• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Do you agree that he has stepped up a level this season?

Id say he looks fitter and he is also getting more games. We're also playing more as a team that suits someone like him who is playing a defensive creative role (if that's possible)

Do you agree that he has stepped up a level this season?

Yea, I've said that a few times in this thread. I just don't think he was as bad as some made him out to be before this season. Remember a lot wanted him sold in Aug. I said that if Poch didn't rate him and wouldn't play him then take the 10+m offers that were available, but were I the manager he'd have been one of the first in my team.

i think it may be the options he has to pass to helped in that respect? We've improved in an attacking sense since the AVB days IMO.

Possibly, however I'm sure that was the reason the majority of posters who were frustrated with Dembele would cite - it's certainly what I remember being the case at the time.

Don't think many questioned his ability, more his application.

Yea, I've said that a few times in this thread. I just don't think he was as bad as some made him out to be before this season. Remember a lot wanted him sold in Aug. I said that if Poch didn't rate him and wouldn't play him then take the 10+m offers that were available, but were I the manager he'd have been one of the first in my team.

I don't think that anyone made him out to be as bad as you are saying they did. There were questions as to whether he could play deep in Poch's system but most of those doing the questioning recognised that he was a good player and wanted to hold onto him if possible.

Id say he looks fitter and he is also getting more games. We're also playing more as a team that suits someone like him who is playing a defensive creative role (if that's possible)

I do think that he is looking fitter but he is using the ball better too. He is more positive in possession which up until now had been one of his weaker areas. I do not think that is all down to the other players either, although our movement has obviously improved, because other players playing deep were doing better than him in this regard.

I do think that he is looking fitter but he is using the ball better too. He is more positive in possession which up until now had been one of his weaker areas. I do not think that is all down to the other players either, although our movement has obviously improved, because other players playing deep were doing better than him in this regard.

It's what I posted 30 mins ago

He is passing forward and direct... He also goes forward as he has Dier sitting behind

He has more freedom for the most part which helps him, it's why I always preferred him further forward. When he beats a man, which he does regularly, it's danger.

No one was slating Dembele. But it is funny how some can never hold their hands up and say they called it wrong. Tickles me.

Pochettino has been the difference. He set Dembele targets, in short to be more decisive. Dembele was almost happy to be in the background before. Poch backed and believed in him - you can be more and he demanded more.

From early on in the season Poch saw him as part of his team. He said something like he wasn't sure where his best position was, but it was clear he was in Poch's plans, Poch wanted to unleash his ability. And he put faith in him.

The second thing that was evident this season was Dembele playing with more assertiveness. It wasn't recognised on here - many judging him on his previous performances and reputation.

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone made him out to be as bad as you are saying they did. There were questions as to whether he could play deep in Poch's system but most of those doing the questioning recognised that he was a good player and wanted to hold onto him if possible.

It took 1 minute for Gazzasrightboot to find a comment, I know gutter boys been consistently critical along with plenty of others, like I said, I don't think you'd have to search too hard to find more OTT derogatory comments and there were plenty that wanted him sold during the summer.

I'm clearly in the Dembele camp and you're clearly harder to impress by him, we're going to be sensitive to different comments that are made, I remember the ones that oppose my view, just like you are probably remembering the comments that oppose yours? It's human nature.

It took 1 minute for Gazzasrightboot to find a comment, I know gutter boys been consistently critical along with plenty of others, like I said, I don't think you'd have to search too hard to find more OTT derogatory comments and there were plenty that wanted him sold during the summer.

I'm clearly in the Dembele camp and you're clearly harder to impress by him, we're going to be sensitive to different comments that are made, I remember the ones that oppose my view, just like you are probably remembering the comments that oppose yours? It's human nature.

I think there are plenty more. And fair play to @Gilzeantoscore for being honest with his opinion. I have never written off any player with the exception of Ade, and that is probably my failing. I even thought Soldado would come good.

However, I think Dembele's performances this season have been of a really high standard and I believe he is becoming an integral part of the team. Him along with Lamela are building cases for being some of the first names on the teamsheet, and that is to their and Poch's credit. I think it takes a lot of character to go out and prove yourself after you've been written off when both no doubt had opportunities to go and start with a clean slate elsewhere. If there is anything to learn from this, it is that you write off players at your peril. Poch obviously has pretty good judgement when it comes to retaining players, so when it puzzles us as to why he is persevering with certain players, bear these two (plus Rose and Walker) in mind when making that assessment.

There is no doubt that Dembele's performances are up a notch this season when compared to last. Quite why is up for debate. For one, he had a full and proper pre-season, but also the whole team is playing better around him so it would stand to reason that his performances would also improve as more options are presenting themselves to him. The one thing that I would say that he offers us over and above any other player, is the ability to retain the ball despite severe pressure. He will be our go to player when we just need to retain the ball and slow down play, but he is also bloody good at winning the ball back further up the field. There are not many players that are able to do that and that is why I think he deserves the plaudits that he is getting. Hopefully he signs a new contract before he starts chipping in with goals and assists!!

We all know that Gutter Boy exaggerates in order to try and get his point across. I would be very wary of using him as a barometer of opinion.

Last edited:
No one was slating Dembele. But it is funny how some can never hold their hands up and say they called it wrong. Tickles me.

Pochettino has been the difference. He set Dembele targets, in short to be more decisive. Dembele was almost happy to be in the background before. Poch backed and believed in him - you can be more and he demanded more.

From early on in the season Poch saw him as part of his team. He said something like he wasn't sure where his best position was, but it was clear he was in Poch's plans, Poch wanted to unleash his ability. And he put faith in him.

The second thing that was evident this season was Dembele playing with more assertiveness. It wasn't recognised on here - many judging him on his previous performances and reputation.

I'm happy to and have already done so on here. I am delighted to see him playing so well, being one of the first names on the team sheet and proving me wrong.

Back