• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Hold on... He did inherit a very solid squad that should have findings fifth based on recent seasons

It wasn't like he lost any decent players

But he did so plenty of thins others wouldn't have done IMO like play the youngsters and for me he should get the credit for that as a minimum

We have to stick with him

I don't remember many thinking that last summer. Rose, Chadli and Lamela were pretty much universally derided.

I don't remember many thinking that last summer. Rose, Chadli and Lamela were pretty much universally derided.

3 players derided by some people. Some of it justified and some of it not as usual

It was hardly a weak squad. Nearly all internationals in the senior side and plenty of quantity for me top 6 was par for last season so you could argue that 5th was one place higher

Hold on... He did inherit a very solid squad that should have findings fifth based on recent seasons

It wasn't like he lost any decent players

But he did so plenty of thins others wouldn't have done IMO like play the youngsters and for me he should get the credit for that as a minimum

We have to stick with him

Absolutely he inherited decent players. But I say from what people on here are saying, those players are not decent at all. Soldado, Paulinho, Chiriches, Lamela, Capoue, Adebayor, Mason, Eriksen, Chadli and Bentaleb to name but a few.

The reality is that actually they are quite decent, and he got a very young side to fifth which I would say was a slight overachievement given the same group of players managed to underperform the previous season. Top 6 was the expectation in my mind and he met and slightly surpassed. Yet what we have is after game 3 of this season, half the squad are brick and the manager is brick. ;)

3 players derided by some people. Some of it justified and some of it not as usual

It was hardly a weak squad. Nearly all internationals in the senior side and plenty of quantity for me top 6 was par for last season so you could argue that 5th was one place higher

Yep. We have the sixth highest paid squad in the league and we have slightly over achieved by finishing sixth. I do think that Poch should be given some credit for doing this with such a young side after deciding that many established players were not up to scratch.

Ahh .. that's the point .. we can't afford the quality of player Cheat$ki can .. and even Mourinho felt he had to dispense with a player of the quality of Mata to make it work (something we would never have the luxury of doing)

The idea that there is this mythical creative player who can get us top 4, but also put in a shift and be great defensively is a mistake (those players if/when they do exist play for top 2 clubs) .. we can't afford those players, therefore we need a system that allows us to get the best out of the Chadli's/Eriksen's of the world, not one that somehow makes them into a workhorse and expecting them to still be effective.

I do agree with this and I liked your post for it .

I'm not asking for Poch to totally abandon his 4-2-3-1 but I do think Poch should seriously consider, also playing a 4-3-3 and freeing up the likes of Chadli, Eriksen ,Townsend and Lamela from their current defensive responsibilities.

We frequently have bad starts even with some great players in the squad

It's the sexy way...

The best start I remember football wise was the season we had Liverpool early doors on TV and Benny and Bassonb scored

That seemed to be a great start but I actually don't know points wise

Last edited:
I do agree with this and I liked your post for it .

I'm not asking for Poch to totally abandon his 4-2-3-1 but I do think Poch should seriously consider, also playing a 4-3-3 and freeing up the likes of Chadli, Eriksen ,Townsend and Lamela from their current defensive responsibilities.

I think that it is funny that a proposed solution to a lack of incisive attacking is to remove an attacking player.

I think that it is funny that a proposed solution to a lack of incisive attacking is to remove an attacking player.

It does seem odd eh? But I don't think our lack of incisive play upfront is down to numbers, otherwise we could advocate throwing on an extra forward, 4-1-3-2 or how about a good old 2-3-5?

Last edited:
We have too many players that we either don't know their best roles or want to play in similar positions.
Nothing wrong with the players but mason, bentaleb, eriksen, lamella and even dembelle who is much older and been a first team player longer yet none of us really knows there best position. One week they can look great, next week pants.
Mason and bentaleb want to go forward but are having to reign it in, not always successfully.
Eriksen is waiting so long to get the ball off dembelle or Harry to find a bit of space he's crowded out and to make it worse if the ball isn't released quickly the WFs and Harry ctn or drop back giving even less room.
Harry dropping back is counter productive at times, he's in front of the back four, they know where he is there's no danger. He wants the ball it's admirable but he needs to learn to lead the line and occupy the back line.

When it's as cramped as it was on Saturday, 17 players in 40 yards, pace isn't the answer. You don't tear up and and cul de sacs in a Ferrari.
Pace is for more open games. Saturday called for short pass and move, we tried it and Leicester didn't come out.

The "system" employed by Poch certainly doesn't look flexible from the sidelines. Looks rigidly turgid.

Is it the system or the players? If he is rigid in his adherence to a system, why have we bought N'Jie who is very different to the other players we have for the attacking positions?

I think we're overanalysing - the problem is simply the players we have aren't very good.

Walker, Vertonghen, Dembele, Davies, Mason, Chadli, Lamela - I mean, come on.

Is it the system or the players? If he is rigid in his adherence to a system, why have we bought N'Jie who is very different to the other players we have for the attacking positions?

Different player but will be sacraficed to the system at AM just like all our other flair players have been - Lennon, Townsend, Lamela for instance. Will you and others start to blame him for not tracking back enough and covering Walker?

Since when was Lennon a flair player? One of his main attributes over the years has been his hard work and defensive contribution. :confused:

Different player but will be sacraficed to the system at AM just like all our other flair players have been - Lennon, Townsend, Lamela for instance. Will you and others start to blame him for not tracking back enough and covering Walker?

If that is the case then I assume that Lamela and Townsend have been a free flowing attacking force under previous Spurs managers.

Eriksen is waiting so long to get the ball off dembelle or Harry to find a bit of space he's crowded out and to make it worse if the ball isn't released quickly the WFs and Harry ctn or drop back giving even less room.
Harry dropping back is counter productive at times, he's in front of the back four, they know where he is there's no danger. He wants the ball it's admirable but he needs to learn to lead the line and occupy the back line.
When it's as cramped as it was on Saturday, 17 players in 40 yards, pace isn't the answer. You don't tear up and and cul de sacs in a Ferrari.
Pace is for more open games. Saturday called for short pass and move, we tried it and Leicester didn't come out.
Good post. Eriksen needs the ball earlier, then he needs a runner to hit with a pass. He can't beat players or outsprint them, so he needs clever movement like Fabregas does.

People argue about Chel53a's success with the system but it's because the three behind Costa work so hard defensively they can carry Fabregas as Matic does the donkey work supported by Willian and Ramires for example

Plus their defenders don't really attack
Good post, there is a reason Mourinho got rid of the "best player in the Premiership, Mata". He couldn't afford to carry him. We are carrying too many, we can afford to carry one at most.

Good post, there is a reason Mourinho got rid of the "best player in the Premiership, Mata". He couldn't afford to carry him. We are carrying too many, we can afford to carry one at most.

I don't think we can afford to carry any unless we do get a genuine DM in.

We still have a defence that's liable to capitulate after conceding one goal and that needs fixing

I think Mourinho got rid of Mata because he had other options that were as good creatively and who were better defensively. He couldn't have Hazard, Mata and Oscar all playing at the same time and preferred Willian's tactical discipline. I'm pretty sure that if they didn't have Hazard or Willian, they wouldn't have got rid of Mata. Remember that Mata survived such managers as AVB, Ancelotti, Hiddink and FSW who all demand tactical discipline as well. It's just that they didn't have a plethora of younger, hungrier and more energetic midfielders that Mourinho had.

Back