• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

I really like Poch's methods - everything I've read suggests that he's doing precisely what a modern coach fighting better resources should be.

I'm just warning that there's a few around that think this is the antithesis of football and will be complaining as soon as we struggle against a defensively organised home team.

When HR was boss and we struggled to create, people that didn't like him would blame his management style. It might have been that lack of attention to detail was at fault some of the time.

With AVB was boss and we struggled to create, people that didn't like him would blame his management style. It might have been that his lack of flexibility was at fault some of the time.

Hopefully, with Poch, we have a goldilocks coach. A motivator who allows some freedom, complete with a very solid game plan and meticulous attention to detail. And, as an added bonus, there doesn't seem to be an element of fans against him from the outset as we had with HR, AVB, TS etc.

Poch is quite simply a better coach than AVB, who despite being organised and prescriptive was not a very good coach. Maybe scara still has sour grapes re AVB? Time to let go and enjoy the here and now.

Poch's record of punching above his weight with limited resources, contrasts dramatically with AVBs.
Nothing to do with AVB, everything to do with a good half of this forum complaining that too much coaching ruins a team.

If it works under Poch I'm sure they'll all change their minds.

I also think you misunderstand me. I'm really looking forward to Poch and I'm fully behind his methods, I'm just warning that if people around here have any intellectual honesty they'll be giving him a hard time.

And, as an added bonus, there doesn't seem to be an element of fans against him from the outset as we had with HR, AVB, TS etc.

For that reason I think Poch may get away with it. People will hopefully give him long enough for memories to fade and for them to be able to 180 on their opinions.

For that reason I think Poch may get away with it. People will hopefully give him long enough for memories to fade and for them to be able to 180 on their opinions.

Agreed. Hopefully it will help our form in home games, get rid of that anxious atmosphere (at least a little bit). Poch wouldn't have been my choice, but I do like his style and I think he is someone that we can all unite behind, whatever our views of previous managers.

If you look at how much the likes of Silva, Cazorla, Mata etc went for then £27m for MS is ridiculous.

Pochettino knows all about that risk and he is prepared to accept it. Even if we do lose the odd goal in such a manner, he will tell the players to carry on. He will not blame them. His view is that the team will get far more out of it than they will suffer because of it.

But will the crowd be so tolerant?
Going one 1 nil down in the Prem tends to make everyone nervous.
It is a strategy which has high risk, arguably higher than AVBs system which was very similar.
I hope it works out but I can see it could be difficult to implement and hope it doesn't become Ramosesque.

No need to spend £27m when we have Nabil who can become that player and more. We need more game changers.

No need to spend £27m when we have Nabil who can become that player and more. We need more game changers.

i agree in regards to Bentaleb being that deep lying playmaker - my thoughts were more to do with that if Poch wants someone he likes/trusts we should backhim regardless of price.

Nothing to do with AVB, everything to do with a good half of this forum complaining that too much coaching ruins a team.
If it works under Poch I'm sure they'll all change their minds.

I also think you misunderstand me. I'm really looking forward to Poch and I'm fully behind his methods, I'm just warning that if people around here have any intellectual honesty they'll be giving him a hard time.

You're being too simplistic. Too much coaching AVB style does ruin a team, it stifles any individuality. In his first season players such as Ade were stifled in order to allow Bale the freedom to dominate. It's hard to think of any players who improved under him. Sherwood on the other hand focused too much on individuality and not enough on a system. Poch's style in my opinion is systems based while still bringing out the best from his players. Hence the number of players who improved under him and have now moved on.

You're being too simplistic. Too much coaching AVB style does ruin a team, it stifles any individuality. In his first season players such as Ade were stifled in order to allow Bale the freedom to dominate. It's hard to think of any players who improved under him. Sherwood on the other hand focused too much on individuality and not enough on a system. Poch's style in my opinion is systems based while still bringing out the best from his players. Hence the number of players who improved under him and have now moved on.
Not sure why you're bringing AVB into this.

I was repeatedly told that it was nothing to do with AVB and that strict, formulated methods of coaching with set plays would stifle and ruin a team. That simply picking the best players and making them feel all warm and fuzzy was enough.

I'm glad those people have moved the goalposts for Poch, at least he'll get a chance to help end the dinosaur era.

Not sure why you're bringing AVB into this.

I was repeatedly told that it was nothing to do with AVB and that strict, formulated methods of coaching with set plays would stifle and ruin a team. That simply picking the best players and making them feel all warm and fuzzy was enough.

I'm glad those people have moved the goalposts for Poch, at least he'll get a chance to help end the dinosaur era.

I didn't see masses of Southampton but from what I did see, their football under pouch was much much more entertaining then avbs.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a structured approach per say. just with avbs structured approach which was mind numbingly boring.

So im affraid if Pouch succeeds you will not be vindicated ;). Avb will still have a worse record then Sherwood in 2013\2014 and he still would have produced the most 'snoozeworthy' football I have ever seen spurs play.

I didn't see masses of Southampton but from what I did see, their football under pouch was much much more entertaining then avbs.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a structured approach per say. just with avbs structured approach which was mind numbingly boring.

So im affraid if Pouch succeeds you will not be vindicated ;). Avb will still have a worse record then Sherwood in 2013\2014 and he still would have produced the most 'snoozeworthy' football I have ever seen spurs play.
Again, I still don't see what this has to do with AVB or Dimothy for that matter.

The only relevance I see to AVB is that he and Poch have very similar systems. Other than that their situations couldn't have been more different.

Scara stop being such a twit please
Honestly, I really am trying to make this not about AVB (those who dislike him keep bringing him up to take little digs though).

What I am trying to do is point out that (based on the interview with MS in this thread) Poch has a style that won't sit very well with the "Systems don't win matches, players do" types. And I really honestly hope that they'll put their preconceptions about modern, "thinky" management styles behind them long enough to give Poch a chance.

I believe this can be done without the need for any reference to previous managers.

What's wrong with that?

Honestly, I really am trying to make this not about AVB (those who dislike him keep bringing him up to take little digs though).

What I am trying to do is point out that (based on the interview with MS in this thread) Poch has a style that won't sit very well with the "Systems don't win matches, players do" types. And I really honestly hope that they'll put their preconceptions about modern, "thinky" management styles behind them long enough to give Poch a chance.

I believe this can be done without the need for any reference to previous managers.

What's wrong with that?

I think the success of Algeria, the USA and Costa Rica teams at the World Cup demonstrated the importance of a system to the success of a team.

Each of those teams were considered outsiders to qualify from their group. Each of those sides delivered success with a smattering of good football.

The England team which, on paper is better than each of those other sides, failed to deliver spectacularly.

The success of a team is based on the quality of the system employed, but the better the players, the more likely it is that the system will enjoy success. Belgium are an example of that. The side didn't really appear to be tactically astute and yet, the quality of the players steered the side through until their demise against finalists Argentina.

Back