• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Call BS on that ...

We don't do short contracts, and we could easily sell Dembele in 2-3 years if he started to fade.

Call BS on that ...

We don't do short contracts, and we could easily sell Dembele in 2-3 years if he started to fade.
Depends on his fitness Anand injury issues. Not easy to sell a 30+ player with ongoing injury problems when he's on £100k p/w or more.

A 3 year deal would be a risk. It will depend on how the club sees his injury issues at the moment. If we think there's a good likelihood he's gotten past them I don't think a longer contract will be much of an issue.

If there's a real risk of us paying £10-15m to a player to sit around being injured or unfit most of the time when we could have sold him for £20-25m we could be more cautious. That's a lot of money.

Depends on his fitness Anand injury issues. Not easy to sell a 30+ player with ongoing injury problems when he's on £100k p/w or more.

A 3 year deal would be a risk. It will depend on how the club sees his injury issues at the moment. If we think there's a good likelihood he's gotten past them I don't think a longer contract will be much of an issue.

If there's a real risk of us paying £10-15m to a player to sit around being injured or unfit most of the time when we could have sold him for £20-25m we could be more cautious. That's a lot of money.

Not criticising your post at all, but it has reminded me that it’s funny how fans criticise players for a lack of loyalty, but show virtually no loyalty themselves. Can’t blame players for only looking out for number one when fans and clubs do exactly the same.

Not criticising your post at all, but it has reminded me that it’s funny how fans criticise players for a lack of loyalty, but show virtually no loyalty themselves. Can’t blame players for only looking out for number one when fans and clubs do exactly the same.
I agree that it's a two way street. But it shouldn't be seen as an either or kind of thing. I have no problems with us rewarding some players for their loyalty, up to a point. Not sure Dembele has been all that loyal, or its just that he's found his level with us. I don't think he's rejected a big money move from a huge club. But he's been a loyal enough player for us putting in a lot of work over years. Being rewarded for that with a bit more money over a 2-3 year contract seems fine. Being rewarded for that with a £100k p/w 3-4 year deal seems like stretching it to me.

I expect some loyalty, I get annoyed when there's none. We should offer some loyalty, and we do, but there are limits. We shouldn't expect or offer absolute loyalty.

He's handling the 90 mins fairly regularly now. Maybe his injury issues are behind him since that operation at the start of the season. If so he is worth the 100k.

He's handling the 90 mins fairly regularly now. Maybe his injury issues are behind him since that operation at the start of the season. If so he is worth the 100k.

I agree, but with daft buggers like PSG and City around, a single phone call can turn this into a Tobyone scenario.

I agree, but with daft buggers like PSG and City around, a single phone call can turn this into a Tobyone scenario.
His new contract will be a tough one for us to negotiate given he’s missed around a quarter of the games most seasons with injury but he’s a unique player...wages would have to be appearance based but doped clubs will be happy to pay him a lot more for only playing 3/4 of the games given their deeper squads / unreal budgets anyway!!

His new contract will be a tough one for us to negotiate given he’s missed around a quarter of the games most seasons with injury but he’s a unique player...wages would have to be appearance based but doped clubs will be happy to pay him a lot more for only playing 3/4 of the games given their deeper squads / unreal budgets anyway!!

We're not a pauper club any more, we're likely to break into the top 10 clubs worldwide soon for both revenue and wages.

Dembele is so important to us and as long as his wage demands aren't insane, we should be looking to meet them. They certainly shouldn't be appearance based!

We're not a pauper club any more, we're likely to break into the top 10 clubs worldwide soon for both revenue and wages.

Dembele is so important to us and as long as his wage demands aren't insane, we should be looking to meet them. They certainly shouldn't be appearance based!
It’s not about us being paupers it’s more about us still being a business compared to some of the other members of that top 10.

I guess it depends on the levels of insanity and I’d love him to stay on a purely player level, but if he gets an insane offer of treble what he’s on now then it would be harder to make a case for him topping or busting our new wage structure given the number of appearances we are likely to get from him.

It’s a little nerve wracking to think that post the new stadium we will have so many deals to negotiate, our reasonable flat structure will start to have a much bigger disparity and there will be a couple of regular first team players who won’t be part of that initial elite group for one reason or another.

It’s not about us being paupers it’s more about us still being a business compared to some of the other members of that top 10.

I guess it depends on the levels of insanity and I’d love him to stay on a purely player level, but if he gets an insane offer of treble what he’s on now then it would be harder to make a case for him topping or busting our new wage structure given the number of appearances we are likely to get from him.

It’s a little nerve wracking to think that post the new stadium we will have so many deals to negotiate, our reasonable flat structure will start to have a much bigger disparity and there will be a couple of regular first team players who won’t be part of that initial elite group for one reason or another.

To be honest, I don't mind that.

Obviously these statistics can never be fully accurate but allegedly at Atletico, Costa, Griezsmann, Koke and Godin all earn significantly more than the rest of the squad. Koke and Griezsmann are quite a way ahead of the other 2 as well. This makes sense to me as despite the fact Atletico are an incredible team, who rely so much on the system etc, there are players there in that squad who are clearly far more important than others.

So to be honest, I have no problem with the likes of Kane and Eriksen (for instance) being far out of the others when it comes to wages. As I think they're our two most important players.

Without wishing to beat the same drum...I will. Personally, I have to fully trust Poch here. I think we will need some new blood this summer, and that will mean a few departures. At Xmas I’d have said his injury record would count him out, however I must say that since then he has been tremendous in terms of health and fitness. In Poch I (boringly) trust...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Obviously these statistics can never be fully accurate but allegedly at Atletico, Costa, Griezsmann, Koke and Godin all earn significantly more than the rest of the squad. Koke and Griezsmann are quite a way ahead of the other 2 as well. This makes sense to me as despite the fact Atletico are an incredible team, who rely so much on the system etc, there are players there in that squad who are clearly far more important than others.

So to be honest, I have no problem with the likes of Kane and Eriksen (for instance) being far out of the others when it comes to wages. As I think they're our two most important players.

I’m all over that too. Goons had a flat structure which ended up with a lot of average players earning 100k a week and the elite players who they would struggle to replace getting their heads turned. I actually want Kane earning a lot more than most to reflect what he has delivered and for it to continue with his ongoing loyalty. Eriksen for sure, Jan for his experience and performances would be in that elite group, Alli for his growing value. Would have liked Toby and Moose to be part of that group if it was solely based on first names on the team sheet and ironically Rose would have been on my top 6 for a new deal but by side mouthing off he’s down nothing to warrant it! Dier I could see getting a new deal too, partly as his number of appearances are based on his flexibility and availability throughout the season.

Atletico is not a bad model to follow! Along with Dortmund apart from them selling to their rival
Club!

Last edited:

Would definitely agree with a similar structure of pay with the key players earning a higher a wage for their contribution - I think with the right players it would create a sense of competition. I think we have seen at Arsenal the faults with paying the players rather evenly across the board.

Would definitely agree with a similar structure of pay with the key players earning a higher a wage for their contribution - I think with the right players it would create a sense of competition. I think we have seen at Arsenal the faults with paying the players rather evenly across the board.
Yep a tiered approach seems logical and obvious. I would definitely put Dembele in the band of players behind Kane (who should be at the top on his own IMO). Whatever package they put together might be related to appearances, but I certainly would put him in with about 4-5 other players that should be paid as well as the club can afford as we will find very difficult to replace them with similar quality if they leave.

I think we know that Levy has made his and Poch's standpoint crystal.
If you want silly money, there's the door!

Headline :

Football transfer rumours: Mousa Dembélé to leave Tottenham for Juventus?

Story :

Tottenham Hotspur central midfielder Mousa Dembélé has been one of several players to excel under Mauricio Pochettino in recent seasons and the man hailed as “a genius” by his manager has given players as good as Nemanja Matic, Sami Khedira, and Miralem Pjanic, among many others, plenty to think about since August, making him one of the best in his position in Europe.

With his contract due to expire next season, the 30-year-old Belgian could be forgiven for chasing one final, lucrative contract from a club less parsimonious than his current employers and is likely to have no shortage of suitors, with Juventus believed to be monitoring his situation with interest. Asked about his future earlier this month, Dembélé made the kind of noises that will keep Spurs fans happy but nervous. “At this moment, I am very happy at Tottenham,” he said. “I do not lie when I say that. I do not think about a big transfer. I want to play a World Cup and afterwards we will see.”

I know its in the Rumour section (Guardian) but there literally is no rumour there... odd.

Must admit I thought his days were numbered going by his performances in the first half of the season but he's been different class since around the turn of the year. Still think we need to plan ahead and bring in someone to give him serious competition and inevitably replace him but he's been much better as of late.

He obviously doesnt think he can do it physically anymore with his incurable hip injury

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...to-leave-spurs-move-china-italy-a8308736.html

Mousa Dembele ready to end Tottenham career and move to China as he nears Spurs exit
Jack Pitt-Brooke

Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele is heading for a likely departure this summer.

Dembele turns 31 in July and after his eighth season in English football, he is interested in trying a new league this summer. There are likely to be fresh offers from China and Serie A for him, with China currently thought to be the likeliest destination.

Belgium international Dembele, signed from Fulham in 2012, has just one year left on his Spurs contract and has not agreed a new deal. As reported by the Daily Mirror this morning, Tottenham would now listen to offers for Dembele this summer. Although they would still want a significant transfer fee for a player they signed for £15m six years ago, a fee that would be easier for a Chinese club to pay than an Italian one.

Mauricio Pochettino remains a huge fan of Dembele, repeatedly hailing him as a “genius” this season and saying he was on a level with Ronaldinho and Diego Maradona as the most talented player he has ever worked with.

After a slow start to the season, Dembele has produced some performances of his usual technical and muscular brilliance, especially in home league wins against Arsenal and Manchester United.

But Dembele has only been fit enough to start 20 of Spurs’ 33 Premier League games this season. He decided with the club that he would know at the end of this year if he was fit enough to play next season, the first in the new White Hart Lane, in Pochettino’s system.

With one month of the season left, Dembele is close to deciding that the physical demands of playing in midfield for Spurs mean that it is time to leave. The prospect of a longer and more lucrative contract in China than he would get from Spurs is also naturally part of his thinking.

If Dembele does leave it would deprive Spurs of their midfield lynchpin and one of the most improved players of the Pochettino era. It would also force Spurs into the transfer market this summer, with Fernando Llorente, Toby Alderweireld and Danny Rose also facing potential departures and Erik Lamela going into the last year of his contract. Moussa Sissoko, however, is expected to stay after impressing Pochettino with his attitude this season.

Would prefer we kept him over Sissoko!

Dembele just works well with the forward players. He opens space for Eriksen, Lamela, Moura to work in. Even playing only half the games, I think we should keep him. He can dominate the midfield. We don't have another like him. Wanyama has potental, but Dembele has another year at least in him imo. If we are offered £30m+ of course we'll probably take it. But it will be sad to see the big guy go.

Back