• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

I don't think it's a coincidence that our results have picked up, but it has nothing to do with Dawson. We were improving while Gallas was still playing and with both him and Kaboul back we could and probably will see Dawson drop to the bench by the end of the season. I think Dawson is benefiting from the team around him. We've got a pretty solid and hard working midfield.

I think Dawson has added some stability in our back four - he has played brilliantly (barring the odd lapse) and he actually fills me with much more confidence than Caulker and Verts together for example. Gallas wasnt improving - he was terrible and should be back up and used in the last moments of games when our backs are against the wall.

To say our improvement in results 'has nothing to do with Dawson' is a bit bang out of order and doing Dawson such a disservice. The guy has come in looked solid and has been a relative calming influence in our back four.

No doubt you will point me to stats (I hate stats) but our defensive performances have been much better with Dawson in the team than without and this is even in the absence of Sandro (most people went into fudgein meltdown when he got injured)

Didn't want him sold in the summer and I'm delighted he's still here, in the team and representing us as our captain.
He is absolutely our best defender, he is proven in the CL and he is the one who makes blocks and marshalls the defence. Yesterday he made several top drawer clearances - magnificent stuff. His role as captain is massively underrated too. At the end of yesterday's match - goes over to Bale and gives him a massive hug, then on to Loris and the sky mic picked up him saying, "Hey Hugo fudging class today!", then on to the fans, fist pumping and loving it. He is a massive presence in the dressing room and its people like this that you build a TEAM from.

As people have said - modern day legend :)

Didn't want him sold in the summer and I'm delighted he's still here, in the team and representing us as our captain.
He is absolutely our best defender, he is proven in the CL and he is the one who makes blocks and marshalls the defence. Yesterday he made several top drawer clearances - magnificent stuff. His role as captain is massively underrated too. At the end of yesterday's match - goes over to Bale and gives him a massive hug, then on to Loris and the sky mic picked up him saying, "Hey Hugo fudging class today!", then on to the fans, fist pumping and loving it. He is a massive presence in the dressing room and its people like this that you build a TEAM from.

As people have said - modern day legend :)

That's brilliant mate couldn't agree more.

Sorry I'm not having that. Whilst it is harsh to say our poor form was down to Gallas we definately look more solid with Dawson and LLoris. Aside from the "Heart and Soul" argument posters seem unable to appreciate Dawson's is actually a very good defender, I still maintain he is our best defender despite Kaboul being flavour of the month. We always, going back several seasons, look more solid when a fit Dawson plays.

Kaboul isn't flavour of the month he was one of the players of the season last year, and is technically superior, faster, and physically stronger than Dawson and this is coming from someone who rates Dawson highly....

Kaboul isn't flavour of the month he was one of the players of the season last year, and is technically superior, faster, and physically stronger than Dawson and this is coming from someone who rates Dawson highly....

I'll give you that he is faster and possibly technically superior but that does not make him a better defender. His positioning can be suspect, his concentration is often poor and although he had a good season last season he has not achieved anywhere close to the consistency Dawson has over the years. BTW Dawson was player of the season in 2009-10 and must have been close several times since. When Kaboul comes back after a long layoff I doubt he will come back immediately as the player we saw last season yet posters want him to replace Dawson? That sounds like FM stuff to me.

I'll give you that he is faster and possibly technically superior but that does not make him a better defender. His positioning can be suspect, his concentration is often poor and although he had a good season last season he has not achieved anywhere close to the consistency Dawson has over the years. BTW Dawson was player of the season in 2009-10 and must have been close several times since. When Kaboul comes back after a long layoff I doubt he will come back immediately as the player we saw last season yet posters want him to replace Dawson? That sounds like FM stuff to me.

You're right I wouldn't want him replacing Daws the second he's back fit, but when both are at their peak I know who is the better player. If you rate Dawson higher I'm fine with that, I'm happy to see him playing well and getting game time - he's a very likeable character...

This could turn into a Keane/Defoe thing when Kaboul comes back but I dont see why we couldnt play Kaboul at right back as he has played there before and has better defensive instincts than Walker and we still keep the pace element to cover the centre backs. Or Vertongen at left back when BAE needs a rest as he linked up really well with Bale earlier in the season on the left. Either way it doesnt mean Dawson must be dropped and settle for a place on the bench at best.

AVB: "We are grateful, in the end. We ended up being on the better side by the fact he agreed to stay with us. We were lucky in that sense. We won't start another season with five [central defenders].

"It's a difficult one. We have five top central defenders at the moment, a mixture of young players coming through with lots of experience, and then you have such tremendous central defenders as William [Gallas], Dawson and Younes Kaboul. My squads in the past are built on four central defenders.

"We decided to go with five this season because of a setback to Younes Kaboul. William has been a massive player for us this season… He's a player we trust a lot. Whatever we decide regarding his future, we'll have to wait and see, but we are aware of what a presence he's been for us this season."

Gallas is out of contract in the summer and, although proving reticent to speak on his own next step, the Frenchman did admit that qualifying for the Champions League would be a significant enticement to stay.

"Maybe [I will stay]," Gallas said with a smile. "That competition is the second best competition in the world. If we qualify I will be happy. Maybe, yeah, I will think more about. But I just want to finish my season very well and then I will make my decision at the end."

If its 4 from 5 I hope its Gallas that misses out. Daws has been excellent and I agree with other posters he is just the right type of personality you want in the team and in the dressing room.

I just have this nagging suspicion at the back of my head that Daws may still be considered surplus to requirements next season, but a lot of that is going to be decided IMO by how Younes comes back from his long lay off. If AVB wants another quick young CB as cover then I'm afraid daws will make way. But I hope I'm wrong.

Either way keep it up daws- such a refreshing change to see a footballer with such heart and love for the club and game even if he is a bit limited technically and pace wise.

Can someone explain the dramatic improvement in our defence in recent weeks compared to earlier in the season?

In my opinion;

Mainly the introduction into the team of Dawson and Lloris in place of Gallas and Friedel.

Secondly Walker is improving.

Thirdly, Verts is class.

Back