy Man U early last season i thought perhaps he could fit in and last season he had a fairly decent one.

This season he has been quiet and i believe AVB has tamed his natural attacking game. Alot of the games ive seen him play at WHL he's been the one picking up the ball and starting the attacks in the holding position but recently he's regressed and passing only sideways and backwards. I believe like today he needs to push on more and paulinho dropped.

Paulinho has defo been the worst signing of the summer. Looks like he's treading water, cant see a pass and hasnt got up to pace. I guess we need to give him more time but so far not been impressed at all. We should have bought someone creative like Pjanic or Alen Halilovic.

Or we could have had him as back up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VrwM8QNSs

I miss Niko. :(

Back