• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

LG Games -- Goals---Player

143----------(15) - Alonso (Liverpool)

111----------(13) - Modric (Tottenham)

176----------(14) - Carrick (United)

158----------(17) - Essien (Chelsea)

Modric is brick. Clearly.

the problem is though that all those other players mentioned here are defensive midfielders , modric is supposed to be an attacking midfielder , which is why he really should be contributing a few more goals ...

Alonso isn't a defensive midfielder, he's a deep-lying playmaker - just like Modric. The quicker people realise this and stop comparing him to Silva, Ozil, Sneijder and VDV etc the better.

LG Games -- Goals---Player

143----------(15) - Alonso (Liverpool)

111----------(13) - Modric (Tottenham)

176----------(14) - Carrick (United)

158----------(17) - Essien (Chelsea)

Modric is brick. Clearly.

the problem is though that all those other players mentioned here are defensive midfielders , modric is supposed to be an attacking midfielder , which is why he really should be contributing a few more goals ...

In terms of where he actually plays on the pitch I'd say he was pretty similar to Carrick, Alonso etc. But what makes people think of him as a more attacking midfielder is because he is good at dribbling too and likes to take players on.

It's a tactical decision that we've made to play him in the deeper role as we've had Van Der Vaart who plays in the advanced position. But if we played in in a more advanced role I think he'd chip in with a few more goals.

Having said that, he's missed some sitters in his time, often in big games too. Actually I can't think of any major ones this season, but in our run in at the end of last year he missed a great chance to make it 4-3 against Arsenal, and also another to put us 1-0 up away to Emirates Marketing Project. If we'd won those two games we'd have finished level on points with Arsenal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...amie-Redknapp-team-year-Clint-Dempsey-in.html

This Link here shows Modric is the 3rd highest chance creator in the league this season after Mata and Silva, he may not get the goals, but he is very good at creating chances for others. It's just that we don't take enough of these chances. Interestingly, three players on those chances created list play for Spurs; Modric (92), Bale (83) and VDV (73).

so we are creating loads of chances then , maybe more than any other team ? just not scoring enough , this has been an ongoing problem for more than a few years now and wont be resolved until we get a couple of top quality strikers in ! i wonder where we would have finished if WE had signed ba & cisse ...

In terms of where he actually plays on the pitch I'd say he was pretty similar to Carrick, Alonso etc. But what makes people think of him as a more attacking midfielder is because he is good at dribbling too and likes to take players on.

It's a tactical decision that we've made to play him in the deeper role as we've had Van Der Vaart who plays in the advanced position. But if we played in in a more advanced role I think he'd chip in with a few more goals.

Having said that, he's missed some sitters in his time, often in big games too. Actually I can't think of any major ones this season, but in our run in at the end of last year he missed a great chance to make it 4-3 against Arsenal, and also another to put us 1-0 up away to Emirates Marketing Project. If we'd won those two games we'd have finished level on points with Arsenal.

Comments like that are so pointless,every team could say that. I'm sure Arsenal had games where they wasted chances that should have won them more points, which then puts them back ahead of us so it's a waste of time thinking like that.

As for Modric, he is a deep lying playmaker and an exceptional talent with the ball at his feet. But his shooting from outside the box is average at best and his shooting power is so weak. However I enjoy the couple of crackers he scores a season nonetheless and not particularly bothered about his goal return because we won't get anyone better and he is a pleasure to watch.....

i dont think we get enough players in the box at crucial moments in a game , if you look at man u , arse etc they overload the penalty area at the right times . especialy as we usually only play with one recognised striker , when have you ever seen modric or parker get a scuffed goal / tap in , they are never in the right position to score , at least sandro does seem to give us a little bit more in this area ..

Alonso isn't a defensive midfielder, he's a deep-lying playmaker - just like Modric. The quicker people realise this and stop comparing him to Silva, Ozil, Sneijder and VDV etc the better.

if he is deep lying midfielder then perhaps we should have another player along side him ( in midfield ) who can chip in with some goals ! or even be a threat , because as good a player parker is he dosent threaten to opponents goal in any way ! so you have got 2 central midfielders with no height and little goal threat.

either that or change the shape of the team perhaps ..

if he is deep lying midfielder then perhaps we should have another player along side him ( in midfield ) who can chip in with some goals ! or even be a threat , because as good a player parker is he dosent threaten to opponents goal in any way ! so you have got 2 central midfielders with no height and little goal threat.

True dat! Maybe I have been a bit harsh on the wee fella. I'm sure alonso is better on corners though:twisted:

no mate, think about what you're saying....deep lying playmakers are often accompanied by another defensive presence beside them, not an attacking one. we were one of the few teams i can remember that played with a deep playmaker in thudd and more offensive guy beside him in modric ...and even then both CMs had to curb their enthusiasm for getting forward

modric plays as part of a 4 man midfield....in which case his forward games is tempered when we have the ball

can you think of any midfielders that get the amount of goal returns you are asking for that play in the centre of a 4 man midfield?

Modric isn't great at scoring, so what? I bet Usain Bolt is brick at the javelin, why does it matter?

Modrics job isn't primarily to score goals.

If the rest of the team did their job properly, we would not be complaining about Modrics lack of goals.

This is for iloveluka, Peter Crouch has scored 3 or 4 worldies in his career, that doesn't mean he is a good finisher.

Modric is a fantastic player, but the main difference between the likes of him and Xavi and Iniesta is their end product, i.e. more assists and more goals.

This is for iloveluka, Peter Crouch has scored 3 or 4 worldies in his career, that doesn't mean he is a good finisher.

Modric is a fantastic player, but the main difference between the likes of him and Xavi and Iniesta is their end product, i.e. more assists and more goals.

League totals -

Xavi:

Iniesta:

and that's for the best side in the world, is it a stretch to say Modric would have similar numbers if he'd had the likes of Messi, Villa, Pedro, Sanchez, Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovich etc around him? Infact, for someone that plays for Barca and is often deployed as one of a front 3 or a tip of a central 3, Iniesta's "numbers" aren't particularly great, but that's because football can't be defined by numbers.

League totals -

Xavi:

Iniesta:

and that's for the best side in the world, is it a stretch to say Modric would have similar numbers if he'd had the likes of Messi, Villa, Pedro, Sanchez, Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovich etc around him? Infact, for someone that plays for Barca and is often deployed as one of a front 3 or a tip of a central 3, Iniesta's "numbers" aren't particularly great, but that's because football can't be defined by numbers.

What about the assists too? Those two players also have a habit of popping up with important goals in big games e.g. Iniesta in the Champions League semi final and World Cup final.

You also don't see them take so many shots that go so tamely wide or into the keepers arms like Modric does.

extremely poor comparison and very lazy IMO. different systems, the top two elite players in CM and a team filed with the best players in the world competing on a weaker league .......not to mention i dont even think xavi scores that many goals and iniesta plays either as a wing forward or at the tip of a midfield 3.

extremely poor comparison and very lazy IMO. different systems, the top two elite players in CM and a team filed with the best players in the world competing on a weaker league .......not to mention i dont even think xavi scores that many goals and iniesta plays either as a wing forward or at the tip of a midfield 3.

I only made the comparison because a lot of people compare him to the likes of Iniesta (rightly or wrongly).

My opinion, you've got the likes of Xavi, Alonso, Fabregas, Schweinsteiger, Iniesta, Villa at the top, then Modric would be slightly below their level in the next tier.

The trouble is, we've got Lennon who doesn't get enough goals, Parker who doesn't contribute any, and Modric doesn't contribute much, kinda leaves a lot of pressure on Bale to get most of them from midfield, which he's done the last two seasons.

We definitely need to get a midfielder who gets goals, if that means changing the shape of the team a little then so be it.

Back