• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Have always liked this guy and rated him but had become frustrated with him last season due to him not fulfilling his potential. Now he is the player we all thought we had signed from Fulham and with a few more goals he will be key for us.

That is how I felt about him as well, he always had talent but for whatever reason he failed to deliver it on a regular basis. This season the penny seems to have dropped and he has become more consistent. Long may it last.

He was quality for us last season after Christmas when he played as well to be fair. This isn't just a recent run of good form he's on. I think this idea needs flipping, he's been well worthy of a first team place for the whole time we've had him apart from a period of time under AVB when pretty much everyone looked brick. It seems as he's one of the only remaining players during that time that he's still getting dug out for those performances. For me they were the exception during his time with us, not the rule.

I completely accept/agree that his performances this season have taken him on to another level though.

Didn't see the entire game, but on MOTD they focused on him. 3 or 4 out of the 5 highlights they picked were him winning the ball/picking up the ball and releasing it with his next touch.

It looks like he's finally learning when and when not to release the ball. I honestly thought it was too late for that (said so in this very thread). Poch, I love you!

He was quality for us last season after Christmas when he played as well to be fair. This isn't just a recent run of good form he's on. I think this idea needs flipping, he's been well worthy of a first team place for the whole time we've had him apart from a period of time under AVB when pretty much everyone looked brick. It seems as he's one of the only remaining players during that time that he's still getting dug out for those performances. For me they were the exception during his time with us, not the rule.

I completely accept/agree that his performances this season have taken him on to another level though.

Quality player all along for me, as you say just at another level now....

Think we're in a minority unfortunately, he's "learnt how to pass now" "poch has made him more consistent", etc. etc. I didn't see this terrible player that a lot of others saw prior to this season, he's just better now.

I don't remember anyone on here saying that he was a terrible player. There were questions about whether he could hold down a first team place under Poch but that was as far as it went.

Think we're in a minority unfortunately, he's "learnt how to pass now" "poch has made him more consistent", etc. etc. I didn't see this terrible player that a lot of others saw prior to this season, he's just better now.
Last year he would brilliantly ghost past people, then turn back into trouble and waste that advantage. Now he gets past someone and utilises that achievement with a pass or whatever

I agree with you. Dembele has always been able to do that.

I don't remember anyone on here saying that he was a terrible player. There were questions about whether he could hold down a first team place under Poch but that was as far as it went.

Same here, some are reading into things that are not there. I wonder why?

Yeah as far as I remember it was always frustration that he lacked the rather key ability to move the ball on quickly - that's seemingly been coached in to him this season so everyone's happy

Yeah as far as I remember it was always frustration that he lacked the rather key ability to move the ball on quickly - that's seemingly been coached in to him this season so everyone's happy

This is thinking out loud rather than something I have looked into closely but I wonder if he is receiving the ball in space more often now, so has more time to consider his options. It seems easier to coach that into a player, and it is something that has improved across the squad under Poch, than teach a player to play with their head up.

The guy rarely assists, rarely scores and doesn't defend effectively. A luxury player of the highest order. He does possess exquisite skills, but without the former attributes he is worthless to the team.
Another player who has little, if any positive input to results.

Sorry to pick on you @Gilzeantoscore but I just wanted to show that some posters had written him off!

This is thinking out loud rather than something I have looked into closely but I wonder if he is receiving the ball in space more often now, so has more time to consider his options. It seems easier to coach that into a player, and it is something that has improved across the squad under Poch, than teach a player to play with their head up.

Possibly, if players know who is going to be where at certain times that helps also - I imagine he's probably be coached out of holding on to the ball too long more than anything though

I'm not going to do it and I don't expect you to either, but if you look at the match threads front last season and before they are plagued with Dembele slating (not this season) and I don't imagine you'd have to look too far back in this thread to find similar, anything before September I reckon.

I personally don't understand the "frustration" others have with him. You don't make the right decision all the time, not even Messi does. I said back in sep after his first couple of excellent games, he seems to be judged on a different barometer to other players, waiting on his bad game to get the dig in.

I'm not going to do it and I don't expect you to either, but if you look at the match threads front last season and before they are plagued with Dembele slating (not this season) and I don't imagine you'd have to look too far back in this thread to find similar, anything before September I reckon.

I personally don't understand the "frustration" others have with him. You don't make the right decision all the time, not even Messi does. I said back in sep after his first couple of excellent games, he seems to be judged on a different barometer to other players, waiting on his bad game to get the dig in.

The frustration, on my part at least, was that he'd beat players with ease, hold them off, shield the ball and then....keep hold of the ball for far too long allowing our opponents to reorganise and shut out any potential quick attack we may have put in to action - making it harder for us to break teams down, this part of his game has clearly changed for the better and long may it continue

The frustration, on my part at least, was that he'd beat players with ease, hold them off, shield the ball and then....keep hold of the ball for far too long allowing our opponents to reorganise and shut out any potential quick attack we may have put in to action - making it harder for us to break teams down, this part of his game has clearly changed for the better and long may it continue

I disagree that he did that though. What happened was he would beat a man and keep hold of the ball but not pass it decisively

It helps tha generally we have better movement now and also he can drive forward confident in Dier behind like he did when Sandro was there

i think it may be the options he has to pass to helped in that respect? We've improved in an attacking sense since the AVB days IMO.

Back